Why did you choose IB? Watch

This discussion is closed.
IB The Great
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jenny_D)
i chose IB coz...apparently universities love IB students...
I watched d news d other day abt how a-levels are not strict enough dat...soona or lata IB will take over a-levels.
Shoulda dun A-levels...all this IB is 2 much stress...including EE, cAS n TOK... wudnt need 2 do dat if i dun a-level...
anyway...got 9 days left til everythings over.. yay!!!
I just want to suggest that you use proper English... I personally don't like the kind of English you used in your post....
NotSmartEnough
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by IB The Great)
I just want to suggest that you use proper English... I personally don't like the kind of English you used in your post....
sorry man but u sound like a total dork. Who cares? honestly... :p:
umaker
Report 13 years ago
its 1.30 at nite and im on a complete sugan hi. and i read u complaining bout the use of english and it had me on the floor. no offence or nuthing but seriously! its just a quick post on a forum, its nuthin big
fourfootten
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by umaker)
its 1.30 at nite and im on a complete sugan hi. and i read u complaining bout the use of english and it had me on the floor. no offence or nuthing but seriously! its just a quick post on a forum, its nuthin big
Especially when you're on a sugan hi! teehees !
umaker
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fourfootten)
Especially when you're on a sugan hi! teehees !
:p: totally! dont u know what they are? dont u have sugan his where u come from? what primitive land do u live in?
fourfootten
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by umaker)
:p: totally! dont u know what they are? dont u have sugan his where u come from? what primitive land do u live in?
Oh they have plenty of sugan where I come from. I have a little bit for breakfast everyday! It keeps me from falling asleep while walking to class...
umaker
Report 13 years ago
Oh they have plenty of sugan where I come from. I have a little bit for breakfast everyday! It keeps me from falling asleep while walking to class...

haha, i like u. so how are you planning to study where?
SapphireOfNada
Report 13 years ago
what's a sugan hi? just wondering.
No we dont have them here. we have plenty of other things though so COME AND VISIT US! we have plenty of clean beaches, to begin with.

>>>>>Come to Greece/ when i'll be awaaaaaaaay>>>>>>>>>
phew. i think i should rest now. too much propaganda
cuuba
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by SapphireOfNada)
what's a sugan hi? just wondering.
No we dont have them here. we have plenty of other things though so COME AND VISIT US! we have plenty of clean beaches, to begin with.

>>>>>Come to Greece/ when i'll be awaaaaaaaay>>>>>>>>>
phew. i think i should rest now. too much propaganda
haha, come TO ESTONIA. we also have plenty of cold beaches and hot *****es.
COME AND VISIT US :handkiss: :girlshit: :eviltongu
galledeluxe
Report 13 years ago
Why did u choose IB??? Thats what Im asking myself eversince I had this Computer Science Exam today
cuuba
Sometimes, like today I do not regret that I chose IB..
Today I 'raped' History HL P1 & P2..
That was awesome
umaker
Report 13 years ago
a sugan hi is actully a very interasting thing, its a beautiful and unique thing, it takes one sometimes by surprise and has a wonderfull affect on the person.

a sugan hi is me spelling sugar hi wrong.
galledeluxe
Report 13 years ago
Yeaah I thought so as well ... what a sourcework and Paper 2 was quite straight forward as well ... but this doesnt help me none now ... I screwed Comp. Science ... big time .. and I bet I am not the only one in the world ...
fourfootten
Report 13 years ago
I chose IB because that's the only way I'd get a good education at my school... And I chose my school because it gave me a better vibe than my neighborhood school (where I would have done AP)

Actually I have decided that I do not need sugan hi's to keep myself awake during class. I have a natural high that kicks in whenever I get less than four hours of sleep... which, sadly, happens very often. Strangely enough though, the nights where I sleep 6+ hours are followed by extremely sleepy days... who knew I'd need a sugan hi not when I don't get enough sleep but when I get 6+ hours? :confused:

I'm in California and I'm staying in California once the IB torture is over. I've heard that college is actually easier than IB... :confused: hrmmm... depends on where you go I suppose?
Sinuhe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Actually I have decided that I do not need sugan hi's to keep myself awake during class. I have a natural high that kicks in whenever I get less than four hours of sleep... which, sadly, happens very often. Strangely enough though, the nights where I sleep 6+ hours are followed by extremely sleepy days... who knew I'd need a sugan hi not when I don't get enough sleep but when I get 6+ hours? :confused:
Err ... six hours? Only six hours? Wow. I could never make it on so little sleep. I need my 8-9 hours! And I'm not surprised you're sleepy after six hours' sleep: I'm far more surprised that you're not when you only get four ...

Oh, and now that I'm replying, I could answer the original question myself, too. I'm in IB because it's a lovely programme. And it's recognised by UK universities: I wanted to try out my luck at Oxford, and they're far more familiar with the IB than our national Matura. I was somewhat reluctant about joining since the programme seems so much narrower at first glance than the national programme, where everyone does certain subjects even if he or she isn't taking them for the final external exams. I really would have liked to take a further year of history (which is just terrible in the IB: only the most boring part of history is covered, namely the 19th and 20th centuries ... positively awful!), physics and biology; luckily, having chosen philosophy for group 3 I didn't miss out on any of the obligatory subjects. And taking seven subjects helps, too.
Still the IB programme is far better in the sense that it fosters individual thinking and independence, though sometimes I must wonder if being effectively forced into doing so isn't rather contrary to IBO's goals.
Also, there were no grades in these last two years, which was lovely - far less stress, especially in the first year. Tests yes, but only as feedback for us.

Overall I really like the IB and I'd certainly apply to do it again if I had to make that decision again. Even if it is somewhat demanding at times.

Though I am glad that it's just a fortnight until it's all over ...
NotSmartEnough
Report 13 years ago
[QUOTE=Sinuhe]Err ... six hours? Only six hours? Wow. I could never make it on so little sleep. I need my 8-9 hours! And I'm not surprised you're sleepy after six hours' sleep: I'm far more surprised that you're not when you only get four ... [QUOTE]

haha i got 3 last night... great way to do things before history paper 3 :cool: (i probably shouldnt be proud of that)
cuuba
[QUOTE=NotSmartEnough][QUOTE=Sinuhe]Err ... six hours? Only six hours? Wow. I could never make it on so little sleep. I need my 8-9 hours! And I'm not surprised you're sleepy after six hours' sleep: I'm far more surprised that you're not when you only get four ...

haha i got 3 last night... great way to do things before history paper 3 :cool: (i probably shouldnt be proud of that)
I like your signature Dave... "RO TULS" haha..
Emmy B
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did it cos i wanted to be different. All my mates were A levels, the normal thing to do here and i wanted to be different so i did the IB! Kinda back fired though cos i didnt no what i was letting myself in for but hay, im almost done now and their still studing so in that way its good!
ns87
Report 13 years ago
I chose it because it would be sensible after getting used to the MYP (Middle Years Program - part of the IB, if you didn't know) in Middle School. Plus most international schools offer the IB, and I wanted to stay at an international school. So, the IB came along with that choice. No regrets!
may2005
Report 13 years ago
I was small and stupid too, and actually thought that doing the IB was "cool". I was carried away by all the IB advertising about having the highest standards and graduates are liked by all famous universities bla bla bla. Call me crazy, but I am the sort of person that actually likes studying (well, most of the time at least), and I thought that IB was perfect for me. I didnt want to go to a stupid program where I would be wasting three years of my life learning nothing.

But once I got into the IB, I sort of started to regreted it, because I gradually realized how much the IB is fixated with formalism. One extreme example being CAS dairies. I like doing CAS, and I agree with the idea of it. But writing CAS dairies was one of the stupidest thing that I ever had to do in my short life so far. And the Group Four project, a great idea for students to interact and work in groups, but Communism was also a great idea, and does it work in reality? No. And the stupid tests, especially psychology, people have to spend more time memorising IB terminology than actually trying to understand the material. And those terminology you probably wont be using at all if you decide to study psychology in university. Not to mention the A1 language courses and ToK classes, most of the time is used to deal with IB formalities. I dont actually mind spending time learning stuff, but the thing is that in the IB, you spend so much time trying to learn or do stuff that dont actually make any sense or help you in any slightest way.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (52)
98.11%
No (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads