Turn on thread page Beta

are these subjects ok for A level?or AS.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, biology, sociology, english lang and lit...

the problem is this, i dont know what subjects to take,so im picking subjects that i think i would enjoy...is this ok? or should i pick something else?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)

the problem is this, i dont know what subjects to take,so im picking subjects that i think i would enjoy...is this ok? or should i pick something else?!
    depends on wot u wanna do at uni. - if u wanna keep your options open the sciences and maths are probz ure best bet. English is always credible but sociology and physchology are viewed sumwot as "mickey mouse subjects" - so u may wanna avoid them unless u are plannin 2 study them further at degree level. if u dropped one of them 4 say maths youd be a very good all round student and would have very good options come university decision time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armatillian)
    depends on wot u wanna do at uni. - if u wanna keep your options open the sciences and maths are probz ure best bet. English is always credible but sociology and physchology are viewed sumwot as "mickey mouse subjects" - so u may wanna avoid them unless u are plannin 2 study them further at degree level. if u dropped one of them 4 say maths youd be a very good all round student and would have very good options come university decision time.
    well id like to do law...im not sure about what subjects to take...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    well id like to do law...im not sure about what subjects to take...
    For law it doesn't matter what subjects you take. However they dont want you to have an A level in law. For one of the better unis they will not want students who have done A-levels that encompass a large amount of practical (e.g PE, Art, Music, etc.) For law typical offer from uni is AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    For law it doesn't matter what subjects you take. However they dont want you to have an A level in law. For one of the better unis they will not want students who have done A-levels that encompass a large amount of practical (e.g PE, Art, Music, etc.) For law typical offer from uni is AAB.
    i agree they dont want law. However my friends who wished to do law at uni were advised that english, history and maths were the ideal subjects that universities were looking for.

ReputationRep:
    just pick what ever subjects you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)

Well its best you do things you enjoy.
    Psychology and sociology cover quite a few of the same topics, so if you want a broader range of subjects choose something else.
    Universities also like computer subjects (IT, ICT, Computing etc.), so that could be an option.

ReputationRep:
    i agree they dont want law. However my friends who wished to do law at uni were advised that english, history and maths were the ideal subjects that universities were looking for.
    maths? i can understand why you would need english, but maths? and plus,i cant take maths, i hateeeee the subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    maths? i can understand why you would need english, but maths? and plus,i cant take maths, i hateeeee the subject!
    Maths is good, but only if you are good at maths. It is the hardest A-Level, and the biggest step up from GCSE, so if you haven't already given maths serious consideration, then don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    its not a pre-requisite - just shows you can perform various skills i spose. but history and english shuld deffo be high on ure list.
    As 4 ppl who say do wot u enjoy - i tend 2 disagree - i no quite a few ppl plannin 2 do a third year as they now dont have the subjects required 2 pursue a gud degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Maths is good, but only if you are good at maths. It is the hardest A-Level, and the biggest step up from GCSE, so if you haven't already given maths serious consideration, then don't.
    hmm true,i tryhard in maths but honestly dont have any interest in it whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    its not a pre-requisite - just shows you can perform various skills i spose. but history and english shuld deffo be high on ure list.
    As 4 ppl who say do wot u enjoy - i tend 2 disagree - i no quite a few ppl plannin 2 do a third year as they now dont have the subjects required 2 pursue a gud degree.
    what i dont understand is that why is it that to do law, they dont tell you what subjects to do at A level? you can just pick whatever...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    hmm true,i tryhard in maths but honestly dont have any interest in it whatsoever.
    Yeah. Maths is boring.
    I take it, but only because i seem to be good at it.

ReputationRep:
    well what do u want to do in life. what do u plan to be when u finish your education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    well what do u want to do in life. what do u plan to be when u finish your education.
    id most probably want to be a barrister. Mainly because i think id enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    what i dont understand is that why is it that to do law, they dont tell you what subjects to do at A level? you can just pick whatever...
    most guides say english cos it shows your literate and can argue points etc........history cos it gives u analytical skills etc.....and maths cos o problem solvin and taxation laws apparently. thats the advice ppl i no were given.

but yeah it is true that u will be considered with any 3 A levels - just havin a cuple o those above may b the differance in the ultra competitive rush 4 law places.

ReputationRep:
    most guides say english cos it shows your literate and can argue points etc........history cos it gives u analytical skills etc.....and maths cos o problem solvin and taxation laws apparently. thats the advice ppl i no were given.

but yeah it is true that u will be considered with any 3 A levels - just havin a cuple o those above may b the differance in the ultra competitive rush 4 law places.
    thanks for helping! still confused but im kinda getting there...

ReputationRep:
    Unless you really enjoy maths don't do it. I made that mistake and did maths because it looks good to have and because o sort of needed it for my degree, but not essential.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you, I would do:

English or History (preferably both)

A Science subject (maths, Bio, Chem, Physics)

A subject you enjoy. From what you write, it seems Psych or Socio - don't believe what some people say, in that they are 'mickey mouse' subjects ... they truely arent. Psychology often has a criminal psychology component in it, which may be useful to talk about in an interview.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also interested in law, and am arty rather than sciency so I have chosen:

English Lit
    History
    French
    Politics/Economics (will drop this one after AS)

The top three which I will continue to A2 are all academic and respected. My career advisor people have said these will be fine for law.

The main advice was don't do a subject like Maths if you don't enjoy it. It is very well respected, but if you don't think you're going to get around a B or higher, there isn't much point.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.