Turn on thread page Beta

should working class people go to private school? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    hmm... I go to a state grammar and people call us posh even though none of us are. They're just jealous - the competition to get in is extremely hot and they know we're so much more intelligent than they are.
    thats harsh!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have money ok but I am not rich. People have some idea of you being rich with lots of money, well no. I live in nice home and have a nice family. I come from a good family but not rich. More like middle class or upper middle. My great father left school when he was 15 and stared to work, within 30 years he had his own building company and it ran very well for many years. Sold after he died but still the family goes on. The family still many building left over from the company. We have own a hotel, bus company and more. The family made most of the money during the WWII, my greatgrand father owned a number of nightclubs in norwich during the war and so made alot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    The father should pay for it
    The father should pay for it with what money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jigar)
    either you didn't read the first half of my previous post, or you decided to purposely evade the point i was making, instead exaggerating your exclamation. either way, i'm leaving this thread, not because i do not believe i have a good point, but because as an idiot i am sure i am not worthy of debating this issue with you.
    So, instead of reading my extremely relevant initial post, (which, being my own critic in the most harshness of fashions, is a masterful piece), you intend to drop the subject as you fail to see the point of view from the working class man.
    I can understand your point of view, that is why I have used such words as majority on numerous occasions, but to your ignorance you fail to see this. If you take it on terms of majority, I believe what I am saying is true.

ReputationRep:
    Gayboy Go Away. Take Other Peoples Views On Life More

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have money ok but I am not rich. People have some idea of you being rich with lots of money, well no. I live in nice home and have a nice family. I come from a good family but not rich. More like middle class or upper middle. My great father left school when he was 15 and stared to work, within 30 years he had his own building company and it ran very well for many years. Sold after he died but still the family goes on. The family still many building left over from the company. We have own a hotel, bus company and more. The family made most of the money during the WWII, my greatgrand father owned a number of nightclubs in norwich during the war and so made alot of money.
    Your dad obviously had money to start up those businesses, which he gained from your greatgrandfathers empire. And things are different nowadays. To get anywhere you need at least a degree. Even people with degrees sometimes have to resort to telesales whilst looking for a 'proper' job. Its not like it was 20 years ago, where is you were a well spoken white male, you were given the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PRIVATESKLGIRL)
    thats harsh!
    sorry

ok, but that must be the only reason why the nasty people from the local school hate us. we don't do anything to them. or they think we're easy targets.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and my family has money and so do i! I have an awful lot but that does not make me so determined to put down people without money!
    You should come back down to the real world

ReputationRep:
    Stay Don't Go

ReputationRep:
    And also, are you English? You write in a very foreign way. Don't worry I can understand what you are saying but it sounds quite broken and unlike a british person.

ReputationRep:
    because people are too lazy to read, here is my initial post:

(Originally Posted by brasil85)
    Working class are different to me. I don't know any working class but would like to meet some. From places up north
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this come sort of slur on working class people from the north?
    Brasil85, you are an idiot, the fact you don't "know" any working class people and then make a judgement on them (us) is showing prejudice.

I believe that your narrow view of "the father should pay" is completely blind, they are such thing as circumstance in the real world, and not wishful thinking of caviar supper with polo on a sunday.
    You are an idiot, what occupation do you think "working class people" have, and what about the range of income?

Your generalisations make me sick, they make me think of stupid people with posh accents, living off "daddy's money", and he was probably living off his dad's money too.

IDIOT!!

ReputationRep:
    thefish_uk - dont be sorry it just seemed bit mean.

ReputationRep:
    Most have had other jobs before. My mother was a civil servent and worked in Oman, it her side of the family. My father was in the army as a officer. His was working class. Idon't plan to take over one day I would rather work than have to run the family company. I hate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PRIVATESKLGIRL)
    thefish_uk - dont be sorry it just seemed bit mean.
    sure. I am mean. sometimes

ReputationRep:
    I try not to ne snob but can sometimes just happend. Most snobs are not snobs. My school is full of upper class snobs who look down on everything that below them. I was ok thank god but other boys were't. i don't Ihave a friend who went to grammer school and is a snob all the time. We get on a bus one day and he was all most hit by the driver for what he called him( lower working class git to his face and more), he was asked not to travel on the bus any more. If I had not been with him then something would have happend to him, God know what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    hmm... I go to a state grammar and people call us posh even though none of us are. They're just jealous - the competition to get in is extremely hot and they know we're so much more intelligent than they are.
    You don't seriously think that people are jealous of you because you consider you're SO much more intelligent than they are do you?
    If you do then you're not as intelligent as you like to think you are.
    I imagine you were coached to get a place at your school, most of those who apply to grammars are.
    In the year prior to my year leaving primary, 7(who took the 11+) out of 32(most whom didn't) passed their 11+. The morning they got their letters they all hung around the school gates singing out to all their 'friends' who hadn't passed "we're the best, we're going to grammar school, you lot are divs". The following year (mine) 14 out of 32 passed the 11+ (i.e. every one who was entered for it). None of us were triumphalist nor jeering, and in fact, most decided to go to the local comp anyway (top stream - grammar equivalent.) You see, we could do Latin at the comp and it wasn't on offer at the local grammars!
    Do you think that perhaps you are not liked because you give off an aura of superiority - your quote that you are much more intelligent would suggest that you certainly think you are superior.
    Another thing - have you noticed that when people recount their experiences of their school they will say "when I was at grammar school..."(if they went to one). Why this need to mention the word grammar unless they think it somehow means they deserve more respect or admiration because of it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I was I had alot of help. I pass all my exams ok. I found them easy that my view.

ReputationRep:
    Yes why not. Many working class people are clever so should be allowed into private school like Eton.
    WOW you've changed your tune the other day you were ****in working class peeps off.

ReputationRep:
    Yes for myself

ReputationRep:
    Eton have 6th form full scholarships from people from non selective state schools.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.