Circles C2 Watch

Darkest Knight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey -

Could someone please help me with part c of the below question.. really not sure where to start with it, even after seeing the mark scheme!

Thanks
paulapie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can you post it any other way that pic isn't appearing for me?
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you could draw a diagram of the circle with a tangent and the centre of the circle marked on, you'd get a right-angled triangle with the centre (I'll call it C) to B being at right angles to AB.

So you could work out the length of AC (you know their coordinates) and as you know the length of the radius BC, you can use pythagoras to find AB.

Does that kind-of match the mark scheme? I've tried to attach a diagram but I don't know if it worked!
Darkest Knight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by fishpie57)
If you could draw a diagram of the circle with a tangent and the centre of the circle marked on, you'd get a right-angled triangle with the centre (I'll call it C) to B being at right angles to AB.

So you could work out the length of AC (you know their coordinates) and as you know the length of the radius BC, you can use pythagoras to find AB.

Does that kind-of match the mark scheme? I've tried to attach a diagram but I don't know if it worked!
Sorry, how do you know you would get a right angled triangle?
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Darkest Knight)
A tangent meets the circle at 90degrees.

Plus tangents are perpendicular to the normal and so that also tells you 90degrees.
130ss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
isn't this C4?? you have to implicitly differentate 1st then stick coodindates in
NCIShippo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey -

Could someone please help me with part c of the below question.. really not sure where to start with it, even after seeing the mark scheme!

Thanks
Well, youv'e been given x and y, so sub that in to find k. You've done, that, so part c is with normals and tangents!
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
GCSE Circle Theorems - a tangent meets a radius at 90 degrees. BC is a radius. AB is a tangent. So it's therefore 90 degrees. Thus you can use pythagoras! :woo: :woo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (24)
48.98%
No - but I will (1)
2.04%
No - I don't want to (1)
2.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (23)
46.94%

Watched Threads