Did you go to the Open Day... Watch

Expectations
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
... for all your applications? Just wondering...
<(".")>
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Uhhh, yep

Most of my friends didn't thought, but it's a good idea to visit before you put it down.
Truered
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have to admit I didn't as I went to Kent and fell in love with the campus.

And as they had changed their entry requirements, all of the Uni's had the same requirements, so I decided to aim for Kent, or simply retry the next year. However going on the open day did help :yes:
kaytee.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yep, for every one apart from hertfordshire because I had no intention of going there and didn't have the money to travel there anyway :p:
Man The Bon Bons!!~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did I'm so excited about last year I wanted to see every aspect of my soon-to-be university. I'm kind of hoping they'll ask me to start before September...I wouldn't mind being a janitor or something...
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to all except one because I didn't like the look of it that much in the end.
huladancingmunchkin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep. It's definitely worth it!
JenniferRebecca
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, but I would have if I live in the UK!
I actually was on the Open Day of CSSD after I firmed it, lol. But it was good though, because I looked at it as a prospective student and not as an applicant - and I still love it.
The same for London itself - it actually makes a huge difference after you know you'll be living there for at least 3 years.
Montarnna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I only went to one (Newcastle), but had seen Manchester uni and Lancaster uni on our sixth form's uni trip, so didn't see the point
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I visited four of the five universities I applied to pre-app. [I visited a handful of others as well that I decided not to apply to.] After submitting my application, I revisited 3 of those 4 and went on an open day for the fifth.

I would never firm something without seeing it - it is too big a decision to make. But, maybe it is just me that feels like that.
Meekle72
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Went seeing Leeds twice after i had got my offer, but before i firmed it, to see the department and the accommodation. Went seeing Liverpool before i even did my UCAS, snd went to swansea for an interview. Didnt see Edinburgh or Nottingham, was gonna wait for the departmental open days, but they both rejected me
azhao
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nope, just Cambridge.
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I only visited Bristol on a proper Open Day, because I fell in love with it and picked my other four universities based on prestige and the logic that most people are happy wherever they end up. I went to UCL for interview, and that involved a tour, although a lot of the buildings I'd be taught in weren't built yet, so it wasn't that useful in terms of seeing facilities!
mistermeowingtons
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well my parents helped me out with choosing which Universities to put on my application, based upon what they had seen/heard about them. They had had to go around quite a few when my brother was applying.

I visited each University that gave me an offer, so I could make a proper choice about where to go.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to the open days for my first and third choices. I confirmed my insurance place on UCAS without seeing it, which was a huge mistake. I'd done a lot of research on the place and knew a lot about it but actually going there and listening to the tutors talk and getting a feel for the atmosphere made me realise that I didn't like it as much as I thought I would have. Luckily for me, I didn't end up going there (came very close though!)
MazalTov89
Badges: 9
Report 9 years ago
I went to all of them except for the one I'm at now.
JenniferRebecca
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by affinity89)
I would never firm something without seeing it - it is too big a decision to make. But, maybe it is just me that feels like that.
Well but the many international applicants - especially not from the EU - aren't able to afford visits to all their choices and offers. They may don't go to interviews either - distance interview though.

I think it's good too! But there are people who haven't seen their university and are still happy with it. It's worth the risk. :yep:
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JenniferRebecca)
Well but the many international applicants - especially not from the EU - aren't able to afford visits to all their choices and offers. They may don't go to interviews either - distance interview though.

I think it's good too! But there are people who haven't seen their university and are still happy with it. It's worth the risk. :yep:
I didn't suggest everyone should visit, just that I personally wouldn't be happy to make that decision without doing so.

It is difficult as an international student I know and some of the open days I went to were rather useless - I felt miffed traveling for 4 hours to get to them let alone traveling across continents lol.
victoire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to open days for 3 out of my 5 universities, and in retrospect I don't think I should have bothered applying to the other 2 because I had no intention of going to them even if they were the only offers I received.
I really recommend them though, it gives you a real feel of what life in the uni might be like and I found (at least with the unis I applied to) that I got much more specific information about course structure, content etc. than I could find online.
ipswichblade
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes plus 1 other that I was going to apply to but didn't after seeing it at the open day. I didn't want to end up somewhere I wasn't going to like for the next 3 years.
If you can afford to visit as many as possible...do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.47%
No - but I will (61)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (383)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed