Watch
This discussion is closed.
|>|Imagine|<|
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey all,

I know drinking lots of water is really good for you in many ways, but does adding cordial really cause it to loose most of it's benefit?

Obviously I know cordial has sugar and other stuff, hence added calories - but will it effect stuff like toxin removal and skin hydration?
Advertisement
Renal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
'Toxin' removal and hydration aren't affected - water still gets digested as water, regardless of what you mix it with.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont tend to drink pure water, as i dont like the taste (i know before anyone says anything it dosent taste of anything)

Anyway, its still water, i dont think there is anything different other then the cordial part of course, it still acts as water.
arminvanpite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
I dont tend to drink pure water, as i dont like the taste (i know before anyone says anything it dosent taste of anything)
I'm the same! I can handle it if I'm doing sport or really thirsty and there's nothing else on offer, but otherwise, I really don't like it.

I was wondering this myself though, since the other day I told my friend that I was doing the 'Volvic 14 Day Challenge' (only not Volvic, just tap water and 1.5 litres a day) but putting in a little blackcurrent diluting juice for some flavour, and she said that doing that took away the benefits, etc. that I would otherwise get from drinking water straight.
watermelon sugar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no it's fine.
adding a little squash doesn't change the fact that you're drinking water. it's like drinking a glass of water and eating a skittle. squash is just sugar, you don't drink another glasss of water for every skittle you eat.
have the natural stuff if you're really bothered.
Advertisement
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bloodredbeat)
I was wondering this myself though, since the other day I told my friend that I was doing the 'Volvic 14 Day Challenge' (only not Volvic, just tap water and 1.5 litres a day) but putting in a little blackcurrent diluting juice for some flavour, and she said that doing that took away the benefits, etc. that I would otherwise get from drinking water straight.
Your 'friend' is ignorant.
arminvanpite
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Your 'friend' is ignorant.
I think that post was a little unnecessary.
Advertisement
yoshifumu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well considering wateris used in a lot of metabolic processes and the such, it'll take away some benefits usually, i'm not 100% sure of the contents of cordial, but still, the likeliness is that it'll use up some water for you to process it anyway, so although you'll still be taking in a lot of water, some of it (maybe a tiny percentage i don't know) will be used up.
Insanespana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Water is still water no matter what you mix with it. There's water in coffee, etc, and tbh coffee isn't that bad for you it's only things like caffine which a supposedly not so good.

All cordial and squash do is add sugar to it. Or sweetners. Depending on what you care about, sometimes cordial without sugar or without sweetners is better. Too many artifical sweeteners can muck up your disgestive system (well irritate it) but on the other hand they have less calories and are less likely to rot your teeth.
Advertisement
Rich L
Report 11 years ago
Possibly the issue with adding cordial to water is that of lowering the water potential of the liquid, which will lower the rate at which your body absorbs the water by osmosis. This might affect how effective the drink is at hydrating, as you would get water into your system more slowly, as well as maybe lowering the maximum water saturation in your blood that you can achieve with the given liquid.

(yay biology)
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yoshifumu)
Well considering wateris used in a lot of metabolic processes and the such, it'll take away some benefits usually, i'm not 100% sure of the contents of cordial, but still, the likeliness is that it'll use up some water for you to process it anyway, so although you'll still be taking in a lot of water, some of it (maybe a tiny percentage i don't know) will be used up.
It's been a bloody long time since I learnt any metabolism, even longer since I ever had to use that knowledge, but doesn't metabolism produce more water than it uses?
Advertisement
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Insanespana)
Water is still water no matter what you mix with it. There's water in coffee, etc, and tbh coffee isn't that bad for you it's only things like caffine which a supposedly not so good.
In terms of this sort of thing, it's the diuretic effect of caffeine that's the problem.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Water definitely > cordial. Speaking of which, I'm still thirsty .
Advertisement
yoshifumu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
It's been a bloody long time since I learnt any metabolism, even longer since I ever had to use that knowledge, but doesn't metabolism produce more water than it uses?
Energy production produces water. if your doing it aerobically. other metabolic reactions i don't know very well so can't comment.

But if you take in something like a dehydrating agent, like salt, then you will need more water simply because the salt will take up more water to dissolve and be held in solution till you can pass it out.

And a lot of water is used in digestion, when breaking down complex carbs, the majority of mechanisms used to break down carbs and proteins use water, like hydrolysis (translates to breaking with water).
qwerty27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes you can drink squash instead of water and you will still be hydrated. But totally replacing water with squash in your diet just makes your liver work harder to seperate all the ingredients. Your body needs as much pure water as it can get, and drinking water on it's own makes the whole process much quicker.
Selkarn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
After years of drinking pure water you become completely accustomed to the taste. I've even got to the point where 2l bottles of still table water are average tasting, and tap water tastes like fruity delight (ok, not quite, but it's definitely a lot nicer than bottled).
Demi Leigh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I originally didn't think about cordial being good for us. I mean I new that is was sort of because if the fruits, but not entirely!
Advertisement
Michellemmc
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Water does taste diffrent at diffrent places, a can't drink it on its own from my home, but at my work a can no bother, or if it's from fridge.
ketokid
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I find it super hard to drink water - especially since our water filter in our fridge broke. All we have is the unfiltered tap which, where I live, is full of chlorine and other chemicals. It’s obviously not ideal to drink this but I use it with my cordial. The cordial makes it taste much better and really encourages me to drink enough. In fact, I’m drinking more than 2L now (I have a 2L bottle but I refill it once or twice a day, depending on how much I started with in the morning). I recommend getting a sugar-free or low-sugar cordial which is what I get because I’m on keto.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12%
Virtual campus tours/open days (134)
24.36%
Live streaming events (47)
8.55%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.45%
A uni comparison tool (129)
23.45%
An in-person event when available (122)
22.18%