We are all RACIST... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kondar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by vivado)
Kondar, the chewing gum ban has been partially lifted last year. The law has been relaxed to allow sales of therapeutic gum like Nicorette, a nicotine gum, in pharmacies. Singapore banned chewing gum in 1992 because we had a serious litter problem with unsightly gums stuck to pavements. This problem can be observed in many other countries too but no other country has taken any action to solve it in my knowledge.
Cool Cool, I figured it was something like that. Singapore sounds like a great place, Id love to make it over there sometime.

Thanks for the info.
80s Love Child!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ummmmmm...im just wondering really....why do you think singapore is a great place??? :rolleyes:
Praddles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by vivado)
You need not struggle in an unjust place if you don't want to. Come to Singapore; we're a multiracial, multicultural and multireligious society and we embrace people of all races. We do not have a history of slavery and colonialism. It is a country firmly built on the foundation of meritocracy where all the best talents all over the world congregate and work together to create a better tomorrow. We have politicians of different races (Chinese, Malay, Indian, Eurasian) and some have risen from poor backgrounds. In fact, our president is an ethnic Indian. As long as you have the ability and willingness to adapt and contribute, you will thrive here.
Funny you should say that, because it's one of my dreams to work in Singapore
80s Love Child!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Oh right....goood for you ....
spicu
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PrincE MarkuS)
'We are all RACIST at least at a sub-conscious level and we can't do anything about it!'

Any views at all, please?
no.

I sometimes feel intimidated by people of the same race as me as well as other races. So Im not having any prejudice against other guys/girls from other races because they look scary not because they are black, well built etc
WhatFreshHell?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it's a natural animal instinct to be frightened and defensive against something you don't consider "part of your group", but I don't think that equates to inherent racism.

Sorry to sound all preachy, but I honestly don't think I am racist - there are aspects of certain people, certain cultures etc that I don't like, but I don't think it's the race of the person that determines that. I might not like Saudi Arabian laws, or American ethics, but that doesn't mean I in any way dislike, or am prejudiced against, Saudis or Americans. That's not to say I don't recognise that they may be a product of their culture.

I hope people aren't prejudiced against me on the basis of my ethnicity (although, being a white, straight, non-disabled north-west-european blond-hair-blue-eyed tall male, that really hasn't been a problem for my demographic in the past!!)
awesome
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
im not racist
Sarah234
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by WhatFreshHell?)
I think it's a natural animal instinct to be frightened and defensive against something you don't consider "part of your group", but I don't think that equates to inherent racism.

Sorry to sound all preachy, but I honestly don't think I am racist - there are aspects of certain people, certain cultures etc that I don't like, but I don't think it's the race of the person that determines that. I might not like Saudi Arabian laws, or American ethics, but that doesn't mean I in any way dislike, or am prejudiced against, Saudis or Americans. That's not to say I don't recognise that they may be a product of their culture.

I hope people aren't prejudiced against me on the basis of my ethnicity (although, being a white, straight, non-disabled north-west-european blond-hair-blue-eyed tall male, that really hasn't been a problem for my demographic in the past!!)
I don't think feeling a certain way is racist because you can't help how you feel. It's prejudiced, not racist. Racist would be actively walking down the street, seeing an asian person, punching them in the face, screaming paki, etc...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads