should working class people go to private school? Watch

This discussion is closed.
LawQueen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah they'res nothing wrong with them-I know loads (I left St.Marys after Gcses to go to local 6th form-parents said I needed culturing) and I love them alllllllllll! They're doing just as well and better than me at college-see nobody tends to care where you went. I think you get the few jealous ones who get mad because they didn't get the opportunity and it's like chill dude.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
They're not quite that bad. I knew a working class person once; he had a council house and everything.
That was your dad, right? Wasn't he a baker and your mum a hairdresser? Or were you telling porkies again!
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
That was your dad, right? Wasn't he a baker and your mum a hairdresser? Or were you telling porkies again!
A chippy actually. But he never lived in a council house.
Well Suited
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well to be quite honest with you, you don't have to have gone to a public school to be a snob. I know a good few at my school, but chivalry prevents me from naming them (also they are not registered here so they cannot defend themselves!)
QuackQuack
Report 13 years ago
'Working class'? I know a lot of people who would call themselves working class, who are actually middle class, but for some reason are attracted to this pride of being working class and wear it like a badge of honour... And somehow - somehow - I know just know that it is linked to nationalism. I suppose it is the romanticising of class in the media, e.g. soaps etc...

Then again, that is not the discussion at hand.
ForeverDecember
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
QQ ~ I strongly believe there is no such thing as middle class. If you have to work to provide for yourself/youf family, then you are working class. If you can get by without doing a day's work, then you're "upper class." By definition there is nowehere to fit the 'middle class' in
Snake
Badges:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
my dad was a baker (at safeway) and mum worked in a hairdressers!
eerie...
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by QuackQuack)
'Working class'? I know a lot of people who would call themselves working class, who are actually middle class, but for some reason are attracted to this pride of being working class and wear it like a badge of honour... And somehow - somehow - I know just know that it is linked to nationalism. I suppose it is the romanticising of class in the media, e.g. soaps etc...

Then again, that is not the discussion at hand.
Yeah i think people who are not from the working class, but maybe had family a few generations back, think it may be romantic...the reality isn't i'dimagine....unless you have a talent and then get loaded, like Liam Gallagher or Wayne Rooney
at least lara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think this is a ridiculous question to begin with- i mean, if a working class person gets into a private school s/he obiviously DESERVES to be there... y is this even being questioned??? whoever asked this question, take my advice and put better use to your time than pondering the rights of different classes in your percieved caste then- until then, ur just gonna come off as ignorant...

thanx
Well Suited
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xbellax)
i think this is a ridiculous question to begin with- i mean, if a working class person gets into a private school s/he obiviously DESERVES to be there... y is this even being questioned??? whoever asked this question, take my advice and put better use to your time than pondering the rights of different classes in your percieved caste then- until then, ur just gonna come off as ignorant...

thanx
Do different classes have different rights? Now there's a novel suggestion!
LawQueen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xbellax)

thanx
There's a difference between deserving it and actually getting it. Some rich people probably don't deserve it, but they can get it. That is the way sociiety works. I hate arguements on whether people deserve it or not because it is fruitless in society-you may deserve it but the fact is you might not be able to get it-people have to live through much worse and you can do just as well in state education quite a lot. Some people just want to pay for their kids to be in a certain environment.
at least lara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepooos)
There's a difference between deserving it and actually getting it. Some rich people probably don't deserve it, but they can get it. That is the way sociiety works. I hate arguements on whether people deserve it or not because it is fruitless in society-you may deserve it but the fact is you might not be able to get it-people have to live through much worse and you can do just as well in state education quite a lot. Some people just want to pay for their kids to be in a certain environment.
I know people dont alwayz get what they DESERVE and i'm not that familiar with ur pre-college educational system but i was just commenting on the absurdity of his question to begin with... s/he made it sound like it was a question of whether or not they should be ALLOWED to go there and that's retarded
veryjammy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
On one hand this is a silly question. But as someone from a working class family who got a scholarship to a private school, there are social questions to consider. I felt that the largely upper middle-class people who I attended the school with had no idea of what it is to live on a council estate as I did, to live in a family where money is an issue and not something mummy and daddy throw at you - I often felt I lived on a different planet to them.

But then I got a good education there so I guess I can't complain.
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by veryjammy)
On one hand this is a silly question. But as someone from a working class family who got a scholarship to a private school, there are social questions to consider. I felt that the largely upper middle-class people who I attended the school with had no idea of what it is to live on a council estate as I did, to live in a family where money is an issue and not something mummy and daddy throw at you - I often felt I lived on a different planet to them.

But then I got a good education there so I guess I can't complain.
Well of course they dont know what its like to live on a council estate - they havent - just as you wouldnt know what its like to live in the Burkino Faso.

I have to say - I went to public school and I wouldnt say that the majority of people felt that money was "something mummy and daddy threw at you". I don't really see that much at all ... they HAVE more money than most - but that's not to say that their priorities and values are automatically out of wack.

PS - this isnt meant to be read with an agressive tone to it!
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't want to go to a private school. I don't see anything wrong with my public school. Some poeple here, who go to a private school are snobby(not all people though) and they are actually less intelligent than me. So, if I am more intelligent than them at my public school, why would I want to go to a private school?
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by galadriel100)
I wouldn't want to go to a private school. I don't see anything wrong with my public school. Some poeple here, who go to a private school are snobby(not all people though) and they are actually less intelligent than me. So, if I am more intelligent than them at my public school, why would I want to go to a private school?
Higher calibre of teachers on average, smaller class sizes, and a greater variety and quality of extra-curicular activities? ... on the whole ...
LawQueen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah basically, your parents want you to be in a certain environment. It's not like everyone who attends public school shouts about it-I find it to be a conversation stopper, so will only divulge when asked.
PRIVATESKLGIRL
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think that working class should be able to go to private schools if they are able to afford it, because everything cost money as i gather state school students dont pay for exams where as private students do etc. As you may have gathered I go to a private school and i love it and i guess we probably have better facilities and smaller classes etc then non private schools but i wouldnt know. But hey does it really matter.. as long as your happy at the school your at and you get the future your looking for and the education you want then does it really matter.. no!
sapphisticated
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PRIVATESKLGIRL)
I think that working class should be able to go to private schools if they are able to afford it, because everything cost money as i gather state school students dont pay for exams where as private students do etc. As you may have gathered I go to a private school and i love it and i guess we probably have better facilities and smaller classes etc then non private schools but i wouldnt know. But hey does it really matter.. as long as your happy at the school your at and you get the future your looking for and the education you want then does it really matter.. no!
I love the bit about not having to pay for exams. We're having to pay for re-sits at my place now, thanks to them wasting money on utter crap.
bohogirlie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LadyFadge)
I would not want to go to a snobby school,
I get offended when people say that...Private Schools are not snobby at all, i should know after leaving a state school for a private school seven years ago.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (115)
26.38%
No (321)
73.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise