Working during vacations at Oxford? Watch

jackmb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
If everything goes well this summer with my exams I will be starting a PPE degree at Balliol in October. Currently I have a part time job at Tesco that pays quite well and seeming as the terms at Oxford are so short there is a good chance they will agree to let me keep working on the basis that I'm available for 28 weeks of the year. I was wondering how much work I should expect to have to do over vacations so that I can decide how many hours I should ask for. Can anyone give me some advice?
paddyman4
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know specifically about PPE, but in Christmas Holidays you should be able to get by whilst working at Tescos as much as you want. In Easter Holidays, you won't want to be working at Tescos very much if at all. And Summer holidays you can do what you want.
wadhamite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
10 hours a week over Easter would still give you time to do any revision you wanted to, and you could push that as high as you like in the Christmas and Long vac... but you might find, once you're here, that you want to spend your vacations going off and doing fun things (like visiting friends!), or that you can get a much better paid job than working in Tesco. Eg, if you go and work for a bank/management consultancy in between 1st and 2nd year (you'd have to apply in your first term at Oxford), you could be earning £500-1000/week for 4-8 weeks of the Long vac, which means you may not have to work in your other vacs...
jackmb
Rep:
?
(Original post by wadhamite)
10 hours a week over Easter would still give you time to do any revision you wanted to, and you could push that as high as you like in the Christmas and Long vac... but you might find, once you're here, that you want to spend your vacations going off and doing fun things (like visiting friends!), or that you can get a much better paid job than working in Tesco. Eg, if you go and work for a bank/management consultancy in between 1st and 2nd year (you'd have to apply in your first term at Oxford), you could be earning £500-1000/week for 4-8 weeks of the Long vac, which means you may not have to work in your other vacs...
How difficult is it to get one of these jobs, I'm guessing banks aren't quite so keen on taking part time workers these days?
Tipareth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Eg, if you go and work for a bank/management consultancy in between 1st and 2nd year (you'd have to apply in your first term at Oxford), you could be earning £500-1000/week for 4-8 weeks of the Long vac, which means you may not have to work in your other vacs...
I want to do that!

Is that just for PPE or ME people, or would PPP be able to apply too?
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
NB Technically (and I get flamed every year for reminding people of this) you need your tutor's permission to have a job even in the vacations. Not that they're likely tor refuse, just worth bearing in mind. I would say Christmas you can probably work a fair amount (although it'll depend partly on how seriously your colleges take collections - as it varies a lot - and partly on how secure you're feeling) whereas Easter... You don't want to revise all the time but you may find yourself panicking if you fall into the half of the year that find 1st year exams terrifying...

Tbh I know virtually anyone who managed to get 1st year vacation internship type things. Almost everyone is only interested in 2nd years.
dougiemacs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
28 weeks? so with 24 weeks at uni, this gives u no free time whatsoever........
wadhamite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How will your tutor know, that's what I always wonder?! My tutors have no idea if/when I work.
wadhamite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jackmb)
How difficult is it to get one of these jobs, I'm guessing banks aren't quite so keen on taking part time workers these days?
It's called an internship, you go and work full time for the company for 2-10 weeks in the summer vacation...
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How will your tutor know, that's what I always wonder?! My tutors have no idea if/when I work.
I doubt they ever will. I think it's just one of those things, like not being in residence for 42 nights per term that, if you were to get into dire straits in some other respect, then they could refuse use it as a lever. (The absence is a bigger deal though - technically to get your degree you don't just have to pass the exams, you also have to stay in residence; so if you don't they can declare your degree void until you spend another year in Oxford :eek:)
wadhamite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
I doubt they ever will. I think it's just one of those things, like not being in residence for 42 nights per term that, if you were to get into dire straits in some other respect, then they could refuse use it as a lever. (The absence is a bigger deal though - technically to get your degree you don't just have to pass the exams, you also have to stay in residence; so if you don't they can declare your degree void until you spend another year in Oxford :eek:)
That's another one... while I lived out, there was one term where I certainly didn't spend 42 nights in Oxford - but how would they ever tell? If you live out, no one could keep track. And here at Jowett, no one seems to bother.
jackmb
Rep:
?
(Original post by dougiemacs)
28 weeks? so with 24 weeks at uni, this gives u no free time whatsoever........
Well clearly I'd be entitled to x amount of holiday and i wouldn't work seven day weeks...
lol_wut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
your tutors will expect you to revise for collections in the holidays. this can be done in 0th week (the week before the term starts), so you are free for almost all of the vacation.
scaffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
NB Technically (and I get flamed every year for reminding people of this) you need your tutor's permission to have a job even in the vacations. Not that they're likely tor refuse, just worth bearing in mind. I would say Christmas you can probably work a fair amount (although it'll depend partly on how seriously your colleges take collections - as it varies a lot - and partly on how secure you're feeling) whereas Easter... You don't want to revise all the time but you may find yourself panicking if you fall into the half of the year that find 1st year exams terrifying...
But absolutely no one sticks to that - most people go through their time here, working in the holidays, completely ignorant of that rule, and no one cares at all. All you're doing by bringing it up and posting it on an internet forum is making Oxford look much more crappy, over-controlling and antiquated than it is. :dontknow:
Tipareth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaffy)
But absolutely no one sticks to that - most people go through their time here, working in the holidays, completely ignorant of that rule, and no one cares at all. All you're doing by bringing it up and posting it on an internet forum is making Oxford look much more crappy, over-controlling and antiquated than it is. :dontknow:
BUT, crucially - the rule does exist, and Bekaboo does qualify that it is very rarely enforced.

It is worth being aware of such rules - even if they are not adhered to or enforced.

I don't Bekaboo makes Oxford look "more crappy, over-controlling and antiquated" than it is. If in fact this rule gives the impression, then surely Oxford is to blame? Don't shoot the messenger.

Regardless, I don't think it does.

But then I love all all the old remnants of a world past, and Oxford is that. Keep tradition, I say.
sophisticated
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If thems are the rules ( ) then there's no reason why bekaboo can't just warn the OP about the situation! If its the truth then why not? Oxford mades these rules, so they should be prepared for the consequences of how it makes them appear to students on a forum such as this. I doubt its going to put anyone off from applying there, do you?
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the rules are college-specific, rather than University rules, as in the Balliol handbook.
scaffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tipareth)
BUT, crucially - the rule does exist, and Bekaboo does qualify that it is very rarely enforced.

It is worth being aware of such rules - even if they are not adhered to or enforced.

I don't Bekaboo makes Oxford look "more crappy, over-controlling and antiquated" than it is. If in fact this rule gives the impression, then surely Oxford is to blame? Don't shoot the messenger.

Regardless, I don't think it does.

But then I love all all the old remnants of a world past, and Oxford is that. Keep tradition, I say.
(Original post by sophisticated)
If thems are the rules ( ) then there's no reason why bekaboo can't just warn the OP about the situation! If its the truth then why not? Oxford mades these rules, so they should be prepared for the consequences of how it makes them appear to students on a forum such as this. I doubt its going to put anyone off from applying there, do you?
It's the fact that it isn't a real rule. It's not useful to make people nervous and worried about rules that are not real. I don't know anyone except Bekaboo, tutor, student, noticeboard, that has ever ever mentioned it - no one, student or academic cares about whether it's kept, I expect quite a lot of the staff don't know that it exists & it's silly to make it sound like it's more in existence than it is.
If it were proper & enforced, wouldn't you be damn indignant? To have your university dictate what you did over the summer? and logically, shouldn't it follow that you'd have to ask college if you wanted to go on holiday in the vac? So yeah, it might put me off. Lots of people seem to be slightly off put by the fact that you can't (and this makes sense -terms are so very very short) work more than a certain number of hours during termtime and focus on the fact that they need to work during the vac to have enough money. I remember being a little cowed by what appeared to be all the heavy, silly (although now the silly and fun side is more obvious) traditions before I came.
x
I'm not particularly doubting its existence - it does seem like one of the silly, never noticed/mentioned oxford rules, but where did you see it? I've just done an attempted google and come up with nothing. Even the jesus college handbook: http://home.jesus.ox.ac.uk/offices/tutorial/ughb08.pdf doesn't mention anything at all about not being allowed/having to ask permission for vac paid work, it only has the regular bit about termwork (and, as Cpchem says, it does seem to vary quite a bit from college to college on that issue - jesus is a quite a lot stricter on the issue than Balliol.)
sophisticated
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's the fact that it isn't a real rule. It's not useful to make people nervous and worried about rules that are not real. I don't know anyone except Bekaboo, tutor, student, noticeboard, that has ever ever mentioned it - no one, student or academic cares about whether it's kept, I expect quite a lot of the staff don't know that it exists & it's silly to make it sound like it's more in existence than it is.
If it were proper & enforced, wouldn't you be damn indignant? To have your university dictate what you did over the summer? and logically, shouldn't it follow that you'd have to ask college if you wanted to go on holiday in the vac? So yeah, it might put me off. Lots of people seem to be slightly off put by the fact that you can't (and this makes sense -terms are so very very short) work more than a certain number of hours during termtime and focus on the fact that they need to work during the vac to have enough money. I remember being a little cowed by what appeared to be all the heavy, silly (although now the silly and fun side is more obvious) traditions before I came.

I'm not particularly doubting its existence - it does seem like one of the silly, never noticed/mentioned oxford rules, but where did you see it? I've just done an attempted google and come up with nothing. Even the jesus college handbook: http://home.jesus.ox.ac.uk/offices/tutorial/ughb08.pdf doesn't mention anything at all about not being allowed/having to ask permission for vac paid work, it only has the regular bit about termwork (and, as Cpchem says, it does seem to vary quite a bit from college to college on that issue - jesus is a quite a lot stricter on the issue than Balliol.)
You just destabilised your whole argument. You went to Oxford all the same. Who cares if its a "real rule", by real rule you mean its not really enforced. But the rule still exists. Bekaboo was merely pointing out the existence of aforementioned rule, even if its not enforced, and it was mentioned somewhere that you can have a part-time job if you get permission from their tutor, and I do think its pretty unlikely that they're going to say no unless its a ridiculously strenuous or time-consuming job. You're just nit-picking at Bekaboo's perfectly valid point. If the rule exists, even if its not enforced, its right and relevant that Bekaboo should notify the OP.

Besides, its better that the OP is aware of such a rule before perhaps publicly complaining about the woes of their part-time job to fellow students or a personal tutor at Oxford?
scaffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sophisticated)
You just destabilised your whole argument. You went to Oxford all the same. Who cares if its a "real rule", by real rule you mean its not really enforced. But the rule still exists. Bekaboo was merely pointing out the existence of aforementioned rule, even if its not enforced, and it was mentioned somewhere that you can have a part-time job if you get permission from their tutor, and I do think its pretty unlikely that they're going to say no unless its a ridiculously strenuous or time-consuming job. You're just nit-picking at Bekaboo's perfectly valid point. If the rule exists, even if its not enforced, its right and relevant that Bekaboo should notify the OP.
A lot of people get a lot more nervy about oxford being oxfordy, evenmore so than me. You only have to mention that you go there to people at home and you have people explaining to you how they wouldn't want to go there, it's all posh people and silly rules. There might be a little bit of sour grapes there, but there is a genuine, scary image of oxbridge in the media/public which isn't true, but is pretty off-putting to the types of people that might be less confident about applying because they don't see themselves as coming from that sort of environment. :dontknow:. Also, I've never ever heard of this rule except from bekaboo.

Besides, its better that the OP is aware of such a rule before perhaps publicly complaining about the woes of their part-time job to fellow students or a personal tutor at Oxford?
The term rule is real, to college-specific extents (eg if you look at the balliol handbook posted above, there you're allowed to work up to 8 hrs a week without asking for persmission). Anyway, if your friends turn you in they wouldn't really be worth knowing...
[or, alternatively if you're still talking about the vac thing, everyone with one does moan/mention about their home-time work]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads