Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho_Gerbil)
    If that's true, then I might completely *&^* up the average. and so does my family. So in average racial heights, where does caucasian come into it then?
    You might - as would Yao Ming.

But I think its clear that the average Chinese guy is shorter than the average Black guy or white guy (I would imagine that the two are of similar heights).

Just As Somoans and Mauri are naturally larger than White people.

ReputationRep:
    Recent news story and test.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4447471.stm
    https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    Recent news story and test.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4447471.stm
    https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
    Yeah I tried that ...

Inconclusive ... or so it said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaiJ)
    Definately. I'm probably racist on a concious level too. But at the same time I'm influenced by my environment.
    I disagree. I sometimes find myself in a rascist environment yet that does not mean that I believe the same. Most of my family are rascist yet I am not in any way shape or form. Things like, 'they're from a different generation' and 'but all their family is rascist' is just a damned excuse.

ReputationRep:
    if you mean discriminatory... most definitely not.
    ditto with prejudice, however, i think we subconsciously recognise ourselves as being part of different races, and it probably crosses our minds when we make decisions...

ReputationRep:
    I think people will naturally be inclined to favour people of their own race. That makes perfect evolutionary sense, however that doesn't mean that everyone acts on those inclinations.

ReputationRep:
    yup, probably, it is only natural with our surroundings.

I read an interesting article the other day about race relations in south africa, with their recent developments. And even though it is a more harmonious place between the blacks and whites, there is still differences in attitudes.
    When asked, how they would feel if their son/daughter married someone from another race:
    59% of blacks would 'approve' if their son/daughter married into another race; whereas only 14% of whites would. 59% of whites would 'disapprove'

Probably even in our society, despite wide acceptance, a large number of people understand some kind of social structure. Many whites still feel they are better, and these feelings won't disappear overnight.

ReputationRep:
    People are just prejudice towards appearance full stop. Good looking people whether black, white, olive or yellow have an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho_Gerbil)
    I don't believe everyone is racist, I think that some people are, and it may have to do with their up-bringing and environment, but oinly slightly. I feel that when someone gets old enough to make up their own mind about their beliefs, then if they still have conscious racist thoughts, then it can't really blame anybody but themselves.
    What if people can't help how they feel though. Upbringing contributes a lot and if some aspect of an upbringing has caused people to feel this way then they might grow up to know their oppinion is wrong and try to deny they have the oppinion but inside they know that that's how they feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateington)
    I disagree. I sometimes find myself in a rascist environment yet that does not mean that I believe the same. Most of my family are rascist yet I am not in any way shape or form. Things like, 'they're from a different generation' and 'but all their family is rascist' is just a damned excuse.
    Well, whether or not your environment influences you completely is a different thing. But you will have atleast SOME influence from your famliy or close friends.

Zain

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was not..

ReputationRep:
    first thing i think that u mean everone is PREJUDICE, i.e pre judge certian racial groups... racism is actully acting on yout prejudices also LAWS you are complete and utter racist, in fact one of the best basket ballers in the NBA at the moment is from hong kong (thats in china if ur bigot mind can't see beyond the boraders of england).

ReputationRep:
    I am passively racist. I wouldn't dream of actively making someone's life difficult for their colour or creed and it wouldn't stop me from befriending them but I wouldn't, for example, want to have children with an Asian. I think that that's just because there's some instinct, that not all people have, to have children with someone who is similar to them. Obviously racism is bad for genetic diversity and if all people had this instinct we'd slowly develop into village idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadG)
    first thing i think that u mean everone is PREJUDICE, i.e pre judge certian racial groups... racism is actully acting on yout prejudices also LAWS you are complete and utter racist, in fact one of the best basket ballers in the NBA at the moment is from hong kong (thats in china if ur bigot mind can't see beyond the boraders of england).
    Any chance you want to explain this odd reply?

How am I being a racist? And the player you are referring to is Yao Ming. As I noted.

But again - HOW is what I said racist - explain.

And thanks for the Geography lesson - but for YOUR information Im not from the UK... Im from Trinidad - which is in the West Indies - if "ur" bigot mind is unaware of basic global location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadG)
    You might want to check your facts before accusing someone of being a racist. Yao Ming was born in Shanghai, which is in China. If Yao was born in Hong Kong, he'd probably be a dual British/Chinese citizen, which he doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    I feel racism is blown way out of proportion, I've never seen the problem...

Im definately racist and i'd probably be a racist employer in certain circumstances. If you had a chinese restaurant and had to decide between equally qualified candidates but one was black and one was chinese, who would you hire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizdesai)
    I feel racism is blown way out of proportion, I've never seen the problem...

Im definately racist and i'd probably be a racist employer in certain circumstances. If you had a chinese restaurant and had to decide between equally qualified candidates but one was black and one was chinese, who would you hire?
    Thats not really racist though. In Health and Social Care we learnt about this and there's some kinda term for it which I don't remember (aren't i gonna do well in my A levels!) but it's basically not frowned upon.

ReputationRep:
    i think people are only scared of what they dont know, a white kid brought up by a black family, racism would never cross their mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcharodon)
    i think people are only scared of what they dont know, a white kid brought up by a black family, racism would never cross their mind
    Racism to other races? Racism that exists within black communities to other races?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Racism to other races? Racism that exists within black communities to other races?
    Highly off topic: "Trindad's finest" is a title given to Brian Lara, I just noticed it under ur nick :p:

Is that you in the pic, btw?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.