Hamster Teeth Watch

potentialcollegedropout
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I had a look at my hamsters teeth yesterday (he is nearly 1) and the bottom ones seemed really long, near the top they are curving in towards the back of his mouth and I'd say they are about 1.5cm in length.

Do they need trimming? And if so and I took him to the vets, any idea how much it'd be?
Jenna_K
Report 9 years ago
Have you got your hammy a knawing block, or does it tend to bite the wires of your cage? if so thats normally a sign that hes calling for something/attention seeking. get him some wood!
Chiko 1001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If the little guy doesn't have plenty to knaw on all the time he'll tell you by biting his cage. Head to a pet shop and get a knawing block and some wooden stuff, give him a week and see what his teeth look like then.
FatAsMatt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Awww. ^^
potentialcollegedropout
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
He has like a banana shaped mineral stone but he doesnt chew it. He only chews the bars occassionaly but when he gets up he always seems to grind his teeth and they chatter
Jenna_K
Report 9 years ago
maybe he doesnt like the taste of the banana. just get him a block that doesnt have flavor.
Chiko 1001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Chattering means he's angry. He needs more stuff to do/a bigger cage.
ghostbusterbunny
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If they're as long and curving as you say they are, take the little guy to the vet. Soon. Teeth that long can either grow into the hamsters brain, or curl back and into his mouth. He wont be able to eat or drink properly and it could eventually kill him.

If they are that long, a gnawing block wont help him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (164)
39.05%
No - but I will (22)
5.24%
No - I don't want to (31)
7.38%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (203)
48.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed