Drinking Watch

sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm starting University this year and I've got one slight (perhaps major problem) - I don't like alcohol and I've hardly drunk any since I turned 18. How much of a problem is this? Can I get round it, or do I have to learn to like it before I go?
HEJ92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't HAVE to drink. Although malibu and lemonade does taste yummy
Roobsa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Drinking isn't an essential part of uni life, although I found there to be quite a lot of social pressure to go out and get drunk a lot (especially as I was on the rugby team). WKD/single spirit and a mixer you might like, start with them, but basically don't feel pressured to drink.
sil3nt_cha0s
Rep:
?
(Original post by HEJ92)
You don't HAVE to drink. Although malibu and lemonade does taste yummy
I know I don't HAVE to do anything, but not doing some things would make your life pretty bad. Not drinking at university I can imagine is one of these things.

I mean, I went to a few Open Days and once the main bit of the day was over, and we went to the student bar to have a drink, I was the only one there not drinking. I felt like a right idiot.
Terry Acky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you dont have to drink when your at chess club, in fact they frown upon it. kidding, nah you dont have to drink, theres a lot of non drinkers.
Ladipidoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
I know I don't HAVE to do anything, but not doing some things would make your life pretty bad. Not drinking at university I can imagine is one of these things.

I mean, I went to a few Open Days and once the main bit of the day was over, and we went to the student bar to have a drink, I was the only one there not drinking. I felt like a right idiot.
You'll eventually get the hang of it. Once you start drinking regularly, it won't seem so bad.
sil3nt_cha0s
Rep:
?
(Original post by Terry Acky)
you dont have to drink when your at chess club, in fact they frown upon it. kidding, nah you dont have to drink, theres a lot of non drinkers.
please, i'm not looking to be made fun of - I just want some advice and to hear some experiences of people who were/are in my situation.
kinglrb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am not going to be drinking or clubbing either at university. It'll probably be a bit of a challenge trying to become friends with people when your idea of a friday night will be completely different but no everyone thats been to uni drinks and goes clubbing.
HEJ92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You shouldn't feel like an idiot at all. My best friend doesn't drink and she has just as much fun as us who do
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In order to cope you will need:

Funnel x 1
Nosepeg x 1
Bottle of Tequila x 1

Sorted.
dob86
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's alright, you can not drink, no1 will think less of you.

Do what I did, and get a job BEHIND the bar. Then you get all the social stuff, no alcohol and lots of money.
sil3nt_cha0s
Rep:
?
(Original post by HEJ92)
You shouldn't feel like an idiot at all. My best friend doesn't drink and she has just as much fun as us who do
I already get a lot of pressure at school for not drinking. It seems everyone is just the same now - their idea of having fun is with alcohol. I get really annoyed because I don't want to go along with the crowd.
Silver_Fox
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what do you want people to say?

It's not a big deal not to drink. you're making it into a big problem when you've got nothing to worry about. Either start experimenting with different drinks and find something you like or don't drink. It's that simple. Also - if you aren't a big drinker you won't need much to get drunk - down two glasses of wine and I bet you get really drunk lol. If anyone at uni dislikes you or makes fun of you because you don't drink then their idiots and I don't know why you'd want to hang around them anyway lol
Terry Acky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
please, i'm not looking to be made fun of - I just want some advice and to hear some experiences of people who were/are in my situation.
ye the last bit of my sentence said, you dont neeed to be a drinker, there are many non drinkers. i'm not a big drinker myself, but you can still go out with the drinkers and have fun.
sil3nt_cha0s
Rep:
?
(Original post by kinglrb)
I am not going to be drinking or clubbing either at university. It'll probably be a bit of a challenge trying to become friends with people when your idea of a friday night will be completely different but no everyone thats been to uni drinks and goes clubbing.
Yeah, and I'll be lucky if I can find people who don't like alcohol. My brother ironically found people who didn't like drink by going to a club and hanging around with the people in the corner who weren't dancing or drinking. That was way back in 2003 though.
N00bsicle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I already get a lot of pressure at school for not drinking. It seems everyone is just the same now - their idea of having fun is with alcohol. I get really annoyed because I don't want to go along with the crowd.
It depends tbh. Alcohol is a great social lubricant. Obviously you dont want to be continually of your rocker, but it definitely puts peoples minds to rest if you have a drink or so.

I know for a fact I would definitely be self conscious/aware of the fact that a member of the group wasn't drinking.

Dosent have to be much, feign a condition if you have to.

Who knows, you might even start to like it
Sam...
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At the end of the day alcohol's just another drink. If you don't like chicken no-one's gonna make you eat it.. if you don't like alcohol no-one's gonna make you drink it.

Eat what you like, drink what you like, do what you like.
sil3nt_cha0s
Rep:
?
Ok, I'm going to bed, but any more advice is much appreciated!
Christian_j
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do what some of my friends do - buy a coke, say it's a vodka and coke. sorted.

Seriously, though, if you move in the right friend circles, it will never be a problem.
Hexasol
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If people take the piss out of you or whatever for not drinking then do you really want to be friends with them?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise