The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bubbles*de*Milo
Really? Annoying but not surprising - I tend to overuse that word far too often. I can't help it; it's my favourite word. Be thankful you don't mark my essays. Btw, I tend to define jejune as more immature and bland, but I appreciate you google defining it.
On topic - I didn't describe you as jejune, I described your post - pointless, accusatory and lacking in purpose. Unlike you, I'm not stupid enough to define someone I've never met, on posts of theirs I've seen on the internet of all places.

You're merely defining my posts, but I'm defining you as a person? How convenient for your argument.
Jennybean
You're merely defining my posts, but I'm defining you as a person? How convenient for your argument.

Well there's a well thought out response folks. 10/10. You must have been awesome in the debating society.
Reply 62
put a photo up and we will tell ya luv
TK2 King Pin
not really

If you would care to expand upon your counter-argument?
Reply 64
As everyone else said, a girl who thinks they're better than someone because they got lucky in the gene pool is just a horrible person.

Nobody is too good for anyone regardless of physical appearance, but some people seem to think differently and that is what people mean when they say 'knows theyre pretty' as in 'im too hot for you' type.
Reply 65
NinaJenson
Firstly, this is in no way relating to personal experience! It was inspired by the 'Are guys intimidated by stunning girls?' thread.

A lot of guys are saying that they don't go for the girls who know they're good looking as they 'act like it', however, if a girl's pretty and gets told it often, they're obviously going to know it. So, if they know it and show it, that's not attractive, but if they know it and hide it, surely that's false modesty and equally unattractive?

I just think that, sometimes, pretty girls have a hard time as they're not supposed to act like they know it, despite having people (and mostly guys, who seem to be the ones that get most annoyed by it) telling them that they're good looking all the time. It must be pretty hard to know how to act, where you're damned if you do acknowledge it and damned if you don't, as people hate false modesty.

I'm actually saying girls that know they're good looking use that as the measurement when looking for a guy. Theres more to it than looks, as every ****** seems to say.
Bubbles*de*Milo
I don't look down on people who aren't pretty. I look down on people who make absolutely no effort whatsoever with their appearance. Never heard of make-up or tweezers, and always wear unflattering, big clothes. Them type of girls. :dontknow:

Contrary to what most people on here are saying, I agree with this view.
I believe not only do you look great when you've made an effort, but you also ellicit a more positive response from others, which, in turn, would boost confidence and self-esteem.
I simply can't understand why people choose not to use products which would enhance their appearance to their advantage :confused:
Lady_KaKa
If you would care to expand upon your counter-argument?

why yes, yes i would care to expand upon my counter argument actually
if you're arrogant, you tend to think of yourself as something better than you actually are

if you are confident, you tend to know what is good about you and are not afraid to admit it

the difference is, arrogance is thinking, and confidence is knowing
additionally, arrogance is an attidude and confidence is a feeling
TK2 King Pin
if you're arrogant, you tend to think of yourself as something better than you actually are

if you are confident, you tend to know what is good about you and are not afraid to admit it

Well I can't argue with that.
Lady_KaKa

No you can't, can you :p:
Lady_KaKa

well at least you aren't trying to
Reply 71
NinaJenson
Firstly, this is in no way relating to personal experience! It was inspired by the 'Are guys intimidated by stunning girls?' thread.

A lot of guys are saying that they don't go for the girls who know they're good looking as they 'act like it', however, if a girl's pretty and gets told it often, they're obviously going to know it. So, if they know it and show it, that's not attractive, but if they know it and hide it, surely that's false modesty and equally unattractive?

I just think that, sometimes, pretty girls have a hard time as they're not supposed to act like they know it, despite having people (and mostly guys, who seem to be the ones that get most annoyed by it) telling them that they're good looking all the time. It must be pretty hard to know how to act, where you're damned if you do acknowledge it and damned if you don't, as people hate false modesty.

'knowing it' is more of a phrase used to describe arrogance, or using one's looks for personal gain/to put others down. It's ok to know you are pretty, so long as you aren't really vain, and don't act like a bitch.
Reply 72
I think there are pretty girls who don't think they're particularly pretty but do get told they are pretty a lot. I think they assume they think every girl gets told it a lot by kind people.
TK2 King Pin
well at least you aren't trying to

Why would I try to if I agreed with what you were saying?
Lady_KaKa
Why would I try to if I agreed with what you were saying?

haha
that's what i was saying:smile:
TK2 King Pin
haha
that's what i was saying:smile:

Oh right, haha
Reply 76
TK2 King Pin

I mostly agree but personally I'd define it like this:

yes, confidence is knowing you look good, knowing you're hot, accepting it, being happy with what you look like and comfortable in your own skin

but arrogance is showing it. Walking around like your **** don't stink, making other's aware of how much better you are, assuming that they will and must agree

PygmyShrew
I think there are pretty girls who don't think they're particularly pretty but do get told they are pretty a lot. I think they assume they think every girl gets told it a lot by kind people.
I agree. I think they're usually the nicer ones.
Dijobla
I mostly agree but personally I'd define it like this:

yes, confidence is knowing you look good, knowing you're hot, accepting it, being happy with what you look like and comfortable in your own skin

but arrogance is showing it. Walking around like your **** don't stink, making other's aware of how much better you are, assuming that they will and must agree

That's true, but the additional point i was making is that most arrogant people don't have as much to show as they make out
Ilora-Danon
The fact that you look down on anyone makes you a ****** person.

Hmm, bit harsh, but yeah I can definitely see where you're coming from.

It would make her a wee bit snobby :p:

You on the other hand, are lovely :smile:
Tefhel
Because "knowing you're pretty" is arrogant. You can't 'know' that you're pretty. Beauty is subjective, you might be hideous to some, beautiful to others. If you "know you're pretty" that implies that you think you're pretty to absolutely everyone, that it's an undeniable fact - which it most certainly isn't. You can 'think' you are pretty, but 'knowing' you are pretty definitely implies arrogance, you assume that everyone finds you attractive.

THIS. +1.

Latest

Trending

Trending