The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DJkG.1
Yep, I'm doing AQA Britain 1906-51 too.

How's your studying going? I hate how they expect us to know the whole syllabus in detail for the 12 mark questions and in overview for the longer questions. :s

It's awful! I think i'm gonna really stryggle to remember it all tbh... there's just so much!! One of the questions my teacher gave me which was from the exam board was Asquith's government's effect on health and housing?! that's a tiny bit of the whole thing... and it was for 24 marks?!... Insania!
How's your revision going?
Reply 61
B_the_great
Its called Conflict and Change? i took it up as a AS this year instead of keeping all 4 A levels so its a new spec thing

We have seen past papers in class so i obviously must have known at some point... Its the course that contains Civil Rights in the USA 1945-68, Korean war, Vietnam war, Crimean war, Boer war and WW1?

Umm, could it be AQA History? It's the same dates as mine - if you've got that exam on Monday 8th in the morning for 90 mins with sources, I think you're on AQA.

Is anyone else doing AQA? Russia 1855-1917, then as aforementioned, Civil Rights in the USA 1945-1968? I've yet to hear of anyone else doing this course!! :eek3:
cocokoko
Oh my god, same! It's the most ridiculous thing ever, and pretty much means that Philosophy revision has decreased to nothing, but at my school they let us pick which one to do first, and I picked History cos I'm dropping Philosophy anyways...

I'm doing 1603-1642 Lead up to British Civil War on the 2nd which is gonna kill me and Life in Nazi Germany on the 8th which isn't so bad and I have no exams inbetween so just complete Nazi revision for moi, which I'm actually interested in so will hopefully bump my grades up?! I wish we could do coursework for this.

I'm finding revision hard...

I'm doing the British Civil War as well, but for my source paper not my essay paper. Life in Nazi Germany is easy :smile: I loved doing it for GCSE
i really need to start philosophy....
Reply 63
Can anyone by chance actually post up an example of a 12 mark question?

I've never really been taught the structure for it so I'm not sure how many points I need to put down ect.
Reply 64
WeasleyNumber10
It's awful! I think i'm gonna really stryggle to remember it all tbh... there's just so much!! One of the questions my teacher gave me which was from the exam board was Asquith's government's effect on health and housing?! that's a tiny bit of the whole thing... and it was for 24 marks?!... Insania!
How's your revision going?

Exactly!

I mean the detailed questions should be confined to a smaller period - the 24 markers should be broad and not so specific! I'm really going to struggle with this paper. :s-smilie:

I've covered a lot of it in overview knowledge but it's definitely not enough to write an essay on, or at least an essay which contains accurate information and not just utter rubbish!
Reply 65
i'm going to fail with flying colours.
jw127
You should be fine with just the armstrong book.

As I mentioned the only thing it's really lacking is Erasmus and the Humanists. I was revising from it earlier and surprisingly it covered the radical reformation quite well.

It also covers other figures such as Zwinglie to so you should be fine just sticking to it.

Any chance you have typed notes? Would love to exchange!
Reply 67
Darkest Knight
Any chance you have typed notes? Would love to exchange!

I can type up my humanism notes if you feel they might help.

I've not got to much written down but I've basically covered what Erasmus did, his works and why humanism ultimately failed.
jw127
I can type up my humanism notes if you feel they might help.

I've not got to much written down but I've basically covered what Erasmus did, his works and why humanism ultimately failed.

Only if you don't mind.. All mine are typed so I can send anything you like :smile:
History has not been revised neally enough.

Im edexcel Civil Rights/USA in Asia/British Raj in India
Is there noone on Conquest?!
Reply 71
im doing Henry VIII & Russian History. hopefully i do well :smile:
Reply 72
Darkest Knight
Only if you don't mind.. All mine are typed so I can send anything you like :smile:

Ok I've typed up the Humanism stuff.

You can see that I've not really focussed on the non Christian humanism (prior to Erasmus) seeming I don't think they're going to ask you any significant details on it. At most you probably need to know it as background info.

For the rest of them I basically tried to highlight to key functions Erasmus and the Humanists served. I've mainly focused on Erasmus as he's the only significant figure that any text books seem to mention. I'm pretty certain there are others though which I can look for later if you feel they might help.

in my opinion the exam will probably ask something along the lines of how humanism influenced the reformation. For that my notes should provide most of the info. Basically the work written by Erasmus, Greek new testament, call for reform from within ect.

Any way hope it helps.
jw127

You can see that I've not really focussed on the non Christian humanism (prior to Erasmus) seeming I don't think they're going to ask you any significant details on it. At most you probably need to know it as background info.

For the rest of them I basically tried to highlight to key functions Erasmus and the Humanists served. I've mainly focused on Erasmus as he's the only significant figure that any text books seem to mention. I'm pretty certain there are others though which I can look for later if you feel they might help.

in my opinion the exam will probably ask something along the lines of how humanism influenced the reformation. For that my notes should provide most of the info. Basically the work written by Erasmus, Greek new testament, call for reform from within ect.

Any way hope it helps.

Thank you so much.
jw127

Any way hope it helps.

Thank you so much.
Reply 75
Ok guys thought a few questions were in order for the reformation, each question was a 24 mark question.

The length of the questions will most likely be halfed or even more in the real test so pay no attention to the size or my poor writing skills. The main thing to get from this is interpretations, simply another view point on the subject thus allowing you to use them in similar questions in the real thing for bonus marks.

I think we should really band together before Tuesday like creating revision notes for each other and other funky stuff. Know it would help me preparing and reading other peoples notes and viewpoints.

Enjoy people.
Reply 76
BiGBaDBoO
Ok guys thought a few questions were in order for the reformation, each question was a 24 mark question.

The length of the questions will most likely be halfed or even more in the real test so pay no attention to the size or my poor writing skills. The main thing to get from this is interpretations, simply another view point on the subject thus allowing you to use them in similar questions in the real thing for bonus marks.

I think we should really band together before Tuesday like creating revision notes for each other and other funky stuff. Know it would help me preparing and reading other peoples notes and viewpoints.

Enjoy people.

Cheers for posting those notes up.

BTW would you say it's essential to know the catholic (counter) reformation? I know most of the other topics well and I know for the exam we get a choice of 2 questions out of 3 but I've simply not been taught enough about the catholic reformation in class. i don't see any way I can realistically get away with knowing it but Tuesday either.

You think I can get away with avoiding it as a topic?
Reply 77
I'm doing Britain 1906-51 and American Civil Rights

I don't know anything :frown:
Reply 78
My major worry is over the grade boundaries to be honest. For my mock, it was 42 for an A for the non-source paper and 48 or something like that for the source paper, which was the january boundaries.

How much are they likely to go up by for these exams? If they stay the same I'll be fine, I got 52 and 49 respectively and although I've revised a lot more for the real I'm terrified that the boundaries will be like 65 for an A or something ridiculous like that
Reply 79
d123
My major worry is over the grade boundaries to be honest. For my mock, it was 42 for an A for the non-source paper and 48 or something like that for the source paper, which was the january boundaries.

How much are they likely to go up by for these exams? If they stay the same I'll be fine, I got 52 and 49 respectively and although I've revised a lot more for the real I'm terrified that the boundaries will be like 65 for an A or something ridiculous like that

As far as I know not a lot.

My teacher sent of for the January exam papers which you can do once the exams are over and apparently the grades were all quite low.

Pretty sure the majority of people were getting D's and C's or something like that.

Latest