Couple of years out before uni? Watch

DoodleVibe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm considering taking a couple of years out before university and just want to get some opinions on the idea.

In terms of the background, my predicted grades for AS are 3As and an A/B, and I would be applying next year although not 100% what course, possibly management, possibly PPE, possibly Philosophy.

Career wise I'm also uncertain, I have thought about sales, possibly academia, possibly law and possibly management consultancy.

What I have thought about doing is instead of going straight into university, without 100% certainty on what course I want to do and what I want to do after. I considered getting a sales job, at least experimenting with one of my potential career avenues and gaining some experience before I go to uni, putting me in good stead when I graduate.

My question is how has anyone coped with entering university at 20, not as a mature student. Would it be weird spending a lot of time with people two years younger than you or does the age gap level out at that point?

What's everyones thoughts on this?
Controversial
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My boyfriend is 21. He's just finished his first year, and most people thought he was their age. There is a mix of students, but he fits in fine with the younger ones, and some (most) people will be 19 before uni starts anyway.

It sounds like a good idea, so you'll know what you do and don't like.
Toxic Tears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You may want to also take into account that the governement/unis will most likely double the tuition fees from 2011.
Doing work experience before uni does sound like a good idea though
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Toxic Tears)
You may want to also take into account that the governement/unis will most likely double the tuition fees from 2011.
Doing work experience before uni does sound like a good idea though
Evidence please? You need to make a distinction between what the unis would like to do and what the government will actually allow!
Altocirrus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I started uni at 20 and everyone just assumed I was 18/19. It's really not an issue at all.

University is a big commitment, and my advice would be to make sure you're fairly sure of what you want to study and have a career in mind. Taking time out to ponder and get some work experience sounds like a good idea to me.
TSK08
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im starting uni again at 21.... and now feel really old :P

i personally think you shouldnt go unless you know what you want to do (course wise)!..... as you willl end up regretting/changing and pratting about

its taken me 3 years to realise what i want to do..., 2 messed up colleges and a lot of tantrums.... worth the wait though :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.61%
No - but I will (4)
3.42%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.27%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (64)
54.7%

Watched Threads