His/her sencond language is English!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
80s Love Child!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Guys.....is this so-called 'language barrier' prevents him/her to make friends/have relationships with people whose 1st language is English? Can this cause any problem at all? :confused:
Any experiences about this??? Please post it. Ta
Debussy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
whats with all the threads?
80s Love Child!
Rep:
?
OOOOOOOOOps spelling error : second*
How do you edit a thread by the way? :confused:
80s Love Child!
Rep:
?
lol........i dont know exactly lol... im just a tad bored really!!! thats all...lol hope u understand.
FTSE100
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my second language is english.

and cos i live in a rural area i had to attend local comprehensive.

i really had no choice but to get on with everyone even if i couldnt say a word .

then again, i was a massive sports junkie so didnt take long to learn the language.
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
um, well...
english is my third language effectively. i talk to almost everyone in my class...
get on well...
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
14 threads and 38 posts :confused:
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 13 years ago
If his/hers english is up to scratch, which a lot of foreign students are, there shouldn't be a problem in the first place. It's more likely the culture shock. Most decent, open minded people will want to make an effort with him/her anyway, on a friendship level.

I often go to France or Germany, and although the language barrier isn't as much a problem anymore, of course it's harder to communicate. But it also means that you really have to start from the beginning, so you end up knowing everthing about each other - plus you end up spending a lot of time together when doing this. Basically, there's not a lot to worry about. If you're enquiring about unis etc, there are lots of foreign circles, and i'd have thought there'd be someone who speaks the some language somewhere.
80s Love Child!
Rep:
?
and what's wrong with that? :confused: :p:
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by FTSE100)
then again, i was a massive sports junkie so didnt take long to learn the language.
What language? like "Score", "Get round the back", "Penetrate defence"... I can see how sport teaches you very important vocabulary.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PrincE MarkuS)
Guys.....is this so-called 'language barrier' prevents him/her to make friends/have relationships with people whose 1st language is English? Can this cause any problem at all? :confused:
Any experiences about this??? Please post it. Ta
I'd say it's hard to seduce girls in a different language. They immediately think you're a pervert out to get them because you have absolutely no tact speaking a foreign language (not that I have any tact speaking my mother tongue)
It's not so much the language barrier than the cultural barrier than can be a huge problem. How you "deal" with the opposite sex changes completely with the country.
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PrincE MarkuS)
lol........i dont know exactly lol... im just a tad bored really!!! thats all...lol hope u understand.
there's a name for that.... SPAM!!!!
Monii
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes it can be a "problem" ... in september i went to a new school - a british one so obviously with everything in english...before i had attended only czech schools so it was unusual for me to eg express my feelings in english (before i had no experience with using english apart from english classes), i didn't understand british accent etc. so first few weeks i basically talked only to czech people - but in less than a month it changed and now most of my friends can't even speak czech...
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Monii)
yes it can be a "problem" ... in september i went to a new school - a british one so obviously with everything in english...before i had attended only czech schools so it was unusual for me to eg express my feelings in english (before i had no experience with using english apart from english classes), i didn't understand british accent etc. so first few weeks i basically talked only to czech people - but in less than a month it changed and now most of my friends can't even speak czech...
jestec piecna...
Monii
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
jestec piecna...

eh?
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Monii)
eh?
I meant jestes piekna... I think.
Monii
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I meant jestes piekna... I think.
oh i got it now - you mean "jses pekna", right? diky
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Monii)
oh i got it now - you mean "jses pekna", right? diky
diky? that sounds insulting...
dobra...
Djenkuje?
I guess that's what I meant. I only know a few words in Polish. I was hoping that it would be more obvious for you to understand.

What about djen
FTSE100
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What language? like "Score", "Get round the back", "Penetrate defence"... I can see how sport teaches you very important vocabulary.

its awkward to just come to these foreigners(english) and speak in a language that i ve never spoken before.

sports, especially Football is a language everyone can speak !!!!!!!!!
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My Dads first lanuage isn't English. Although now he has been living here about 20ish years he has picked it up well. I don't have many problems talking to him, unless there is a confusion over which word to use (Very rarely now) or I have to explain what a word means, that can happen quite often but it is usually when I use psychology/media terms.
I don't think that it was ever a problem for my Mum.
It can be an advantage as it means that if you learn part of their mother tongue (providing it isn't well known) then you can say you want to leave etc without causing offence to others.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise