Does God Exist. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jackano11
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm an atheist, but im interested to see WHY other people believe in God, because personally, i can't actually think how it is possible that a god created the earth. Especially with the big bang theory being researched...
dougiemacs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just to warn, u will get a lot of "billionth thread" comments on this
Jackano11
(Original post by dougiemacs)
just to warn, u will get a lot of "billionth thread" comments on this
what do you mean by billionth thread comments?
Superstar6318
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jackano11)
what do you mean by billionth thread comments?
He means that people like me will come along and say "THERE ARE A BILLION THREADS ON THIS ALREADY!"

Get it now?

And ffs I'm not bothered whether someone believes in God like me or who doesn't whatever. I speak on behalf on TSR when I say IM SICK OF THESE GOD/MUSLIM/RELIGION threads!

Rant over. Pheww
Jackano11
(Original post by Superstar6318)
He means that people like me will come along and say "THERE ARE A BILLION THREADS ON THIS ALREADY!"

Get it now?

And ffs I'm not bothered whether someone believes in God like me or who doesn't whatever. I speak on behalf on TSR when I say IM SICK OF THESE GOD/MUSLIM/RELIGION threads!

Rant over. Pheww
i see
seems like i chose the wrong topic then, eh
Lamasamaka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People can't handle reality, they need to cling to something. Even if they use reason to come to their conclusion, there will be a flaw in their reasoning somewhere that they are blind to, willingly or not.

/thread - seriously
Kneechuh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Evidence says no.
MichaelG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lamasamaka)
People can't handle reality, they need to cling to something. Even if they use reason to come to their conclusion, there will be a flaw in their reasoning somewhere that they are blind to, willingly or not.

/thread - seriously
pretty much this. note its also irrelevant if God exists or not; religion isn't about proving a 'God' exists.
cook my sock
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
HAHAHAHA GOD! LMAO :rofl:
Silver_Fox
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People can believe in God because they are socially conditioned to believe it. The idea that there is a god or some kind of afterlife is deeply entwined with our society.- it's in books, films, television, in the churches that are dotted around our country. People are brought up believing - or at least suspecting the possibility - of an afterlife.

Why don't people just dismiss this idea in the face of no scientific proof proving its existence? Well, there really isn't any absolute proof that there isn't a god. So even though it seems unlikely that there is one - there is still that element of doubt that allows people to continue to believe - if they want to. The Big Bang theory doesn't prove there isn't a God. It explains how everything was created apart from all the gas and dust that started the bang off in the first place. Who created that gas and dust? Where did it come from? And what made the explosion happen? There are no answers to those questions. Some people might say that God created the elements that caused the big bang and used that to create the universe. Really, there is no scientific proof that can disprove God's existence because it can all be explained as God working through the scientific principles. For examples, the theory of evolution does not dispute God because you could argue that God was using evolution to make mankind etc.

People like to believe in God because it's comforting. Really, the alternative to there being a God is so depressing and horrific - why wouldn't you want to believe? If you don't believe in God you have to accept the fact that you are never going to see the people you loved who died again. You have to accept that you yourself are just going to simply end when you pass away. These are ideas that are very difficult and painful to accept. So most people at least hope that there is an afterlife.

I actually feel pretty envious of people who can just blindly believe in God.
Lamasamaka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Silver_Fox)
I actually feel pretty envious of people who can just blindly believe in God.
To be honest, I find it pretty strange that any human mind can be so accepting of such an unlikely concept.

I think much of the time the issue is not god, but religion.

The points you made about disproving god; you're right, they don't. However, the big bang theory and evolution definitely do disprove the major religions. Some of them try to embrace the theories and claim that their religions are consistent with them, but we all know it's just a desperate attempt to be more viable.

In the end, you will see that the religion did not predict any scientific theory of life/existence/the cosmos clearly enough to be considered a prediction. (This means that the vague references to something that is really small predicting an atom is nonsence)

Nor do any of them have any real evidence of not being man-made. This, I find the strangest; if your religion can be entirely accounted for by the fabrication of humans, how can you possibly believe it?

Other than the religious sense, I think whether or not "god exists" is almost irrelevant anyway.
Silver_Fox
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lamasamaka)
To be honest, I find it pretty strange that any human mind can be so accepting of such an unlikely concept.

I think much of the time the issue is not god, but religion.

The points you made about disproving god; you're right, they don't. However, the big bang theory and evolution definitely do disprove the major religions. Some of them try to embrace the theories and claim that their religions are consistent with them, but we all know it's just a desperate attempt to be more viable.

In the end, you will see that the religion did not predict any scientific theory of life/existence/the cosmos clearly enough to be considered a prediction. (This means that the vague references to something that is really small predicting an atom is nonsence)

Nor do any of them have any real evidence of not being man-made. This, I find the strangest; if your religion can be entirely accounted for by the fabrication of humans, how can you possibly believe it?

Other than the religious sense, I think whether or not "god exists" is almost irrelevant anyway.
It depends on whether you interpret the religion's holy book literally or not. I don't know much about other religions but Christians can either understand the Bible as the complete and absolute truth - that is that the world really was created in 7 days and that Jesus did turn water into wine or they can take a more liberal approach. So they might understand the stories about Jesus's miracles as being metaphorical - that is that Jesus did not really turn water into wine but that the story has some moral point behind it. I don't think it is a "desperate attempt to be more viable," it's simply shows that religion really can adapt to meet society's changing needs. Religion is a social construct so by its very nature it must be able to change and develop according to society.

You could argue that religion is proof of God's existence. The fact that there are so many religions across so many different time periods and societies suggests that humans have some kind of inbuilt need to find God or to believe in a God. Of course you could also argue that religion is really like mankind's ability to use language. It developed because there was a need for it across all societies. When man became so advanced that they could question things and apprehend the future, there became a need to create something that could explain things and comfort them in times of distress and that something was religion.

I'd say that it makes logical sense that the religious books did not explain scientific processes or theory etc. This is because all the religious books were written by people of a certain time period. They couldn't possibly write down things that they didn't even understand and that were hundreds of years before their time - that would be ridiculous! It would also mean that God would somehow have to give mankind very advanced scientific and medical information before it was ready for it! I think the answer is that God works through the natural processes on this earth. He can't force technological, medical and scientific advances on mankind - he has to let them evolve and develop over hundreds of years according to the way society naturally develops. Also, if God did intervene and give mankind scientific information like that it would A. prove God's existence (when the point of religion is that it depends on faith B.it would eliminate freedom of choice. Mankind is supposed to be free to develop according to their own choices and freewill.
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is a thread on this topic stickied in the Theology section.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.75%
No - but I will (53)
7.02%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
47.95%

Watched Threads