ID - a certified copy??? What the HECK :( Watch

Dynamitri
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

I wanted to send out my application tomorrow in the morning, first class and all that bonus so that it arrives on Friday. Unfortunately, I haven't realized that the copy of an ID needs to be certified :mad:

Now - I am not gonna send them my passport, that's for sure, but I don't have anyone that could actually certify that for me :confused:
I'm a non-UK citizen, haven't been in the UK for long yet, and the form says that the copy should be stamped by someone - I don't know anyone who could do this for me here. Does anyone know how strict they are when it comes down to the signatures and stamps on the ID copies? What if I'm gonna just send a copy of the document without any stamp on it whatsoever?

Bottom end, I might just send them my national ID, as I don't need it here, and will not be coming back to my country any time soonish - but does anyone know whether they do return the documents, and if so - when? :confused:

Many thanks,

Dynamitri
Taiko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can have this done by a course tutor at your college for example, provided they photocopy all pages of your passport, put the college stamp on each page and list who they are, their work address and telephone number so they can be contacted.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
(Original post by Taiko)
You can have this done by a course tutor at your college for example, provided they photocopy all pages of your passport, put the college stamp on each page and list who they are, their work address and telephone number so they can be contacted.
Thanks for your message. The problem - as detailed in the other thread - is, that I have not been in a college here, in the UK. Came here 2 years ago for uni, had it stamped by my former English teacher back then (don't have his contact details anymore, so...), dropped out a year ago, and then reapplied again. StudentFinance told me that I need to fill an application form for the new students, if I'm changing the uni and going for a completely different course.

My former uni is too far away for me to travel, I can't afford it (financially and in terms of time). Guess I'll have to provide them with the original national ID, then...
thug05
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
cant the post office ceritfy who you are? they do it with passports when you send of for your provisional ?
flipshot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thug05)
cant the post office ceritfy who you are? they do it with passports when you send of for your provisional ?
They don't certify who you are. They just check your application to make sure it all has been completed correctly. Someone else still has to certify any documents.
graphixx
Report 9 years ago
You need it certified,
signed and printed...

It has to be traceable photographic ID containing your details and address, passport tends to be the best option, can you not photocopy it?

has to be signed by someone british in a 'trustworthy' profession, so anyone who practices law... a doctor, teacher, police.... you could just go into your local police or medical centre and just ask there if they would certify it for you
forsaken_earth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go to the police
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
(Original post by forsaken_earth)
Go to the police
Might do it, thanks - haven't thought about that. If not, I'm gonna send them my national ID. Thanks all for your replies.
Sun!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What country is youre national ID
Is it in English
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sun!)
What country is youre national ID
Is it in English
it's in my native language and in English
Sun!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You dont really want to lose that either, if its an offical ID.

I would just send youre passoprt special delivery if you dont need it back any time soon. I sent it to my LEA first class and had it back two days later.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sun!)
You dont really want to lose that either, if its an offical ID.

I would just send youre passoprt special delivery if you dont need it back any time soon. I sent it to my LEA first class and had it back two days later.
Nah, no way I'm sending out my passport as my passport is my official (and pretty much fundamental and only) form of ID here, whereas my national, Polish ID, is not valid here anyhow - I can't use it while dealing with banks or at whatever occasion that might require me to provide a proof of identity, it's very, very rarely accepted, so I don't need it.

To be honest, I haven't had my national ID on me for well over a year or so, just stopped carrying it, even when I came back to my country last December I haven't had it, and there was no drama. So I'm just gonna give them my National ID, special delivery, and let them return it at their own leisure.
Taiko
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just a note, I've always accepted National ID cards for Polish students. Not sure if SFE are going to operate differently, but that's been the case where I am working.
Dynamitri
Rep:
?
(Original post by Taiko)
Just a note, I've always accepted National ID cards for Polish students. Not sure if SFE are going to operate differently, but that's been the case where I am working.
Where do you work, then?
roubiliac
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If sending through the post be warned that SFE are currently having asll mail redirected to Glasgow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.59%
No - but I will (35)
6.57%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (251)
47.09%

Watched Threads