Doing the utter wrong degree - want to be OT Watch

gandalfluvver
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm really doing the wrong degree and it's too late to back out. I'm doing a BA in modern langs. at the mo, 2 yrs left. I always knew I didn't want to do interpreting, translation, teaching etc. I certainly don't want to be an academic. I always knew I wanted to be in healthcare but never quite understood the full extent of careers in the field. Now I know that I want to re-train as an OT.
I'm hoping to get some volunteering experience in the field - as much as poss. Is it likely to be able to get on a BSc course after my BA in an utterly unrelated subject? Or have I just trapped myself in a non-career??
What should I do? Any advice??
Vielen Dank :rolleyes:
Akkuz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
After this degree you can go and do another degree. :yep: Shouldn't be difficult.
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course it's possible to change careers and degrees, nothing is stopping you but your determination.

But can I just ask why you took a BA in Modern Langs if you always knew you didn't want to teach, translate, interpret or go into academia?
Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can apply for a second degree in OT
Get as much experience as possible in different areas - theres loads of places they might be.
I cant see why you shouldnt be able to apply for the OT degree afterwards.
You could do a masters or postgrad at a number of unis heres the list from the HPC
http://www.hpc-uk.org/aboutregistrat...vedcourses_ot/

I cant see why with work experience and with a good mindset you cant re-train in OT, theres other fields as well. http://www.hpc-uk.org/education/programmes/
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
NB to do another Batchelors now will mean paying full international fees - i.e. about 12k per year (because it's a second degree at the same level). You can also only get 5 years of student loan so some of it you'll need to support yourself too...
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
NB to do another Batchelors now will mean paying full international fees - i.e. about 12k per year (because it's a second degree at the same level). You can also only get 5 years of student loan so some of it you'll need to support yourself too...

However we need to bare in mind the degree the OP wants to do- which will be fully funded by the NHS :yep:

Plus OP you'll be entitled to the bursary and you'll need to contact the student loan company regarding help you can get from there

good luck!
gandalfluvver
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for your help, all...
I wasn't sure if I'd be eligible for nhs grant etc. being as it'd be a second degree. Worth checking out...'cos i certainlt couldn't afford it. I also don't understand why I'm being told i'd have to pay full international fees?? I'm not an international student.
i'm sure technically you can do this sort of career change, but i just imagine that most go straight into OT or have a related degree...i guess work experience would improve my chances?
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gandalfluvver)
I wasn't sure if I'd be eligible for nhs grant etc. being as it'd be a second degree. Worth checking out...'cos i certainlt couldn't afford it. I also don't understand why I'm being told i'd have to pay full international fees?? I'm not an international student.
i'm sure technically you can do this sort of career change, but i just imagine that most go straight into OT or have a related degree...i guess work experience would improve my chances?

you will get the nhs bursary, regardless of first or second degrees, ignore what that girl said, you wont need to pay for international fees, you'll get the NHS WILL PAY your tuition!!

and yes work experience

maybe volunteer with vitalise?
gandalfluvver
Rep:
?
Oh that is fantastic subcutaneous. Thanks so much!!! Applying as we speak :yep:
swiftuk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There were several people on my course who were doing OT as a second degree. However, it may be worth you seeking advice, as to whether it would be better to finish what you are doing, or go and get some work/voluntary experience in a related field and then apply. I don't know how they would view you dropping out of the languages degree and then applying straight away.

Provided you have not done an NHS-funded degree before, the funding is manageable, although you will want to save for your third year where you may not get the means tested part of the LEA loan (the only part you can claim if on an NHS-funded degree - although you may given the 5-year limit).

That said, the courses are competitive to get on to (mine was 6-8 applicants per place when I applied).

http://www.cot.org.uk/public/otasaca...ntro/intro.php should give you some useful links (such as http://www.cot.org.uk/public/otasaca...book/intro.php ).

Work experience is a must...and definitely see what transferable skills you can glean from anything else you may have been involved in. It is worth taking time over the application, and being sure about why you want to become an OT.

Also, you need to check you meet the entrance criteria, as different unis have different criteria...and it may be worth you considering the placement side too (e.g. if you went to Coventry, you are likely to get either rural placements, or those in Birmingham...which may be different if you went to a London uni).

Go to some open days and get as much info as you can before applying!
gandalfluvver
Rep:
?
Thank you, v. useful info
When I said I'm applying as we speak, i meant for a vitalise volunteering residential; i'm not dropping out of my current degree course, might not be usefl for what i want to do, but i do like it...getting good grades and surely its better to have a degree than none at all. Besides, so much work has gone into it! I just want to start thinking about my career now and gaining experience, checking what it's really like now...while i still have at least 2 yrs.
Are there any tips you'd give me for looking for work experience...is it best to have a really broad spectrum of stuff?
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thank you, v. useful info
When I said I'm applying as we speak, i meant for a vitalise volunteering residential; i'm not dropping out of my current degree course, might not be usefl for what i want to do, but i do like it...getting good grades and surely its better to have a degree than none at all. Besides, so much work has gone into it! I just want to start thinking about my career now and gaining experience, checking what it's really like now...while i still have at least 2 yrs.
Are there any tips you'd give me for looking for work experience...is it best to have a really broad spectrum of stuff?

vitalise, and maybe write nice letters to your occupational therepy departments near you?!

and maybe some work in care homes etc, or learning disability schools..but vitalise would be PERFECT
swiftuk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It is good to have a range, but it is also what you make of it.

Vitalise is certainly an opportunity, but it depends what you are getting to do, and how you describe it afterwards ("'Those people' were so inspirational may be as well received as 'I want to help people')

Getting to see OTs in action.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (355)
37.57%
No - but I will (74)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise