Turn on thread page Beta

should working class people go to private school? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If they want to why not? But what's the point in paying for something when you can get it for free and its equally as good if not better. I have equally as well as my friends who go to private school and sometimes better. Also i feel i have better social skills than them as i have mixed with ppl from different backgrounds. Obviously the sport is so much better at private schools, you get more choice and more time to do it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    Yes why not. Many working class people are clever so should be allowed into private school like Eton.
    What rot!! to say that going to Eton has anything to do with being clever. If a working class family made money and put a kid into Eton, it's not for educational reasons, or to nourish their intellect, its class aspiration, simple as that. God knows why they would wan't to enter that social circle coming from a working class background though

ReputationRep:
    tell me why does Eton do so well
    Are you studying Archaeology or something?

ReputationRep:
    Working class are different to me. I don't know any working class but would like to meet some. From places up north
    No offence but I think you'd get beaten up with that attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca_18star)
    No offence but I think you'd get beaten up with that attitude.
    LMAO! i'd love to meet some of those funny working class people, do they still live in hovels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    If I was prime minister tax would be 100%
    And you'd last about 23 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    He obviously isn't being taxed enough, then..
    wow that's mature. although judging your intelligence by the stupidity and childishness of your argument, i doubt you will find yourself in position to ever be earning enough to pay top rate tax. although with this government, you never know. :rolleyes:

Do you think it's right that you get thousands spent on your education whilst others go to schools that can hardly afford computers?.
    yes, i do. my going to a school where my education costs thousands of pounds and the funding of state schools in this country are two seperate issues. you might be interested to know, that on average the government spends the same amount on education per head, that private schools do, so i am not actually having that much more spent on my education.

I went to a private school, and then asked to leave.
    wow. i go to a private school, and i am intelligent enough to realise how lucky i am, so i stayed.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. But abolish them all. Make more state schools, so class sizes are still small, and put lots of fnding towards good facilities.

If I was prime minister tax would be 100%
    perhaps somewhere like cuba or china would be more to your liking. there everyone is equal

out of interest, are you a communist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    wow that's mature. although judging your intelligence by the stupidity and childishness of your argument, i doubt you will find yourself in position to ever be earning enough to pay top rate tax. although with this government, you never know. :rolleyes:

yes, i do. my going to a school where my education costs thousands of pounds and the funding of state schools in this country are two seperate issues. you might be interested to know, that on average the government spends the same amount on education per head, that private schools do, so i am not actually having that much more spent on my education.
    wow. i go to a private school, and i am intelligent enough to realise how lucky i am, so i stayed.
    1)Attention!! It is utter CRAP to suggest the government can afford to/or do pay anywhere near the same per head on state education as the money that is invested in independent education. I've no idea where you got that from.

2)How dare you insult his intelligence just because he doesn't share your view of how is the best way to conduct one's life, and what he believes in?. That makes you the stupid one, for the record.

3)You assume everybody who "pays top-rate tax" is incredibly intelligent. Wrong as i've said before how many people in business earning fortunes have no academic ability whatsoever, how many dullards go on into Daddy's firm of solicitors? Many extremly able people go into academic life and low pay.

To summarise, all your attitudes, and also the way you present them, show you to be an very conventional brainwashed private school product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    to be fair though, private schools arent for everyone. i go to a grammar school which isnt the same i know, but i imagine the intensity of work could be similar, and i wish id left, but people pressurised me to stay and it really really sucks.. there's too much competition, *****iness, and intense focus on getting good grades and nothing else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    1)Attention!! It is utter CRAP to suggest the government can afford to/or do pay anywhere near the same per head on state education as the money that is invested in independent education. I've no idea where you got that from.

2)How dare you insult his intelligence just because he doesn't share your view of how is the best way to conduct one's life, and what he believes in?. That makes you the stupid one, for the record.

3)You assume everybody who "pays top-rate tax" is incredibly intelligent. Wrong as i've said before how many people in business earning fortunes have no academic ability whatsoever, how many dullards go on into Daddy's firm of solicitors? Many extremly able people go into academic life and low pay.

To summarise, all your attitudes, and also the way you present them, show you to be an very conventional brainwashed private school product.
    your attitudes show you to be a very bitter sounding person with a huge chip on your shoulder, as shown by your phrase 'daddy's firm of solicitors'.

ok, so private schools are unfair. well, some state schools are far better yhan others. lets ban those, because they have an advantage over inner city sink schools. why not ban all schools with a decent GCSE pass rate - then everyone can have a disadvantaged education.

why not go to successful private schools and state schools, and find out whatever it is they do, and apply it to the state system! its not all to do with money, as time and time again, this government has proved: money does not neccessarily lead to large improvements.

and i applogise for insulting tis_me_lord's intelligence. i just get so frustrated with people with that opinion, holding private schools responsible for the decline of the nation's education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    your attitudes show you to be a very bitter sounding person with a huge chip on your shoulder, as shown by your phrase 'daddy's firm of solicitors'.

Naive sincerity:::
    I won't even ask what the chip on my shoulder is, i've heard that insult bandied about by public school members to others at Uni so many times. As i say, its a predictable,tedious and conventional attitude.
    My arguments were political on the points you made about government spending, which were completely true. for the record, as for being the conventional private school product, you havent really done yourself any favours witht the old "chip on your shoulder" argument. Do you realise how many people from state schools are just ****ing sick to death of hearing that? There is no chip, we just want to live our lifes, without having it rammed down our throats what the right way to live is, and how if you don't have money you are insignificant, or if you do have money then you are stupid for not attending public school. Maybe i did not scrutinise what you wrote carefully enough, but it sounded like the usual crap, so i naturally react after having heard it so many times.

Ant::
    ok, so private schools are unfair. well, some state schools are far better yhan others. lets ban those, because they have an advantage over inner city sink schools. why not ban all schools with a decent GCSE pass rate - then everyone can have a disadvantaged education.

why not go to successful private schools and state schools, and find out whatever it is they do, and apply it to the state system! its not all to do with money, as time and time again, this government has proved: money does not neccessarily lead to large improvements.

and i applogise for insulting tis_me_lord's intelligence. i just get so frustrated with people with that opinion, holding private schools responsible for the decline of the nation's education system.

NaiveSincerity::
    I don't care about these points, that was not what i was reffering to

ReputationRep:
    You assume everybody who "pays top-rate tax" is incredibly intelligent. ... To summarise, all your attitudes, and also the way you present them, show you to be an very conventional brainwashed private school product.
    It's surely hypocritical to critise someone for making generalisations, and then generalise about private schools pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    It's surely hypocritical to critise someone for making generalisations, and then generalise about private schools pupils.
    I didn't say i was against what i see as a justified genaralisation based on experience, her one, i thought was nonsense..its just a difference in opinion

ReputationRep:
    NaiveSincerity::
    I don't care about these points, that was not what i was reffering to
    ah, so it's less about improving education for the masses (which is what the last paragraph in particular was aimed at), and more about point scoring against the 'arrogant toffs' who, despite paying the majority of the countries taxes (intelligent or not), are denegrating our countries education system? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say i was against what i see as a justified genaralisation based on experience, her one, i thought was nonsense..its just a difference in opinion
    How exactly do you have extensive enough knwoledge of private school pupils or the system which they go through to make that sort of "justified generalisation"?

The fact is that you mos tprobably didnt go to such a school and as such have NO experience of what they are like ... and as SUCH have no basis on which to make these comments ... I think if you look deep inside youll realise that your comments are based on outdated and envy filled stereotypes.

People who go to private school arent "brainwashed" its simply idiotic to claim that they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
    How exactly do you have extensive enough knwoledge of private school pupils or the system which they go through to make that sort of "justified generalisation"?

The fact is that you mos tprobably didnt go to such a school and as such have NO experience of what they are like ... and as SUCH have no basis on which to make these comments ... I think if you look deep inside youll realise that your comments are based on outdated and envy filled stereotypes.

People who go to private school arent "brainwashed" its simply idiotic to claim that they are.
    Obviously any thoughtful person will not be brainwashed, regardless of situation. and i don't claim that they all are(or i should be more careful with language if that was implied), and there are friends i've known and of my parents, who attended private school and are certainly not. Nevertheless, there is a huge sector of private people who seem to share a pretty obnoxious set of values. Whether private school simply attracts these people in the first place, or whether some people are moulded into this by their experience in private school is debatable. I noticed your last phrase and it just confirmed the generalisation i made- i respected your argument entirely about no direct experience, and even outdated stereotypes...yet you come to prove my point again with your phrase about envy. This is what i refer to when i talk about a conventional rhetoric and attitude that public/private school seems to instill in SOME people based on my experience (and i go to a univeristy full of them, so i do have it) Of course it is extremly offensive to be told about what i, and worse my family(who you personally insult with that statement) "envy", or believe in. Although its vulgar to talk about money, my Dad earns £70-75 grand a year, and i'd guess thats enough to send someone to a minor public school. This assumption that everybody who could have your experience wants to have your experience is a typically obnoxious attitude, but its part of what people are buying into in my view. And the fact people have paid so much for this service, means they don't want to get nothing in return. But i simply don't believe the reasons are purely educational. Yes the education and grades will be better, but if that was all, would people pay that much?. Its people trying to buy into social circles, and a sense of superiority .....

NB i group together private/public i don't know the difference, if there is one

ReputationRep:
    I don't claim that they all are, and there are friends i've known and of my parents, who are not. Nevertheless, there is a huge sector of people who seem to share a pretty obnoxious set of values.
    Name these obnoxious values? I went to public school and know people from countless others – and to be honest – there is no discernably higher propensity for being obnoxious than those who haven’t.

What basis do you have for making this claim?

I noticed your last phrase and it just confirmed the generalisation i made-

...yet you come to prove my point again with your last phrase about envy. This is what i refer to when i talk about a conventional rhetoric and attitude that public/private school seems to instill in SOME people based on my experience (and i go to a univeristy full of them, so i do have it)
    The FACT of the matter is that (in a way quite rightly) there is a covetous air to people that complain about the “superior education” that people get at private school. It’s a natural logical and perfectly understandable thing… there’s nothing wrong with envying those who are given greater opportunity than yourself simply through an accident of birth. What other term would you employ? Resentment?

Of course it is extremly offensive to be told about what i, and worse my family(who you personally insult with that statement) "envy", or believe in. Although its vulgar to talk about money, my Dad earns £70-75 grand a year, and i'd guess thats enough to send someone to a minor public school. This assumption that everybody who could have you experience wants to be have your experience is a typically obnoxious attitude, but its part of what people are buying into in my view. And the fact people have paid so much for this service, means they don't want to get nothing in return. But i simply don't believe the reasons are purely educational. Yes the education and grades will be better, but if that was all, would people pay that much?. Its people trying to buy into social circles, and a sense of superiority .....
    You have NO … I repeat ABSOLUTELY no concept of what you are talking about … and if you are offended I could care less. Your completely off hand, unfounded comments are simply not based in any sort of experience or knowledge you have been able to glean. The fact of the matter is that people send their children to public schools for the education and the general environment which they see as conducive an enjoyable and well rounded childhood. To say that people do it to enter certain social circles may apply to one or two people (though I have never ever met any of them), but it is by no means widespread enough to justify your ludicrous comment.

I’m glad you latched on to ONE word in my post – but like I say the gist of it was – you make generalisations and accusations about “brainwashing” without any evidence or experience …

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    ah, so it's less about improving education for the masses (which is what the last paragraph in particular was aimed at), and more about point scoring against the 'arrogant toffs' who, despite paying the majority of the countries taxes (intelligent or not), are denegrating our countries education system? :rolleyes:
    oh no, i think actually, you are the one who's point scoring. Anyone can see i referred to the point about government spending per head on education,being nowhere near what you claimed it was, ie the same or than for private education...I don't know why i have to repeat this

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would send my children to private school if the local grammer wasnt up to scratch. Education is the most important thing your child can get.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.