Utd fan stabbed in Rome Watch

Nick_000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...s-stabbed.html

I think we all knew trouble was going to happen. Haven't found anything else on this story though.
Grapevine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why they had to have the final in Rome I do not know.
Joel-M
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm just thanking god it is'nt two english teams in the final. with italian police and the "ultras" They will be knee deep in bodies.
BillV3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Geez and here was me thinking Rome had gone soft
Luca118
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some people really know how to ruin football, and It was probably an Italian Ultra jealous cause the standard of Italian football is so poor they were never going to get anywhere near the final.
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If this is right, it's hardly unpredictable. Even Uefa were worried about this, though apparently not worried enough to not stage the final in rome, a city home to two of the most violent groups of ultras in italian football. Personally if it had to be in Italy, the san siro would be a better venue IMO.
Age_of_Innocence
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Won't be the last I fear, hopefully the final will pass off fairly peacefully though
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
UEFA are ****ing morons.

That is all.
Nick_000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by lodzinski)
If this is right, it's hardly unpredictable. Even Uefa were worried about this, though apparently not worried enough to not stage the final in rome, a city home to two of the most violent groups of ultras in italian football. Personally if it had to be in Italy, the san siro would be a better venue IMO.
It appears it is.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...hampionsleague
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 20
Report 9 years ago
It is, Sky News have also reported it.

I haven't read/heard any more about the article, but let's face it, the stabbing probably wasn't by a Barca fan. :rolleyes:
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
aye. I just checked it out on F365 and sky and everywhere's running it, though i'm glad to see it was a relatively minor, non-fatal injury. Have to wonder what will happen as we get closer to kick off though. I would say we need to have faith in the Italian police to prevent/stop any trouble, but most people who do that come home with a box of 'skull flakes' baton based cereal.
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It will get more publicity because of Rome's reputation, but the general feeling from most journalists is that there's a lot of good spirits in Rome and its peaceful.

Still never a nice thing.
aimz08
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm being really dumb here but I don't know much about football...Why is Rome not a good place for the final? I mean what the history behind it?
Aramiss18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Luca118)
Some people really know how to ruin football, and It was probably an Italian Ultra jealous cause the standard of Italian football is so poor they were never going to get anywhere near the final.
Pretty much this.
shark67
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The final should have been in Benfica.
pgreg1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
UEFA don't care about anything English when it comes to football anyway.
pinkspiders
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's ridiculous. If that'd happened here we'dve been banned the next tournament.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aimz08)
I'm being really dumb here but I don't know much about football...Why is Rome not a good place for the final? I mean what the history behind it?
Italy has a strong history of 'ultras' or hardcore, violent hooligans. While this has dropped off a fair bit, the two roman clubs, Lazio and Roma have two of the most violent ultra groups of the big Serie A teams. This is combined with a generally high level of knife crime in Roma as it is, and some antipathy by the sort of people carrying knives to rich foreigners coming over to support their far more successful football team. The Police don't help, as they are often heavy handed and violent.

to be blunt, the track record says if an english club play in rome, someone will be stabbed, beaten by the coppers, or both.
hamzramz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nick_000)
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...s-stabbed.html

I think we all knew trouble was going to happen. Haven't found anything else on this story though.
Doesn't say who stabbed him though, was it a Barcelona fan, or a hater because Manchester United won...
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 20
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aimz08)
Putting it briefly/basically, Rome is associated with football hooliganism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads