Internet problems - download speed gone bouncy castle? Watch

Dynamitri
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello,

I have recently moved to a new flatshare. There is an internet connection available, wireless router and I'm using it. It works fine, although I've noticed quite an odd pattern - it seems that even though I am the only person using the Internet connection (my housemate hasn't got a laptop at the moment), it goes terrribly slow in terms of download rates during late afternoon hours. E.g. while downloading mp3s through SoulSeek, I get 150-200KB/s (or more) per download during the day, but right now, at around 6-7 PM, we're talking 200-300B/s (that's roughly 0.2/0.3 KB/s for you) :eek:
At first I thought that's just the people I'm downloading from having either a crappy connection or something, providing me with rubbish upload, but it's - like - 4th day when I've noticed this happening, and it applies to all the downloads - so even those users that I have been downloading from with an excellent speed, suddendly slide down to semi-dial-up speed :confused:
Same's with loading the streaming content on the video websites - goes remarkably lower, compared to the speed during the very late night (2-3AM) and during the working day.
Does anyone know what might be the cause of it and what could be done (if anything) to solve that?

I mean, it's kinda weird - I'm not an expert when it comes down to the Internet-related issues, but it kinda looks like someone would have been bumrushing my router and seizing the Internet connection for an odd number of hours, day in and day out - even though it's very unlikely, 'cause the network is password protected and it's a pass made up of - as far as I recall - 12 digits or something, so definitely not an easily breakable one. Also, as stated previously, I am the only person using the Internet connection, so it should be really supersonic (almost), and yet I'm getting such dissimilarities between day and evening download speeds :mad:

Many thanks for the help, any kind of tips would be greatly appreciated :yep:
JMonkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wireless sucks and you are lucky you don't lose your connection intermittently like I do. Peak times mean peak other wireless connections who's intereference can lead to slower transfer rates or loss of signal.

That said I'm guessing based on my own experience but check out your connection speed at these times. It could be down to a few Mbps.

It could also be that the server you are on cannot cope with peak demand, it could be anything but short of getting 8MB cable connections without wireless you may have to lump it.

Like anything else in the electromagnetic spectrum though if its wireless and particularly if its ADSL and thus fairly slow it could be subject to interference, like a radio sounds with the vaccum cleaner perched on top of it and running, or your speakers (unshielded next to your monitor produce that wierd rainbow effect. Electrons are crap, roll on optical computers, not just optical wired cable.

If you have router security (password and set up only to let you connect if you don't want others infringing on your band width) and a firewall it's unlikely anyone cares enough to hack you, although its possible, you are not the CIA but it happens.

If you have a virus checker or adaware software then run them as well, might turn up any key loggers, trojans, and assorted cookie bots, that can slow you down, although that's not the reason for peak time slow down usually unless you've been hacked.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMonkey)
Wireless sucks and you are lucky you don't lose your connection intermittently like I do.
Oh well, I do :rolleyes: But that's a different story, lol

Thanks for a swift reply. Yeah, well - I've got a new MacBook Pro, have been using it for 2 weeks now, so it's unlikely that I have any keyloggers or other stuff, as I haven't even been installing that much of software. Can you get this type of malicious soft for MacOS X anyway? :confused:

The rubbish thing about my situation is that my room is the only one that doesn't have a phone access point :mad: My flatmate has it in his room, and there is another room, inbetween mine and his, that's not occupied yet, and there is a phone socket as well - but I don't have it, so I can't get the router to my room and use the cable connection while being plugged in directly into the router. I thought about moving the router to that - yet - unoccupied room, it's gonna be a few metres closer to me then, but I've got no idea whether that would actually be of any help? :confused:

I spoke to my landlady, but she told me that the current Internt connection is the fastest available one, due to whatever reason. Dunno exactly why, but yeah - I mean, fair play, if she says that and she's the owner of the place, I'm down with it, I am not gonna get a contract to my name, 'cause I change flats quite often, plus I'm quite likely to end up on campus this September where Internet will be provided, so wouldn't like to be left with a contract I have to pay for but am not using it.

Not sure about the firewall, though - haven't installed anything, but am pretty sure MacOS X has something built-in? :confused:

Anyhoo, thanks for the reply and tips
Creepy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dynamitri)
Spoiler:
Show
Hello,

I have recently moved to a new flatshare. There is an internet connection available, wireless router and I'm using it. It works fine, although I've noticed quite an odd pattern - it seems that even though I am the only person using the Internet connection (my housemate hasn't got a laptop at the moment), it goes terrribly slow in terms of download rates during late afternoon hours. E.g. while downloading mp3s through SoulSeek, I get 150-200KB/s (or more) per download during the day, but right now, at around 6-7 PM, we're talking 200-300B/s (that's roughly 0.2/0.3 KB/s for you) :eek:
At first I thought that's just the people I'm downloading from having either a crappy connection or something, providing me with rubbish upload, but it's - like - 4th day when I've noticed this happening, and it applies to all the downloads - so even those users that I have been downloading from with an excellent speed, suddendly slide down to semi-dial-up speed :confused:
Same's with loading the streaming content on the video websites - goes remarkably lower, compared to the speed during the very late night (2-3AM) and during the working day.
Does anyone know what might be the cause of it and what could be done (if anything) to solve that?

I mean, it's kinda weird - I'm not an expert when it comes down to the Internet-related issues, but it kinda looks like someone would have been bumrushing my router and seizing the Internet connection for an odd number of hours, day in and day out - even though it's very unlikely, 'cause the network is password protected and it's a pass made up of - as far as I recall - 12 digits or something, so definitely not an easily breakable one. Also, as stated previously, I am the only person using the Internet connection, so it should be really supersonic (almost), and yet I'm getting such dissimilarities between day and evening download speeds :mad:

Many thanks for the help, any kind of tips would be greatly appreciated :yep:
Go to www.speedtest.net. Select London, and tell me what you get now (9pm is probably as good as 7pm).
Puma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who is your ISP? Virgin Media?

To me it sounds like you are being choked by your ISP, either for downloading too much or due to it being peak hours and your at the bottom of the list.
Are you sure the router has security?
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're welcome Dynamitri.

She's probably right your landlady check out the internet, and your location for fastest speeds, she may just not want to pay for an upgrade, although if you offer to that's not a concern.

With the interweb it really is impossible to say without seeing your PC. Most companies do it over the phone, but TBH actually being present is the only sure fire way as you may be an internet idiot like most. The internet for dumbies should help, although you don't sound like one. Await the wise is my suggestion I am but an interested intermediate at best, I'm sure some expert will know more.

You're right though Macs are generally more immune than MS users.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
(Original post by Terryw)
Who is your ISP? Virgin Media?
I'm pretty sure it's the infamous BT :rolleyes:
To me it sounds like you are being choked by your ISP, either for downloading too much or due to it being peak hours and your at the bottom of the list.
Might be the latter, rather than the former - I've recently moved in, haven't managed to download that much yet anyway, plus have been told by the landlady that the internet is unlimited, and so has been told my housemate while viewing the flat.
Are you sure the router has security?
Well, it's got the pad-lock symbol on my available Wi-Fi networks list, plus I had to type in the password for the router to allow me to connect to the Internet, so am pretty sure that yeah, I have it. Might try removing the router to the (now) unoccupied room, as said previously, and changing the password or toying a bit with the settings. Will have to wait until my housemate comes back home, though :s
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
(Original post by Creepy)
Go to www.speedtest.net. Select London, and tell me what you get now (9pm is probably as good as 7pm).
DL: 2.22 Mb/s
UL: 0.37 Mb/s
Ping: 106ms

Still, my SoulSeek client (ssX) is on, and even though the test doesn't show an embarassingly low speed, I'm on 0.28KB/s download rate and it happens on a daily basis. :confused:

TBH - I'm not a computer idiot, in fact I know quite a lot, but not about Wi-Fi, let's put it that way. I have been using the cable connection for the most of my life, that's why I kinda grope my way through it, if you know what I mean. Toying with ports might fool the ISP if they actually happen to be chocking me, even though I'm on unlimited and not using a widely-known application, like eMule?

Wouldn't surprise me if I had been banned for torrents - but tbh I haven't been using them that much, only for a short while, and yet problems are on both the u-Torrent app and ssX/SoulSeek - they stil run, but occasionally terribly slowly :confused:
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Internet WAP protection is standard these days so you probably have, especially given saying you have to write a pw to access your router, check out what the protocol is called, I forget the names off the top of my head but it should list if you have them enabled on your wireless router.
Puma
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm pretty sure it's the infamous BT :rolleyes:

Might be the latter, rather than the former - I've recently moved in, haven't managed to download that much yet anyway, plus have been told by the landlady that the internet is unlimited, and so has been told my housemate while viewing the flat.

Well, it's got the pad-lock symbol on my available Wi-Fi networks list, plus I had to type in the password for the router to allow me to connect to the Internet, so am pretty sure that yeah, I have it. Might try removing the router to the (now) unoccupied room, as said previously, and changing the password or toying a bit with the settings. Will have to wait until my housemate comes back home, though :s
Unlimited internet doesn't mean "unlimited" like you would think.
'Choking' can still occur. It could be that your housemate previously downloaded crap loads of stuff and now your paying the price.

Or, yeah it is a possibility of high network traffic on the BT servers.

The router needs to be away from walls, TVs, microwaves and things like metal desks and stuff.

If you really want to and know what your doing, you could hard reset the router, change the frequency and then apply a new password to see if that helps.

Have you done any speed tests?
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hehe the best solution I heard was setting up a massive antennae and blasting your opponents off the airwaves, although you may receive angry rants about the 5 mile radius dead zone in your area.

Good points Terry, I think like I inferred and you said it sounds like an ISP problem rather than a system problem.

If you want to solve issues of wireless in some way as to make them redundant, If you can get a USB2 plug in a good one with good strength issues, they are better and they don't depend on the direction the antenna is pointed in because your laptop isn't in the ideal location generally, don't forget all the wires close to the card an interfere in the same way any electromagnetic signal can, so if you can isolate it by moving it away from your pc or shielding it like USB2 plugins do, it might help. I can't use them as my PC doesn't seem to like them but it may help.

Think of your laptop like a mobile, signal strength may well be simply a matter of holding it up in the right location.

I don't want to go into the physics of waves (because its boring and technical) but some locations are just more compatible than others.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
Unlimited internet doesn't mean "unlimited" like you would think.
Yeah, I mean - I know the "Fair usage policy" crap that ISPs keep on peddling, but come on - it's not like I've been downloading tons of movies, I've been here for, like, 3 weeks plus, he's been here for a week and a half, I'm on my computer most of the time due to the nature of my job and my hobby (music), being on-line all the time and haven't noticed any particular slow-downs before (apart from the regular, late-afternoon ones, that is) - had he been going torrent-bonkers, I'd have noticed that I can't do jack, at least that's what I think :confused:

The router needs to be away from walls, TVs, microwaves and things like metal desks and stuff.
As far as I remember, he's got it on a shelf, quite close to the wall tbh, so I might just grab it from him and move it to a better place.

If you really want to and know what your doing, you could hard reset the router, change the frequency and then apply a new password to see if that helps.
Yeah, might actually go for it, worth giving a shot. Speed tests done, quoted above :yep:
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
If you can get a USB2 plug in
You mean, like a USB Wi-Fi dongle? What's a chance of it being any help whatsoever?
I can buy it, but tbh don't feel like splashing £20+ on a gadget that I will find useless at the end of the day, as I've got an internal Wi-Fi card anyway. Would have to be 100% sure there's is high possibility of it improving stuff.

Thought about replacing the whole router, but at the same time - I'm having an excellent reception, it's maximum coverage all the time and doesn't get any lower at any time, even though the connection is somehow intermittent indeed, it just "dies" for a couple of secs - up to 10-15 I'd say - kicking me out of my IM and not allowing to browse pages, then coming back automatically, without any input from my side. That all happening with maximum network coverage all the time, at least that's what the AirPort shows - so I'm pretty darn sure the router itself is not much of an issue, had it been, I would have noticed the coverage going up and down on the indicator and so on, whereas nothing of this kind is and has been actually happening.

Really weird, if you ask me :confused:
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I presume you mean 2.2MBps not 2.2Mbps as that is awful and is 1/8th the speed of the former.

Assuming that is so that's perfectly respectable mine runs on about 1.5MBps on average with no problems assuming signal strength is ok.

8MBps (Megabytes) is equivalent to 64Mbps (megabits) for example.

Like I say a good router programme should show your actually speed not the speed you should be getting, which is what an internet programme will show.

for example if I roll over mine at the mo it says maximum 28Mbps or 36Mbps which is way more than the ~2MB I'm expecting to get all things being perfect. In fact it's ~two times more at least. It goes up to 56Mbps with a perfect signal.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
I presume you mean 2.2MBps not 2.2Mbps as that is awful and is 1.8th the speed of the former.
Erm, lol - no, not really. that's what the test shows. It has sunk even lower now, to be honest:

:confused: :confused: :confused:
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Erm, lol - no, not really. that's what the test shows. It has sunk even lower now, to be honest:

:confused: :confused: :confused:
I wouldn't trust them as there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Trust your own eyes and the speed your programme tells you you can get from moment to moment as it adjusts at a good rate if you refresh it.

It's an integral quite literally and changes second to second. These programmes generally want you to subscribe to a better service and are much slower than your eyes.

You mean, like a USB Wi-Fi dongle? What's a chance of it being any help whatsoever?
I can buy it, but tbh don't feel like splashing £20+ on a gadget that I will find useless at the end of the day, as I've got an internal Wi-Fi card anyway. Would have to be 100% sure there's is high possibility of it improving stuff.

Thought about replacing the whole router, but at the same time - I'm having an excellent reception, it's maximum coverage all the time and doesn't get any lower at any time, even though the connection is somehow intermittent indeed, it just "dies" for a couple of secs - up to 10-15 I'd say - kicking me out of my IM and not allowing to browse pages, then coming back automatically, without any input from my side. That all happening with maximum network coverage all the time, at least that's what the AirPort shows - so I'm pretty darn sure the router itself is not much of an issue, had it been, I would have noticed the coverage going up and down on the indicator and so on, whereas nothing of this kind is and has been actually happening.

Really weird, if you ask me :confused:

No exactly until you know what the problem is do nothing drastic like paying money, just a thought if the problem isn't the ISP like it sounds.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
I wouldn't trust them as there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Trust your own eyes and the speed your programme tells you you can get from moment to moment as it adjusts at a good rate if you refresh it.

It's an integral quite literally and changes second to second.
That lunch part got me confused - so, well, what do you suggest me to do?

Right now I've got the following on the list:

- getting my hands on the router
- moving to a room that is a bit closer to mine
- having it moved away from the walls as much as possible
- possibly changing the frequency and the password

anything else?

what still kinda bites me is that the connection is really excellent during the day and night, and it's just the peak time - 6 PM up to 11-12PM or a bit later, when it goes dial-up at the very best, plus this being a regular and recurring action :confused:
Puma
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Personally, I would call BT and ask them to do a line check during the times you suffer badly with.
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That lunch part got me confused - so, well, what do you suggest me to do?

Right now I've got the following on the list:

- getting my hands on the router
- moving to a room that is a bit closer to mine
- having it moved away from the walls as much as possible
- possibly changing the frequency and the password

anything else?
Good moves. Does your software not tell you your signal strength from moment to moment. If it doesn't then its **** frankly. You don't need an internet site to tell you what speed you are getting just your eyes usually.

All good advice here though, and good luck.

Like I say unless we are physically there we have no idea and are working on internet kung fu or intuition.

Mines on a setting of 6 whatever that means, because of all the users only one other person in my area uses that and his signal strength is virtually nothing.

Your ISP help programme should tell you what frequencies are best if they don't again they are useless ISP.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
Personally, I would call BT and ask them to do a line check during the times you suffer badly with.
What's the "line check" exactly, so that I know more or less the area I'm at while talking to them, lol

Might give them a call tomorrow. Not sure if they'll let me, as I have not been authorised to act on behalf of my landlady, plus I am not listed as a person that gets the bills for the Internet, but it's worth trying nonetheless. If not, I'll have to wait until she comes back from the States next week :s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.47%
No - but I will (74)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (463)
47.93%

Watched Threads