The Student Room Group

grandma is acting horrible today

This may sound a silly topic, but shes really hurt my feelings this morning. Im a guy btw just to start. Is it common for a grandma to really say something nasty about your weight etc when you know you're fine? Such as 'your're looking very very very thin today'. When i know i actually look normal. How can i look extremely thin one day or not the next? Do the elderly actually forget their manners sometimes? Please tell me its a symtpom of old age, and im not actually extrmeley thin and shes an evil cow

Scroll to see replies

Old people are unconfined by social niceties and tact, and generally say what they think when they think it.
Reply 2
Yeah, old people tend to just say what they think right off. My grandma is the same. You just have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that they've grown up in a different time...I don't know.
haha my nan used to say the same. Im not even that thin and i remember her saying something like anorexia is a disease you know...
nice!
Reply 4
Lol, it sounds just like my grandma! Thing is, they usually don't really think before they speak and if they do, they don't realise how what they're saying could be interpreted :p:
Reply 5
:troll2: hmmm?

thats not that horrible, she might be just trying to be caring and worried that u are not eating enough food.
Reply 6
diabloxxx
This may sound a silly topic, but shes really hurt my feelings this morning. Im a guy btw just to start. Is it common for a grandma to really say something nasty about your weight etc when you know you're fine? Such as 'your're looking very very very thin today'. When i know i actually look normal. How can i look extremely thin one day or not the next? Do the elderly actually forget their manners sometimes? Please tell me its a symtpom of old age, and im not actually extrmeley thin and shes an evil cow

erm..we dont know what you look like
but grandmas have a way with words..take no notice unless your bones are poking out of your skin :yep:
Reply 7
man the **** up
Every time she insults you just refuse to take her to the toilet, she'll soon learn.
Reply 9
My grandfather used to be like that, I miss him :frown:

My grandmother on the other hand, she's never said a bad word about anyone bless her.
Tufts
man the **** up

You just got Rep'd
Reply 11
pretend to go deaf...it always works
Reply 12
Haha my Grandma says the same thing, well, she doesn't say "very, very, very". I take it as a compliment, isn't being thin a good thing? Perhaps try to be less insecure about your body image, unless she was saying it in a snarling way it wasn't a mean/rude thing to say at all.
Reply 13
Gosh you think that's mean? You haven't met my wealthy grandad who has never even sent me a birthday card in his life!
BE NICE!

She might die at any point, and she's paid her taxes and lived for a long time, she deserves to not have to be polite :smile: I hope I can be like her one day:smile:
Reply 15
"It takes 42 muscles to show a frown but just 4 muscles to bitch slap that mofo."
I can't believe how mean you are.
Reply 17
older people tend not to think before they say certain things, don't take it too seriously :-)
Reply 18
My Nan was just the same, OP. She would also make loud personal comments about perfect strangers too......much to the embarrassment of my Auntie :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Be nice:grin:
:tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending