The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

bmwm6
Hi!!
I have been allocated a room in D Block in Leodis Residences :biggrin:
I had called them and they told me that a room has been allocated and that i should check accomm page, I just did and it says Block D and also the room number!!!!
I wonder howz Block D??
Everybody else has been alloted either block E or F...

mine says "not yet allocated" argh!! :mad:
why why why? why don't they tell me???????
oh i just sent u a PM. .then i saw this msg.

maybe cos they are trying to find a room for me to move in on the 15th so i don't have to stay at a temp accom hahahaha
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Hey bmwm6, I will be leaving on the 8th of September..... I couldn't get tickets for any other day!!!! Every flight from Bombay seems to be booked to full capacity. For Leeds, British Midlands is a good bet... it offers free luggage space to students (20 kgs extra, so that makes it 50 kgs).... and its far more economical than British Airways.... it flies to Heathrow and from Heathrow it goes to Manchester..... and in Manchester, the University should have its meet and greet service... otherwise, travelling from Manchester to Leeds by train is always an option.... i'll be travelling by British Midlands.... but Emirates has some good offers too...... you may want to check that out.....

Lol... shopping is one of the many things i'm looking forward to.... its not that bad.... really..... what will be tough though is packing everything and sticking to the 50 kilo norm...... i know what you mean, fatfingers..... I agree, absolutely.....

Have you looked at the welcome programme for international students....? Its online..... And there are some interesting events lined up.....
Reply 22
fatfingers

maybe cos they are trying to find a room for me to move in on the 15th so i don't have to stay at a temp accom hahahaha

The letter with the contract said that once they receive signed contract and deposit, they would email the room details to us.
But, i havent received any email and the room has been allocated in the website...
I guess you could speak to accomm office and get it confirmed..
I called up twice and confirmed that they have received cont+dep.
Reply 23
Wow! Rinz,You're going real early, i wish i could too, but my visa is valid fom 15th Sept :frown:
After reading ur post, I'm really scared abt availability of seats!!! :eek:
When ur course startin? U been to UK before?
I gotta start lookin around for tickets and book it quickly...
God, i had totally forgotten that i have pack all the things that i'm not too keen to shop :frown:
I wish i could just land in the UK with all the stuff already arranged in my room :biggrin:
Reply 24
Hey bmwm6..... don't worry... just go to a travel agent, and tell him that you don't have a choice in the matter and have to leave on the 16th..... and it should be all right..... my couse starts on the 21st...... so yes, I'm going to be terribly early...... i'll probably be the first person in leodis!!! No..... I haven't been to the UK before...... my first visit.... how about you? when does your course start? Heheh.... I know..... first the packing..... then the unpacking..... then having to arrange everything....... sheer torture..... yupp.... i wouldn't mind if things got magically organized......
Reply 25
im 18 from Batley with is about 8 miles away from leeds i am studying nursing and i have got in at clarence dock im in block B if any one else is get intouch i chose leeds as its my fav place in the world and ive been many places. hope to see u all in sept (u cant miss me ive got curly ginger hair highlighted blonde) see u all soon.x.
Reply 26
Rinz
Hey bmwm6..... don't worry... just go to a travel agent, and tell him that you don't have a choice in the matter and have to leave on the 16th..... and it should be all right..... my couse starts on the 21st...... so yes, I'm going to be terribly early...... i'll probably be the first person in leodis!!! No..... I haven't been to the UK before...... my first visit.... how about you? when does your course start? Heheh.... I know..... first the packing..... then the unpacking..... then having to arrange everything....... sheer torture..... yupp.... i wouldn't mind if things got magically organized......

Hi Rinz! I just spoke to travel agent today and told him abt my predicament...he said he will give me list of options tmrw....
Now, i'm worried if i'm going soon enough..even my course starts on 21st.
have you been alloted room in Leodis? I've been allocated a room in Block-D.
I've Never been to Uk before...
Apart from all the shopping/packing, I gotta learn cooking as well :eek:
You cook? I can just abt manage to prepare tea/coffee... :redface:
Also, didya get any sort of travel or health insurance?
Reply 27
fatfingers

Hi! any developments on the room allocation? A couple of guys from India have opted for Montague Burton...They said its got a really pretty garden where you can sit and relax on the benches(within the compound). Also, it seems its got awesome social activities goin on...Enjoy!!! :smile:
Reply 28
Hey bmwm6..... the 17th isn't terribly late, i think..... and if your visa isn't valid any earlier, there isn't an alternative...... either way, you have a few days to yourself in leeds before your course starts, so it should be just fine......
I don't know if I have been allocated my room.... i couriered my accommodation papers a few days back and i think they should receive it by tomorrow at the very latest..... i guess i'll be informed in a couple of days? I'm not sure about the way this works actually...... i suppose they'll mail me and let me know......? Or will I necessarily have to call them up?
Lol.... as for cooking...... I began learning a few days ago.... i just about managed to make bread-and-butter before that..... now i'm trying to improve my dismal culinary skills so that i can survive..... :rolleyes: its not much fun, if you ask me...... but oh well.......
I haven't secured health insurance yet.... but i think ICICI Lombard has some excellent schemes..... will probably be talking to them..... have you got health/ travel insurance?
btw.... i presume your name isn't bmwm6.... it would be? :smile:
Keep in touch.....
Why are the only international students posting on this forum postgrades? I really wonder where are the international undergrade students... I'm scared of being the only foreigner and also it seems like I'm the only one who applied to Devonshire :frown:
Reply 30
Rinz
Hey bmwm6..... the 17th isn't terribly late, i think..... and if your visa isn't valid any earlier, there isn't an alternative...... either way, you have a few days to yourself in leeds before your course starts, so it should be just fine......
I don't know if I have been allocated my room.... i couriered my accommodation papers a few days back and i think they should receive it by tomorrow at the very latest..... i guess i'll be informed in a couple of days? I'm not sure about the way this works actually...... i suppose they'll mail me and let me know......? Or will I necessarily have to call them up?
Lol.... as for cooking...... I began learning a few days ago.... i just about managed to make bread-and-butter before that..... now i'm trying to improve my dismal culinary skills so that i can survive..... :rolleyes: its not much fun, if you ask me...... but oh well.......
I haven't secured health insurance yet.... but i think ICICI Lombard has some excellent schemes..... will probably be talking to them..... have you got health/ travel insurance?
btw.... i presume your name isn't bmwm6.... it would be? :smile:
Keep in touch.....

I hope to reach Leeds by 16th...am pestering my agent to find a seat...
I think it works this way, once they receive ur signed contract + deposit, they file them and then allot you a room...(thats what i was told when i called up accomm)...I guess you could start checking the accomm website every 2 hours. When i called them, they said that they have received both and asked me to check website(for room number)...I received an email only acknowledging the receipt of the scanned contract, no email with room details...I guess you could call them , they're really sweet and will confirm the status of room allocation (though its not compulsory...)
Yeah , both ICICI and Tata AIG have got good schemes, will speak to my agent...
I've sent you a PM...
bmwm6
Hi! any developments on the room allocation? A couple of guys from India have opted for Montague Burton...They said its got a really pretty garden where you can sit and relax on the benches(within the compound). Also, it seems its got awesome social activities goin on...Enjoy!!! :smile:

still no news yet!
but they have received it. I did ask them to let me move into my room earlier because i don't want to stay in a temp accom and then move into my room again. Not sure if it's this that is causing the delay...
and thank you for the info! I am loving Montague already! hehe.
French Pikachu
Why are the only international students posting on this forum postgrades? I really wonder where are the international undergrade students... I'm scared of being the only foreigner and also it seems like I'm the only one who applied to Devonshire :frown:

Hello there!
I'm sure there will be lots of international undergrads.. so don't worry too much. :smile:
Reply 33
French Pikachu

Hi!!
Postgrads are allowed to apply only for self-catered accomm, thats why you are not finding anybody who's applied for devonshire (catered)...
Why dont you start a new thread for undergrads? I'm sure there are quite a few undergrads around..
Have fun!! :smile:
bmwm6! I finally have news from the accom office!
Blk L!
I can't wait to be there! I'm leaving for the UK in 11 days time! I better start packing!
Reply 35
I have been allocated Leodis, Block D!!! :smile: Anyone else in Block D?
Reply 36
fatfingers
bmwm6! I finally have news from the accom office!
Blk L!
I can't wait to be there! I'm leaving for the UK in 11 days time! I better start packing!

Great News!!!! :smile:
All the best with the packing...I guess you've finished shopping...
You're goin to the UK pretty early...whens your course startin?
starting on the 21st of sept just like everyone else .. but i'm going early to visit The Boyfriend and his family first. Very nervous! and excited at the same time :-D
Reply 38
Hey all. I am also an international postgrad. I am 25 years old and live in the United States. I will be getting my MA in Medieval Studies. I chose Leeds because my advisor suggested I look into it and I really liked everything I read about it. i will be staying in Montague Burton hall. Are any of you international students planning on going to any of the international student events we got info about in the mail?
Reply 39
i've been placed in james baillie park, block a.

i'm definitely going to go to some of the events, but i don't know exactly what yet.

when do you plan to arrive in leeds? i'll be getting there on sept. 14th...

Latest