Broadband in Stafford Watch

jrstanley
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Quick question for those of you in private accom. in Stafford... anyone have any comments about service/speed on Virgin Media broadband and o2 broadband?

Thinking about options for next year when we're renting!

thanks!
Lderan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would suggest going with o2, virgin media is only good in a few select parts of stafford from my and the people i know have experienced
I get roughly 2-16mbps while paying for a 20mbps connection
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well Lderan, we did for a week or so get about 200 Kbps, methinks....
Lderan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We do get it occasionally, like once every month if you were lucky and no one else was in the house lol.
Qu3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your decision might depending on your house.. Alot of students op for Virgin Media which results in BT phone lines being disconnected or in my case not even installed.. Getting one installed adds extra cost as well as activation though the BT network.. Not to mention you'll have to wait around 3 weeks for most ADSL companies to connect you into the exchange.

If however you go for ADSL go for Bethere.co.uk, Much better than O2..

Virgin Media however this year have been upgrading Stafford and it has slowly got better over the year..
Wiggler
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i'm with plus net and we pay for up to 8meg business. and we get 5.5 - 6mbps constantly. we dont suffer from any drop outs or times of the day where the speed seems to drop. plus net have been aw3some for us
Xtrm2Matt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm with (and have been since 1999 on 56k!) Virgin Media. We've got fibre up to the box then I believe it's called a 'cox' cable right up to the modem. We're on 20MBit so I get a full 2.25MB/s at any time of the day (providing I don't download to much during peak).

The speed you'll get from the copper cable providers (so, everyone but Virgin Media) will depend on how far away from the exchange you are. The exchange in Stafford is at the College in town. I believe you'll start noticing significant speed drops if you're over 1km from it.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Where in Stafford are you? And how are you getting such amazing speeds?
jrstanley
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hrm, apparently there's not a BT line at the house (according to current tenants) so wondering if it's worth the hastle... it'd still be cheaper, as I'd be able to get a discounted o2 broadband contract.

What with 50mb available now, everybody's talking about wanting that... but for £50/mo it's hella expensive! Especially if everyone decides to go for it, and there's just not the capacity to deliver the speeds.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There isn't the capacity to deliver 20 Mb 99% of the time....the only time you see anything vaguely close to it is around 5 am for a few hours and that's usually only 15 Mb at best.
Qu3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Virgin will give you better speeds over o2. They share the exchange with others who get BT wholesale adsl..
IMO Virgin beats adsl 9 times of 10..
Lderan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cable at my home is a stable awesome connection, in stafford its intermittent trash that we rarely get over 14 mbps with
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
    Health and Social Care Open Day - Stafford Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 9 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads