Computer science in clearing, how common? Watch

Dan345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, can someone tell me how common computer science normally appears in clearing from top universities, such as York, Newcastle, Manchester etc.
calvinuk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I read somewhere the other day that, whilst there'd been like a 5% increase in applications to universities, there was a 15% decrease in applications to do computer science.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why not apply through Ucas Extra, you've still got time?

It's not a popular subject so judging by the amount of CS courses still taking applications (which is almost every university I've come across) I'd say there's a high chance.
Dan345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
Why not apply through Ucas Extra, you've still got time?

It's not a popular subject so judging by the amount of CS courses still taking applications (which is almost every university I've come across) I'd say there's a high chance.
I've already applied to nottingham to do computer science and management studies, and they offered my ABB, and i think i would only get AAC. so i'm worried that i might not meet the offer. But if i do, what do you think is better for a career in IT consultancy, computer science, or computer science and management studies? and do you think i could switch when i get my results?
0404343m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You'll be fine- CS was extremely popular during the dotcom bubble of the later 1990s. From the early 00s its suffered a massive drop in applications- I know of two Scottish Universities, both regarded amongst the best in the UK, that used to have 400 first years and around 200 graduates every year up until the turn of the millenium, now both have around half of that. Getting in if you miss your offer by one grade (especially if one is higher) shouldn't be a massive issue I think.
calvinuk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, I reckon you'll be fine, stereotypically "geeky" subjects are never typically competitive, apart from at the very top universities, despite often having great job prospects.

For example at Kings college London, they typically give out 300 offers for their Physics course, but last year only 320 applied.
username153949
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its not a popular course, there will be spaces in there at clearing
ParadoxSocks
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been checking around the high end computer science courses for this year and quite a few have unexpected places. Try emailing to see if they'll consider your late application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads