antihistamine and alcohol Watch

This discussion is closed.
mmmfood
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
why does it say on my benadryl pack 'as with all antihistimines, you should avoid excessive alcohol consumption when taking this medicine'
what happens if i drink wen taking it?
will i just get drunk more quickly?
xxxxxx
md_red_uk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it thins the blood therefore it takes less alcohol to have an affect on you.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
alcohol changes how medications interact with the body. the alcohol mixed with the anti-h can have lots of side effects with relatively unknown mechanisms of actions. also, many antihistamines cause drowsiness, so when combined with the sedating effects of alcohol, feelings of drowsiness are magnified.
mmmfood
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hm ok
i think i can deal with that...
thanx guys!
xxxx
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I take antihistamines at night time, so I don't be allergic in my sleep, but I don't take them if I'm drunk, not only because I forget, but because it makes getting up in the morning even harder because of the sedative effect they both have.
Ali_04
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
don't do it! i took some antihistamines one new year and then went out and got drunk- its the most drunk ive ever been in my leife and i wos sick for the whole day after-its the worst hangover ive ever had too! so yeh..duno why that happens but its not worth the risk.

edit: oops *life
stu673
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
its awesome! much cheaper night out. used to do it all the time during my first year at uni & know lots of other done the same.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by md_red_uk)
I think it thins the blood therefore it takes less alcohol to have an affect on you.
no, antihistamines don't thin the blood. Warfarin is the famous blood 'thinner' (a layman term used for anti-coagulants) which can't be used with alcohol.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by covered farm wagon)
I take antihistamines at night time, so I don't be allergic in my sleep, but I don't take them if I'm drunk, not only because I forget, but because it makes getting up in the morning even harder because of the sedative effect they both have.
yeah i went through a phase of doing that too.

I'd bet thats why you can't mix alcohol with anti-histamines. just will amplify the drowsiness.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, tis bad for you!

Obviously, I never mix the two
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (879)
79.98%
Leave (220)
20.02%

Watched Threads