In desperate need of help/ opinions! All appreciated! Watch

BenBobular
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey all...

So I am now feeling the pressure of Uni and in the run up to exams I've started to think more about it and about what I plan on doing after education. I've applied to Plymouth Uni to do Law and if I get the grades will be going, but its evident that it isn't at all highly regarded among Law Firms and although a top job isn't what I seek, the prospects and choice would be nice and I now slightly regret choosing Plymouth.

Simply, my problem is whether or not to take a gap year. With no exageration I have done shockingly in my AS, gaining only C's. This was, in 100% honestly, with NO effort whatsoever. This isn't me trying to make myself sound more intelligent, but I know I can achieve so much better with effort and hard work, and I am contemplating taking a year out, retaking my A Levels after looking into private tutors and colleges, and looking for work experience placements with local Solicitor Firms, just to gain an insight and also to add to my Personal Statement. I'd also like to continue with a part time job in order to gain some extra funds for Uni.

So I was just hoping others would give me advice?! Because I know that with the effort I can get better grades and therefore attend a better University. Should I retake my A Levels in my gap year and reapply for 2010 entry to a better Uni to improve chances of a better career path?

Thanks all
Jenna_K
Report 9 years ago
Hi

I know alot of people from Uni Plymouth who are doing law. it has big capacity of students and im sure not all of them got above c's at a-level. i guess its down to personal expectations and what level you personally want to achieve.

to be honest i dont think taking a year out will help you. you should go for it. you could get a job while at plymouth to fund your studies.

all the best, jenn
BenBobular
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Yeahhh I spose I've heard alot of "Its what you make it" and thats the view I take, I think that if I put the effort in, I'll get where I want to be.. Perhaps I wont make it as far as those in top Uni's, but its how productive I am..

Another thing putting me off is the pretentious people you find doing Law! So many I know of are arrogant beyond belief and you can tell that they are the ones that yes, may be succesful, but will also probably be divorced by the time there 30 for being such a workaholic cretin

I was thinking of doing a GDL after hopefully doing Business or something of that variety. I just feel I need more time to contemplate my choices...
Jenna_K
Report 9 years ago
well you get that arrogantness pretty much everywhere. not to say all law students are like this but, i lived with a law student this acadamic year just gone, and she has the biggest attitude! she has the nerve to stand there and say that everyone else has attitude apart from herself!!! that has nothing to do with anything on this post though... just thought i'd tell you haha

anyway! yes you do have the right attitude but i wouldn't worry about anyone or anything else to be fair. just do what you gotta do. when your degree is finished, you never have to see or speak to those who you dont want too, ever again! even when your on your course you dont have to be around those type of people, you make your own choices and people will naturally fall into groups of mates. like i said in my last post, the plymouth law course has a huge amount of students. the majority of people are not like the above though. its just the losers that stand out above the good guys

all the best in making your decision, jenn
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (343)
37.82%
No - but I will (72)
7.94%
No - I don't want to (64)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise