new camera plus tech. details Watch

blueberrynka
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hello, I would like to buy a new digital camera, but I dont know which parametres are important (eg. zoom range 38-114, is it good or bad???:confused: :confused: ) Could someone help me, please? Plus could you give me some recommendations? price- up to 120p. thanks
motoroller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
zoom is a measure of how much you can fit into your photo - e.g. standing on one side of the room, can you see the whole room or just someones face through the camera?

the general parameters you'll be looking for are megapixels, zoom range, image quality (read reviews) and video capability (if that's necessary)...
BurningSnowman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yup. I would add that zoom also indicates how close you can get, and I'd suggest that megapixels are likely to be irrelevant unless you do big prints. Focus on actual quality - look at decent review sites like dpreview instead.

The zoom range you mentioned will be a 'translation' of a focal length into film term equivalents. 38mm is the wide end (not really wide at all - typical for a compact, not particularly good for fitting everyone in), 114mm is the nearest you can get. It's usually simpler to just look at magnification ratios when thinking about the latter, i.e. 114/38 = 3 so this is 3x zoom. Closest you can get is 3 times nearer than your widest. Most specs just quote Nx in the key features.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads