Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have heard so many reports that it is impossible for Neville to be the one the prophecy refers to, but I don’t think it is entirely improbable. The reasons why it has been assumed that he could not be the one is that people believe a) harrys scar is how lord Voldemort marked him as his equal – giving him te power to defeat him. And 2) Neville is too much of an inferior wizard to pose a threat to Voldemort.

I have some theories that can discount such popular assumptions. I believe that Harry’s scar is a pretty convincing ‘mark’ and am aware that it does give him powers related to Voldemort that nobody else has. I also believe that ‘mark’ could be a figurative term for Neville’s brewing hatred for what happened to his parents as a result of Voldemorts actions in enlisting his death eaters. I think it is possible that his hatred (which is geater than Harry’s as he doesn’t have Harrys support system – Ron and Hermione, and because he has seen what has happened to his parents as an indirect result of Voldemorts actions), will be strong enough to administer the Aveda Kaverda curse that Harry could not do. This could be what finid=shes Voldemortort off.

Also, I believe that the word ‘mark’ in the prophecy could refer to the dark mark. Dose Neville associate the symbol with his anger about what has happened to his parents, is this how he has been marked?

I als o think it is possible that Voldemort marking the other subject of the prophecy as his equal mat be an event that has not yet occurred, after all the prophecy gave no dates. Will Neville be marked in some way in the future to bring on the events Trellawney predicted? Could it even be that Voldemort gives him the sign of the dark mark on his arm like the Death Eaters a s a way of tormenting him, and in doing so transfer over to him some sort of power? It’s improbable but not impossible. If we are going to go really far-fetched, when was Malfroys birthday? Could his parents have lied to Voldemort 3 times (defying him)and got away with it due to skill in occlumency? Could he give Malfroy the mark to make him a death eater only to find that the efferct of such an act is his downfall? Very far fetched I know, but wouldn’t it be an interesting turn of events?

Back to more probable theories now. While I have read countless comments stating that Neville is too much of an inferior wizard to defeat Voldemort, I think this is not the case. There were countless references in book 5 to his shockingly improved abilities. Also, he broke his wand in the department of mysteries, and was upset because his nan would be angry at him as it was his Dads wand. If we remember book 1 Harry was told that no wand would work as well for another wizard than it would for the wizard it was intended for. I believe that once Neville gets a new wasd, one destined for him, from Mr Olivander, his abilities will become impressive. I also feel that his lack of skill in subjects that require a wand can be put down to his lack of self-confidence s a result of his poor performance in other subjects caused by his use of a wand that is not suited to him. I feel that as his parents were meant to be very good wizards this would make sense. Harry remarked how he had his mums face when Moody showed him the photo of the old Oder, to me this indicates that in the way Harry seems to have similarities to his dad, Neville is similar to his mum and thus his Dads wand would definfitley not be suited to him.

Am not sure if I am close to or completely off the mark, but thought it was an interesting theory.

ReputationRep:
    Gary Neville is one of the best defenders in the world, but i dont think any prophecies refer to him...

ReputationRep:
    we have been disscussing this in Harry Potter and the Utilmete Disscussion. why create a topic to it when you could just give your veiws there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    we have been disscussing this in Harry Potter and the Utilmete Disscussion. why create a topic to it when you could just give your veiws there.
    Whats gary neville got to do with harry potter?

ReputationRep:
    the topic is refering to the Harry Potter nelieve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    the topic is refering to the Harry Potter nelieve
    nelieve?

Oh, neville.
    Yeah, i knew that, but i dont know anything much about potter, so i talked about what i knew.

ReputationRep:
    i kind of figured. i'm just letting Rosiepips know that she didn't need to create a topic on this subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i kind of figured. i'm just letting Rosiepips know that she didn't need to create a topic on this subject.
    What about creating a topic on gary neville?

ReputationRep:
    or just changing this topic to it. by the way.

whos gary nelieve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    or just changing this topic to it. by the way.

whos gary nelieve
    nelieve?

Gary Neville is the manchester united and england right back.

ReputationRep:
    oh right. i don't support Man U.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    oh right. i don't support Man U.
    Or england???

ReputationRep:
    i don't follow football in gerneral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i don't follow football in gerneral.
    Oh, okay.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.