The Student Room Group

Passing First Year Maths

Ok so I'm about to sit my final exams. We have 6 different modules, and so 6 different exams.
I'm pretty sure I've already passed 2 of these, or I will require a small amount of marks to pass them.
2 more I will need to revise harder for but I'm pretty confident I can achieve a pass.
The final two however I'm quite positive I will either fail both or pass one fail one. Will this be enough to get me through to second year?
I've scoured our uni website but as usual it's so difficult to find the right information.
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Depends on the University, but you can be pretty sure they won't throw you our in first year unless you fail spectacularly.
With us, there are core modules you have to pass, and compulsory modules that you don't have to pass but have to average out to a pass overall to pass
Reply 3
40% average to pass. Then there might be some variations on this based on uni.
In general I think 40% is a pass. Our system is technically you must get 40% on the exam in all core modules, but if your assignment work and overall year score are high enough then they may reconsider. In the case you get less than this then you have to resit in the summer. In the case you get less than 30% you are reccommended to change unis or not come back, however you are allowed to resit if you believe you can sort yourself out for 2nd year (the resit marks don't actually count for anything though, you keep your failing mark). So that should give you some idea.
I think if you only just pass this year, then halfway through next year, or in the third year you may have a pass degree scheme.
It really depends on the uni, and the modules. For me I have 11 exams, and I'm sure they won't mind if I get 0% in all the physics modules (although it'd be a bit of a waste...) whereas if I fail a core module then it's unlikely the 2nd year is going to make any sense. Are the exams you think you may fail particularly important modules for your course?

Latest