How are you NOT supposed to know if you're pretty? Watch

NinaJenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Firstly, this is in no way relating to personal experience! It was inspired by the 'Are guys intimidated by stunning girls?' thread.

A lot of guys are saying that they don't go for the girls who know they're good looking as they 'act like it', however, if a girl's pretty and gets told it often, they're obviously going to know it. So, if they know it and show it, that's not attractive, but if they know it and hide it, surely that's false modesty and equally unattractive?

I just think that, sometimes, pretty girls have a hard time as they're not supposed to act like they know it, despite having people (and mostly guys, who seem to be the ones that get most annoyed by it) telling them that they're good looking all the time. It must be pretty hard to know how to act, where you're damned if you do acknowledge it and damned if you don't, as people hate false modesty.
Hogo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Theres nothing wrong with knowing you look good.

Just don't have arrogance. Simple.
Sh4w
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NinaJenson)
Firstly, this is in no way relating to personal experience! It was inspired by the 'Are guys intimidated by stunning girls?' thread.

A lot of guys are saying that they don't go for the girls who know they're good looking as they 'act like it', however, if a girl's pretty and gets told it often, they're obviously going to know it. So, if they know it and show it, that's not attractive, but if they know it and hide it, surely that's false modesty and equally unattractive?

I just think that, sometimes, pretty girls have a hard time as they're not supposed to act like they know it, despite having people (and mostly guys, who seem to be the ones that get most annoyed by it) telling them that they're good looking all the time. It must be pretty hard to know how to act, where you're damned if you do acknowledge it and damned if you don't, as people hate false modesty.
I think there are some girls who are attractive but not particularly self-confident, and don't truly believe that they are pretty no matter how much they're told it.
carlosb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They don't have to hide it, they can act normally. It's just annoying when they revolve around it like their appearance is the best they have to give. That just makes them seem so stuck up.. dunno. Hard to explain.
paulapie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think it's girls who realise they're attractive that's the problem. It's those girls who think they're better than others because they're pretty. They're the ones who usually "act like they know it".
menagerie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's more to do with people who think that being pretty makes them worth more than someone who isn't.
Bleurgh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by paulapie)
I don't think it's girls who realise they're attractive that's the problem. It's those girls who think they're better than others because they're pretty. They're the ones who usually "act like they know it".
What she said.
-XxX-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
knowing your pretty and being arrogant about it are two diffeent things
Sometimes people know theyre pretty but theres still a way to be modest about it. If a guy says "you look good today" if the girl says "i know" or "i always do" thats just arrogance. stick to thankyou lol
Nambi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's about acting like it

It don't matter if you're pretty, whether you know it or not

Looks aren't everything.
Bluebell29
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just my opinion, I could be completely wrong... The way I see it is that there's lots of *****y, annoying people out there who think they're better than other people.. the people who bang on particularly about pretty girls who act like that are most probably intimidated by them, so on some level its a bit of jealousy. People seem to get alot more annoyed when its a pretty girl thats being a knob than an ugly person!
soffeee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just dont be vain or arrogant. confident is fine. i refuse to buy the whole "pretty girls have a hard time" line of argument. yeah right.
Tinkerbelle ♥
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It when they think others are beneath them because of it or act like they are amazing - when they're not, that's what is annoying about it!

There's always always going to be someone better looking so it's just irritating when they act like they are better then everyone else and everyone knows arrogance isn't attractive, although confidence i think is. It's knowing where to draw the line.
ChunkymunkyDJC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As long as they don't look down on others and laugh at them, I don't care. Also I hate the people who think they are better than other because they were BORN with good looks, and act like it was their hard work that made them good looking.
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by menagerie)
I think it's more to do with people who think that being pretty makes them worth more than someone who isn't.
I agree with this. I see no problem in a pretty girl knowing she's pretty and maximising her virtue. If you've been blessed with beauty, you should never be ashamed to hide it. But looking down on other people because they aren't pretty is horrible.

It's the same thing with intelligence, but somehow people always forget that. Double standards, much?
newname123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i actually prefer false modesty tbh
n0c0ntr0l
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't even need to post anymore, you guys covered it all. The arrogance, the my looks make me better than you, the whole I worked for my looks.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't look down on people who aren't pretty. I look down on people who make absolutely no effort whatsoever with their appearance. Never heard of make-up or tweezers, and always wear unflattering, big clothes. Them type of girls. :dontknow:
forsaken_earth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sh4w)
I think there are some girls who are attractive but not particularly self-confident, and don't truly believe that they are pretty no matter how much they're told it.
Pfft so what you'd rather have a good looking girl by your side who's insecure - which would make you happier because she's less likely to turn around and go for someone better?
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
I don't look down on people who aren't pretty. I look down on people who make absolutely no effort whatsoever with their appearance. Never heard of make-up or tweezers, and always wear unflattering, big clothes. Them type of girls. :dontknow:
The fact that you look down on anyone makes you a ****** person.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
The fact that you look down on anyone makes you a ****** person.
Probably. Afterall..."You're your own worse enemy". :wink2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads