The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You'll have great fun saving sex for marriage and then finding out that you and your partner are sexually incompatible.

I don't think I'd go in for casual sex myself, I'm not saying that. But there's nothing wrong with having sex in a long-term, serious relationship just because it doesn't have an arbitrary certificate denoting some measure of commitment to go along with it.
I used to believe that, then I took off the blinkers my parents set round my eyes and saw for myself. When done in the correct fashion sex out of marriage was fine, fun and never brought any serious problems. So yeah, SEX!
Reply 42
I don't believe it is wrong but whatever is right for you....

It is all about education. Teaching people about safe sex...what is available (contraception), and when the right time is for you. There should be more thought put into when to have sex.

There is no way I could have waited until marriage....who knows when that will be...and what if I don't want to get married...

Also what if the man you marry is CRAP in bed you have nothing to compare it with!!

lols....but if that is right for you then there is nothing worng with it. As long as you don't judge other people.
Reply 43
ChosenOne
For most people marriage is more than 'just a piece of paper'.

What IS marriage though?

What IS it about marriage that validates the sex?

The commitment? Then why not before? Do unmarried couples not feel that way? Can it be done when you are engaged?

Etc.
Reply 44
Sisterelena
This might sound like an old fashioned stance, but I don't believe in sex before marriage. For religious reasons I am not allowed to engage in sexual behaviour and I wonder what others think about this.
Yes it can be hard but I think it's worth it and I feel better for it.
"Because I'm worth it!"
Just think what society might be like if everyone followed this rule. Would it be better - fewer sexual diseases, less promiscuity, less broken relationships, fewer unwanted children, fewer broken hearts, less getting involved with the wrong sorts of people before you know them.
I believe that sex causes a strong link on many levels - physical, emotional and spiritual between you and another person before you really know whether or not you are compatible.
Inappropriate sex can cause us to be spiritually debased, for example via one night stands and other unsavoury activities.
I believe that God created sex for marriage and marriage for sex.
What do others think? and what are others' attitudes. Do you believe in just following your feelings or are there any constraints on your behaviour?

i completely agree with you...i know it is hard to resist but it is worth it..
sex is definitely made for marriage
Good for you.
Reply 46
tazarooni89
You could say that about anything though.

Just because another species does something doesn't make it beneficial for us to do the same thing.

Dogs defecate in public.
Scorpions rape each other
Spiders kill their sexual partners
Rabbits kill their children
etc.

In this post, I am not trying to prove that sex before marriage is wrong. I'm just trying to show that "it is natural because other species do it" is not a great reason for us to do it as well.

but of those, 3 of them obviously have no benefit to the victim, dogs defecating in public is hardly fair seeing as they lack the ability to use toilets.

to compare it to having sex before marriage though is ridiculous. what's the difference between having sex before marriage and after marriage? What if you don't want to get married? should you be deprived of a natural instinct to have children?
*Lola_Stars*
No it isn't.

I don't personally want to sleep with random people all the time, I don't crave sex and I don't want it whenever. Long term relationship sex is what I personally prefer.

But each to their own. I don't think people should impose their views and state when it is right and wrong to have sex. (Not referring to you, OP).

Sex should be done whenever it feels right, whenever two (or more) people want it.

Immature? I don't think so.

Read between the lines. :rolleyes:

So why didn't you write all that crap before? You just put "sex whenever" like some sort of teenage slapper.
Reply 48
I don't believe in marriage before sex. Each to their own.
Reply 49
I hate to add to shizzstorms (lol, got filtered), but I just wanted to agree with the OP's opinion because I know how it sometimes seems that nobody else in this world does. :smile:
Reply 50
If that's what you believe, fine.

However I disagree.
I guess you have your reasons, but personally, I don't think sex should be such a big taboo. We need to start living in the 21st century and start realising that it's not that big a deal! But the reasons you gave were valid, which is a lot more than what I can say for some people.
Reply 52
I agree with you aswell :smile:)
DominF
I don't believe in sex at all. I think it's just a myth made up to make me feel bad for not getting any.

LOLZZZZZZZ
KayleeLand
So why didn't you write all that crap before? You just put "sex whenever" like some sort of teenage slapper.

All that crap? You mean the one line?

"I believe in sex whenever."

... because I do?

It's your interpretation that has 'teenage slapper' written all over it. :o:
Reply 55
Fair enough OP :smile:
munn
to compare it to having sex before marriage though is ridiculous. what's the difference between having sex before marriage and after marriage? What if you don't want to get married? should you be deprived of a natural instinct to have children?

Well given that the OP is a Christian, I'll speak from that point of view.

The difference between having sex before marriage and after marriage is that you are only (intending to) have sex with one person for your entire life, as is your partner.

So if you get pregnant, you've minimised the fear that one of you will run off, leaving the other with the baby.
You've minimised the risk of sleeping with someone only to catch chlamidya from them

etc.

Obviously if you're very liberal about marriage, and you marry and divorce and cheat on your spouse very often as you please, then it makes no difference.
I also hate the assumption that things will be solved by banning it. Yes, that really worked with prohibition and drug usage, didn't it?

Banning does nothing. All about proper education.
Reply 58
:eek3:
Doodahdoo
You realise that marriage in biblical times was a formal arrangement, and rarely anything to actually do with love? And so the idea of marriage in those times is actually very, very different to marriage today?
And the whole Mary being a virgin thing - mistranslation of virgin, can also be used to mean 'young woman'.

Why is a one-night stand 'unsavoury'?

And yes, it may lead to less stis and less pregnancy - but if we believe what the pope says, ignore the pregnancy one, and the sti one - well, only if people remain truthful. However, it also wasn't uncommon for affairs to happen left, right and centre in biblical times, so no, it may not cause a drop in sti rates.

Respect you on the explaining your view thing.
But please don't judge others based on it. I respect your view, but I don't accept you calling me 'spiritually debased' for having sex with my partner who I have been going out with for a year, or for actually (shock!) enjoying sex.

I hate this assumption that christian people are somehow more moral or better people because they're christian. At the end of the day, they're still people, and people cock up.

:yep: HELLS YEAH!!!! oh am I aloud to say hell? :eek3:
Reply 59
I think the OP made a lot of very good points and I definitely agree that in our culture there is a lack of morals that can be related to the overt sexuality that is expected adn the lack of understanding for those that do not want to partake in this. However I personally would have a great problem marrying someone that I hadn't had sex with. I have a lot of respect for your choice and I hope that you get the same respect from others.

Latest

Trending

Trending