The Student Room Group
University of York
York

department rankings

I'm just finishing my BSc in maths here and today I received an offer from UCL, which was my first choice for postgraduate study. Naturally, I was elated. Somebody said something and it quite upset me, actually. Effectively she implied that my department was sub-par and that it would be easier to get into a place like Cambridge, say, for the respective postgraduate course from a different department. Obviously, she obviously has some problems with etiquette and I guess I was easily shaken being in such a high emotional state. But do people really think like this here? Do you actively snub others because the average entry points in your department are 20 UCAS points higher, or because your department's research is one band higher, on average? Honestly, what do you guys think?:confused:
Reply 1
Honestly, I don't see what you've got to complain about. York's got a very good maths department, and there's plenty of research going into it as well. It's true that some departments at the uni are more well-respected than others, but, to be honest, who cares?
University of York
York
Reply 2
I've certainly never heard of it, just the traditional arts vs. science/engineering stuff

Latest

Trending

Trending