The Student Room Group
Reply 1
That's quite a difficult thing to find for that price. The dress you've pictured above is actually a bargain in my opinion.

Your best bet is probs the internet, rather than trawling around loads of shops. Or going to an actual prom dress shop and trying some on there, and hiring the dress for the day rather than buy it.

Found some below:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Serena-Empire-Straps--Floor-length-Gossip-Girl-Season-2---Bridesmaids---Evening-Dresses--FSH0095-_p51965.html

http://www.lightinthebox.com/A-line-Spaghetti-Straps-Satiny-Evening-Dress---Prom-Dress--HSX756-_p29154.html

Also try oli.co.uk, i know my friends got some from there at our prom last year. Good luck!
Reply 2
Anatheme
Thanks for your post :smile:
I thought of renting, but I have some problems:
- I'm in Manchester and the ball's in Cambridge. Thing is I need to get the dress before I go there, and I'm spending 5 days in Cam, so I'd have to pay for 5 days despite using the dress one time only? How expensive could it be anyway?
- The ball is outside, which means that which everyone walking, there's gonna be mud, and I'll have to pay to get the dress cleaning, I guess.
- Also, I'm a bit afraid that the bottom is gonna be a bit destroyed and I'd have to pay even more for that
- Finally, I can't make any alterations on a rented dress.

I'm deffo gonna try to get some more money to get that dress I posted, as for £130 you can get the colour you want and the alteration you want as well for free, so it's indeed a really good deal, but before I make a choice, I'm trying to see if I can find something better. The first dress you linked is absolutely fantastic, though, I can totally see myself wearing that!

That's annoying about the ball being so far away. But maybe look into the renting thing anyway - they surely don't expect you to just pick up the dress on the day and return it on the next. That would be so unreasonable! As for cleaning, you'll probably have to pay for cleaning anyway, regardless of mud, but that's true of a rented dress or one you buy yourself.

Yeah, the dress you're looking at is actually BEAUTIFUL! Definitely try and make more money and buy it - maybe sell some of your old stuff? And remember you could always rent out/ sell that dress once you've worn it and make money back on it that way.

The first blue dress is actualy gorgeous. US though so you need to pay for shipping and exchange rate not good so might work out more expensive in the end. Just keep looking around for now and saving up money just in case. Hope you find one!
Reply 3
You can find nice dresses that suits for you in Designer clothes online.
Reply 4

Hi im selling a floor length dress if your interested the only thing is that it's pink but it really is beautiful im selling it for £100. let me know if your interested :smile:
Im selling it on ebay at the moment this is the link for it ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautiful-Pink-Designer-Prom-Dress_W0QQitemZ270394279040QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWomen_s_Clothing?hash=item3ef4c14480&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Reply 5
Could you make something similar yourself? It doesn't look massively complicated if you or someone you know has a bit of needle knowhow about them

Or try tk maxx they often have ball gowns in but you have to try everything on.

Or - coast sale, they have a similar shape in a coffee type colour in my local one, and a black one i love (not in my size sob)
Reply 6
A bit cheaper than £130, but still over your budget:

None of them seem quite right anyway. Have you found one yet? Do you trust eBay?

Latest