Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    About personal statements. It is ture that some some Housemaster will allmost write them for you. I have seen it happend before with a boy some years older. The boy asked for some help from the Housemaster in writing the personal statement, the boy was hoping to take law at Oxford. Then it turn out that the Housemaster went to Oxford, the boy was not that clever but his father and Housemaster had both been so he went to Oxford, he gained the marks to and went to Oxford. Is this fair? Well no. He never showed any thing great. The only reasons he gain three A at A level was done to alot of extra help and alot of one to one help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julia r)
    the people on this thread who are at state school seem very defensive although they too are stereotyping people (in their case the ones at private school). Not everyone is the same. The posh kids who boast may stand out the most because they're the loudest and most obnoxious at private schools, but they're definitely not the majority. Most kids come from "normal" families and are only there because their parents have saved up to give them a good education. Give private schools a break.
    "normal" what exactly is normal? who ever wanted to be normal? i defently don't normal means you have headless sheep syndrome and just do everything everyone else does and have no mind of your own so if the people from "normal" families are arround posh snobby people then undoubtedly they will act the same way

ReputationRep:
    excuse me! but how do you know our idea of being bad? have you actually been to a private school!
    lets see.. one student turns up to school about once or twice a week!..yeah great! students decided to do pot on school trips....even better! our head girl shags a maths teacher...wooohooo!..one of our students tells our teacher to **** off cos hes a **** head and then walks out while kicking the **** into a prep former!.......good pupils? i think not!
    It this ture? well yes I would say, Three boys from my year left the school for smoking can't say what. Two years ago a boy was caught in a sex acted with a local girl, so some say. We try and get girls back to the school at night all the time. So is this good? well not as bad as Priavteschool girl school. And more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    excuse me! but how do you know our idea of being bad? have you actually been to a private school!
    lets see.. one student turns up to school about once or twice a week!..yeah great! students decided to do pot on school trips....even better! our head girl shags a maths teacher...wooohooo!..one of our students tells our teacher to **** off cos hes a **** head and then walks out while kicking the **** into a prep former!.......good pupils? i think not!
    It this ture? well yes I would say, Three boys from my year left the school for smoking can't say what. Two years ago a boy was caught in a sex acted with a local girl, so some say. We try and get girls back to the school at night all the time. So is this good? well not as bad as Priavteschool girl school. And more
    Are you sure it is not your mum you are referring to when you say you try to get girls back into school all the time, considering you are so intent on asking where to get girls, how to etc. on this forum

ReputationRep:
    I just thought id post a msg and give u my view - i go 2 a private school and in order for me to go there my mum has to work. I go to one because it is the kind of school that suits me and my needs. Hardly anyone at our school acts like a snob or posh, and many of us are there cos the rest of the schools around us are not that good or we have had problems with the people at other schools.

ReputationRep:
    That good. that was the same with me. Not all priavte school boys are posh or snobs but some are.,

ReputationRep:
    yea there r some private schools tht have posh and snobbish boys and GIRLS lol

ReputationRep:
    What is with the competition as to whose pupils are worse behaved? Sure, private schools have some f***ed up kids, but so do state schools, and I really wouldn't like to hazard a guess at which is worse. It's not like it's some kind of status symbol or something.

ReputationRep:
    I had to go to a bloody private school. I could never have said no, and had to stay there for 6th form, cause i was told go to Germany or stay there.. and they called that a "choice" ... luckily there was another 2 6th form places, one very near by, and one quite nearby where i managed to become mistaken for a full time student by some... oh and whenever i speak baldly of my school (something started at around 13, when general innocence is broken and you see stuff more clearly and pessimisticly) my parents would have a go at me, pretending i had a choice if i was there and "are you trying to tell us it was a waste of money?" yes actually. i wouldn't have been as pissed of with the world, or so damn angry at my school if i hadn't gone to it... if i'd been in a state school i'd have been able to slack about and have my performance in exams praised, which might make me work a bit now and then, as opposed for being hassled and talked to and got at by all the ****s in this school. My school was just one big autocratic **** up place, it just made you do some much stupid **** you didn't need to, and i never took advantage of any better teachers... anything i learnt was when i really had to and from a book.
    **** that, my kids are going to have a choice. And if they don't want private school at some point then they'll be free not to go there.
    oh and as far as difference in education, if you're bright it makes little difference:

Friend, goes to comprehensive, goes to oxford, quantum physics, totaly safe bloke.
    Friends brother, goes to my school, goes to cambridge, ?, a bit of a ****.

Also don't forget it's easy to get scarred for life by a posh/ poshish accent if you go there too. While most ppl don't care there's always the odd ****** who mentions it 7 or 8 times and hour.

Private schools should be legal, but there should be more check ups on the sanity of parents and checks on whether children are consenting to attend these schools.

ReputationRep:
    just a thought

how comes some of u r sayin its alright for smart people to succeed, yet it is left unsaid that if there is limited resources, dumb people will fall by the wayside, for example in the old English grammer school system.

Why does society have to be meritocratic, ie success due to ability, as opposed to those that start off with other advantages in life, like having a rich family. Why does merit mean that you are better than other people anymore than money does. You will succeed or fail in life due to a huge combination of factors, including luck.

Why cant people who gain the advantage of going to a private school, through the hard work of someone in their family (no matter how far back, at some stage a person in their family has made that money) do so. Other people get other advantages like meeting important people through relations. It is not ur opportunities that count, its what use you make of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    How can you tell if someone is going to be intelligent when they take their GCSEs/A-levels if the entrance test is taken at an age of 11? Thinking about it, you can imagine how much preparation and 'extra oxbridge' lessons those 40% are going to have in their application to oxbridge - I actually heard from a student at Eton who said that when applying, some house masters practically write their personal statements for them...
    I think raw intelligence is pretty well-developed by the age of 11, and the tests schools give are fairly extensive, including verbal reasoning and sometimes IQ tests in addition to English, Maths, and Science.

In my experience at an independent school we Oxbridge applicants actually get less help and special attention because about a third of the year is applying -- my dad went to a state school and he got loads of special lessons from the headmaster etc. because there were only three of them.

Personal statements are almost always well-honed, no matter what the school the person went to, and they aren't too important anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    I go to a state sixth form in a school that is in a very posh middle class area. There are 2 main private schools around and in the 'A' level rankings for our area, my school is placed between the two of them - one having better results and one having worse, the private school being an academically selective from age 11!

My point in thats some comprehensives can be really good, even better that some private schools. There are some exceptional students at my school and if I had paid for an aducation at one of the nearby private schools (which are also very good schools) then I could be getting a worse education than im already getting for free - and that is only looking at the academic benefits!
    I agree as some selective school acheive better than provate schools, some private schools has worse grades than normal state school. What i dont see is what is the point paying for your paretns to pay for your education while they pay tax to run the schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shopaholicjenni)
    What i dont see is what is the point paying for your paretns to pay for your education while they pay tax to run the schools?
    Why not? They are alleviating the educational problem by paying a place for their child to go to a private school, whilst also supporting the state education.

ReputationRep:
    Ok say that you come from working class background ya and you clever, but would feel that you could fit with the other chaps or girls. It can be hard for them. Priavte school are great but only 10% of the pop go to priavte school

ReputationRep:
    I think the simple answer is yes, if they want to and if they can afford it or if they get a scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone should be able to go to privite/public schools, although it does seem that schools like eton tend towards the rich and famous students.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of the Chaps at Eton will have gone to Ludgrove and other top prepschools that helps , the other is that it will also look at your family, so what school your dad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    Alot of the Chaps at Eton will have gone to Ludgrove and other top prepschools that helps , the other is that it will also look at your family, so what school your dad
    Erm, not exactly. Entrance to Eton is solely exam and interview based, obviously you have to be put on a house list when your slightly younger as well. If you look presentable and get a good mark in the exam you'd get in.

Why does Eton always get dragged up on such issues, lots of schools have the same intake system and a lot get better results.

ReputationRep:
    ok shrewsbury norwich school all top schools you have to take CE, it's hard i only just passed with a few marks,

ReputationRep:
    tell me why does Eton do so well

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.