Please give me advice for either graduate jobs or jobs in general. Watch

kevsmith
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have just had my last exam last friday and am now desperatly trying to find jobs. I applied to a few graduate schemes months ago but them took a break from it while I tried to finish my dissertation and revise for exams.

I have (fingers crossed) a Bsc (Hons) in Computing. I think I did well enough to get a 2:1 or a high 2:2.

My problem is I am not sure where to look for jobs that I am suitable for, I have used graduate-jobs.com and milkround.com but I can never find jobs that I think I could do.

Sorry that this message is a bit of mess but I am just trying to put all my thoughts down at once.

Bascially I need help finiding a good site I can use to find jobs (either graduate schemes or not) that I could do with my degree. For the moment I just want a job around the oxford area, even if its not the best job for my degree I am happy to settle for something related to my degree if it is going to give me expereince.

If anyone can offer any help please reply to this message.
ttx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kevsmith)
Bascially I need help finiding a good site I can use to find jobs (either graduate schemes or not) that I could do with my degree. For the moment I just want a job around the oxford area, even if its not the best job for my degree I am happy to settle for something related to my degree if it is going to give me expereince.
Restricting yourself to one area is going to make it much harder for yourself, why do you not want to move away from Oxford ?

Also given that these are graduate jobs that you are looking at, why do you think that you'll not be able to do them. What sort of jobs are you looking at and what sort of job do you want ?
kevsmith
I'm moving to oxford so I really need a job in Oxford, Reading, London or any where near that area.

The graduate jobs I find online usually always say a computer science degree where mine is just straight computing. A lot of the time the jobs it brings back I have absolutly no idea what the description is talking about, the jobs that are listed under the computing or IT sector all seem to be way too advanced for what I think I can do.

Like I said the jobs it finds don't seem to compare at all with the things I have been taught on this degree.

I don't even no what type of job I want, I don't really have a career path so I can't say I want to be a network manager or something. All I know is that I want a job working in IT that can hopefully lead to higher places later down the line when I feel I know what I want to do.

Can anyone tell me a good site to look for jobs? or a way to find out the type of jobs I can do with my degree?
geeksandtherest
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm moving to oxford so I really need a job in Oxford, Reading, London or any where near that area.

The graduate jobs I find online usually always say a computer science degree where mine is just straight computing. A lot of the time the jobs it brings back I have absolutly no idea what the description is talking about, the jobs that are listed under the computing or IT sector all seem to be way too advanced for what I think I can do.

Like I said the jobs it finds don't seem to compare at all with the things I have been taught on this degree.

I don't even no what type of job I want, I don't really have a career path so I can't say I want to be a network manager or something. All I know is that I want a job working in IT that can hopefully lead to higher places later down the line when I feel I know what I want to do.

Can anyone tell me a good site to look for jobs? or a way to find out the type of jobs I can do with my degree?

Sorry to say but you do sound a bit stick up yourself in thinking that what you learn in theory will be exactly the same as in the real practical world.

Go do your research first and also be prepared to travel to work at least 1 hour and 30 minutes everyday.

Plus your degree sounds good have you though of being a freelancer designing software systems for businesses and companies as such.
alan910_2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Take up a job at PC world, make your way up to a supervisor, and then, in 40 years time, look back at your sad life and wonder where it all went wrong...

Alternatively, go on gumtree.com.
kevsmith
(Original post by geeksandtherest)
Sorry to say but you do sound a bit stick up yourself in thinking that what you learn in theory will be exactly the same as in the real practical world.

Go do your research first and also be prepared to travel to work at least 1 hour and 30 minutes everyday.

Plus your degree sounds good have you though of being a freelancer designing software systems for businesses and companies as such.

I think you mean stuck up :rolleyes: lol

I never said what I learnt at uni would be the same, but you would think it would have some baring on the type of jobs I was looking for. Travel is not a problem I will gladly travel 2 hours a day if it means I have a job.

Now I am being stuck up but I don't want to have done a 3 year degree to work with the sack of **** you find in PC world :p:

Thanks I'll check gumtree now!
geeksandtherest
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you had your head in your books i would advice you to try temporarily using the skills and knowledge that you learnt for something like going into local business or organisations even schools and either start volunteering as a junior computer system engineer only if you know what you will be doing plus you will be getting actual work experience to put on your CV apart from your degree qualifications.
james221
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what uni?

what did you do other than study at uni?

find a job and then move there!
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have (fingers crossed) a Bsc (Hons) in Computing. I think I did well enough to get a 2:1 or a high 2:2.

My problem is I am not sure where to look for jobs that I am suitable for, I have used graduate-jobs.com and milkround.com but I can never find jobs that I think I could do.
So you're saying you don't think you could get a graduate job in IT?

I'd suggest some schemes like the one I'm, but the deadlines were six months ago.

I'd suggest you apply in the next recruitment season.
kevsmith
MMU

The only other work I have done is office work.
james221
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Look, i'm going to be harsh here: MMU is good and if you have a 2:1 you will have a ok degree from an ok uni, the rest is really up to you. No one here knows nearly enough about you to offer you any useful advice, So get on google and start looking at all the different graduate jobs you could get, work out what looks interesting and start applying. this is a long and painful process, each graduate application will take a couple of days (and you could easily do 20+), and then more time if you get to interview. Obviuosly you should ahve done this about a year+ ago but better late than never...

cheer up, stop procrastinating and get on with it...

if you put in the grunt work you'll get a graduate job for 2010, in the mean time try and get some more skills and work experiance....
kevsmith
I think your being generous saying MMU is an ok uni! there careers department is a joke I have gone to see them a number of times but they are never in or just say come back later.

Ok I think I will be lucky to find a graduate job so I will carry on applying but also apply for ones in 2010. In the mean time though can you give me any advice on finding a job in the IT area? Any good sites is all I am asking for.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
I think your being generous saying MMU is an ok uni! there careers department is a joke I have gone to see them a number of times but they are never in or just say come back later.

Ok I think I will be lucky to find a graduate job so I will carry on applying but also apply for ones in 2010. In the mean time though can you give me any advice on finding a job in the IT area? Any good sites is all I am asking for.
http://www.reed.co.uk/it/ Even if you start with short term work that isn't directly related to what you want to do its better than nothing. Start somewhere and you might find out about other opportunities within the company or just have some kind of experience on your CV. Just a degree won't really get you far with a grad scheme!
suicidal_dream
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
most grad schemes open for applications in september (which i found out a little late in december this year...).

I would advise you to a/ look at companies which offer grad schemes and see if you can sign up for notifications for when applications open up this year.
Also, as others have said look for some type of employment which has transferrable skills - at least it will look like you're making the effort then.
Also perhaps get your CV checked by someone either at a careers centre or the job centre and check all of your info is as good as it can be.

Check out, reed as others have said, job centre plus, grad-jobs, graduate jobs websites (do a search in google, i'm sure it'll find some) as well as Monster and just put yourself out there.
Also check local newspapers - you never know what might turn up.

Add job websites to your bookmarks in your IE/firefox and check regularly. don't sit on your laurels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads