Architecture students - would YOU work for free? Watch

Poll: Architecture students - would you work for a year for free before qualifying?
Yes - I would work for free without too many grumbles - I want to get through my architectural studies ASAP and one more year of debt doesn't really matter. It's about the experience. (1)
4.55%
Yes - if it was the only way to get work, but I would probably have to work reduced hours in the architectural practise in order to take another paid job to make ends meet. (6)
27.27%
Yes - but only for a good cause - such as Architectes San Frontieres, Architecture for Humanity or a community build project. I would not work for free to boost the profits of a private money-making practise. (8)
36.36%
No - it degrades the value of the profession and sells me short. RIBA should not let the industry proceed down this route as it will become entrenched. (0)
0%
No - I would rather travel and learn more about architecture first hand than work for nothing in front of a computer all day long. (3)
13.64%
No - I would rather work and be paid something in a vaguely related field than unpaid in an architect's office (graphic design, labouring, etc) (1)
4.55%
No - I would rather work where the most money is, regardless of the industry (1)
4.55%
No - I am so good I will find a paid job regardless of the economic crisis (1)
4.55%
Don't know / I can't think straight at the moment. (1)
4.55%
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/n...202333.article

In light of 50% of Britain's employers saying they will not be recruiting school or university leavers this summer, and given the sluggish UK construction industry, would you as a part qualified architect work for free in order to get your relevant PEDR experience?
Monte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Only for a good cause - never in a firm as a slave. Completely devalues the graduate and I would change profession if it was that dire. Working unpaid overtime is bad enough!!
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, I wouldn't.

I'm not going to be a cad monkey for the whole entire year for free.
Hispanic-Impressions
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Either - "Yes - but only for a good cause - such as Architectes San Frontieres, Architecture for Humanity or a community build project. I would not work for free to boost the profits of a private money-making practise." or "No - I would rather travel and learn more about architecture first hand than work for nothing in front of a computer all day long."

Undecided right now.
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I know i've been too prescriptive and putting words in your mouths for your answers. i just found the aj poll a bit to loose in the possible responses...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise