The Student Room Group

Do asians all stick together at uni?

Im from a very white area of Britain, my whole secondary school has about 3 black people, 3 chinese and about 2 asians. When ive gone to my interviews this year ive noticed that when all the candidates get to talk to eachother all the asians just kinda sought each other out and stayed like that. I thought it was really weird and actually annoyed me quite a lot. Does this happen a lot at uni, coming from someone who has never lived in any sort of a culturally diverse area?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2009er
Im from a very white area of Britain, my whole secondary school has about 3 black people, 3 chinese and about 2 asians. When ive gone to my interviews this year ive noticed that when all the candidates get to talk to eachother all the asians just kinda sought each other out and stayed like that. I thought it was really weird and actually annoyed me quite a lot. Does this happen a lot at uni, coming from someone who has never lived in any sort of a culturally diverse area?

I'm from Aberdeen so i get you lol. Although it has changed a lot in the past 17years. I'm not seteotyping but the really brainy asians tend to stick with their own ethnic group, but not all. The whole asians sticking together thing is annoying. Totally upto you though. You mix with whoever you want to.
Reply 2
LSE, Kings, Imperial, UCL et al have craploads of Chinese people flocking together. I don't know about the rest.
They need to integrate, fo' sho'.
However, don't let it phase you. Fight the power boy.
Reply 4
missyq
I'm from Aberdeen so i get you lol. Although it has changed a lot in the past 17years. I'm not seteotyping but the really brainy asians tend to stick with their own ethnic group, but not all. The whole asians sticking together thing is annoying. Totally upto you though. You mix with whoever you want to.

i just felt like saying oi! and forcibly introducing myself. Ive been pretty ignorant of any racism in my live so i didnt know people actually did this sort of stuff, i just cant understand it lol.
how many tamils at ucl?

thnx
Reply 6
I think that's nonsense, the asians do not stick together. The muslims stick together, the hindis stick together, the tamils stick together and the normal, well-adjusted people stick together.
Mask Of Sanity
They need to integrate, fo' sho'.
However, don't let it phase you. Fight the power boy.

bby :wink:
Out of our group of say 10 friends at uni 4 are asian. Yes in general they do seek out each other but on the other hand we are all friends aswell
Reply 9
Yep.. at bristol you will see many
Reply 10
2009er

They do. And they don't make an effort to intergrate. I was brought up in a white and predominantly have white friend,and I am asian and at uni I mostly go with white folks and yet I do ridiculed by asians for it.
Reply 11
In my experience, yes, certain ethnic groups did tend to stick together. Seems a bit silly to me.
Reply 12
Yes. I'm asian and I stick around asian friends.

That's not to say that I've only got asian friends.
I wish I met more Chinese people. It gets boring hanging with white people all day.
Reply 14
4G_dollars
They do. And they don't make an effort to intergrate. I was brought up in a white and predominantly have white friend,and I am asian and at uni I mostly go with white folks and yet I do ridiculed by asians for it.

see that sort of thing just pisses me off. and im trying to not sound daily mail here but if white people did that they'd be in SERIOUS trouble.:mad:
Reply 15
Renal
I think that's nonsense, the asians do not stick together. The muslims stick together, the hindis stick together, the tamils stick together and the normal, well-adjusted people stick together.

pointless...
Reply 16
2009er
i just felt like saying oi! and forcibly introducing myself. Ive been pretty ignorant of any racism in my live so i didnt know people actually did this sort of stuff, i just cant understand it lol.

Yeah, i grew up in an all white area of town. Things have changed since the 90s lol. But i was a bit shocked too when i found many asians sticking to the same group. It must be because they think they can be familiar with one another without having to make too much of an effort or think that they are on the same wavelength. Thing that bugs me though is that they don't even make the effort to mix with others! Again, not speaking for all, but many do. Also depends which trpe of asian. Orientals tend to be really brainy and just mix with all brainy people lol, on the contrary to south east asians...
Reply 17
L i b
In my experience, yes, certain ethnic groups did tend to stick together. Seems a bit silly to me.

Not really. It makes perfect sense that people will seek out those who share similar beliefs and cultures, and finding a fellow asian can be a fast method of bonding.

You'll find that if a BBC were to go to China/HK. They are more likely to befriend a english speaking native than the rest of the society. It's all about identity.
4G_dollars

Are you referred to as a coconuthead, per chance?

Do you know what a w*ki is?

squish.
I'm asian, and when I go to Uni, I'm finding me some Chinese people and getting them to say "£34.50"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending