LPC worries... Watch

d5e8t4d4w8r
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey,

i am having worries about the cost of the LPC, especially as i may not even secure a TC! Does anyone have any advice from past experience?

Also, what is a suitable amount to borrow for maintenance during the course? And is it possible to work p/t whilst studying??

Thanks in advance
emmings
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Working part time is definitely possible. I have worked 15 hours a week, give or take, throughout the year. During Terms 1-2 this was in a legal role, office hours, which made my life a little hectic as I had to rush off from lectures to get to work for the afternoon, but paid very well. When that role ended I went back to waitressing which is evenings/weekends so I have a bit more free time during the day. You have to be organised with your time though. I am naturally a disciplined person, but even for me it wasn't much fun when my friends went off for coffees and long lunches between lectures while i headed to the study room to do prep. Having said that, the LPC really isn't that hard and it's not like I had to devote all my evenings to prep - one evening a week plus using the time in between lectures was enough for me.

I don't know about maintenance as I'm lucky enough to live at home. My advice would be to do it outside of London where living costs will be much cheaper. I have friends who have borrowed ~£10k for maintenance.
Redeyejedi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do many people actually do the LPC without a training contract??!
emmings
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Redeyejedi)
Yes, of course. At OXILP where I am, I'd say at least 60% didn't have TCs at the start of the year. I can't say I actually know anyone who has secured one during the year either. I believe the figures at most providers are around 50%
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Redeyejedi)
Firms which aren't at least medium-size commercial firms tend recruit less than a year in advance, which effectively means you have to start the LPC without a TC if you want to go to that type of firm.

If you're aiming for a big commercial firm which recruits two years in advance, I would question the wisdom of starting the LPC without a TC. But a surprising number of people do.
Redeyejedi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Firms which aren't at least medium-size commercial firms tend recruit less than a year in advance, which effectively means you have to start the LPC without a TC if you want to go to that type of firm.

If you're aiming for a big commercial firm which recruits two years in advance, I would question the wisdom of starting the LPC without a TC. But a surprising number of people do.
Ah ok. Makes a great deal of sense. Thanks for the responses. Just have to absolutely nail the vacation schemes and get a training contract first time round then! *Gets down on knees and prays*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.44%
No - but I will (66)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (400)
47.39%

Watched Threads