Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i had a girlfriend at a privat school once, she had been there all her life, it did nothing for her, she had all these high airs as did her sister and she fu(ked up all her gcse's and dropped out, when she got into the real world she was suprised about what life is really like and what 'working class' were really like, it was a major reality shock, i dont think private schools do anything for you.

ReputationRep:
    This seems a fairly old thread, and a bit of an easy question to answer. Yes they should, if they want to. I went to a public school myself, and am solidly working class. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it's set me up well. One or two people would make an issue of it, but they were hardly the sort of people I want to have as friends anyway, so it wasn't a problem. (Only slight side-effect, if that's the right word, is it's given me a kind of chameleonic accent, which changes depending on who I'm with)

ReputationRep:
    hey! wheres my tsr smilies gone???????????

(Original post by brasil85)
    Yes why not. Many working class people are clever so should be allowed into private school like Eton.
    Public and private schools should be abolished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    leaving.....

(Original post by saiyamana)
    leaving.....
    There are things called state schools, you know. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's idiotic. Removing freedom of choice is inexcusable.

ReputationRep:
    There are things called state schools, you know. :rolleyes:
    :stupido2: shhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Not my private school, it was special.

(Original post by d750)
    That's idiotic. Removing freedom of choice is inexcusable.
    I think inequality is unacceptable, each to his own I suppose.

(Original post by pikaboo)
    Not my private school, it was special.
    Sorry. But abolish them all. Make more state schools, so class sizes are still small, and put lots of fnding towards good facilities.

If I was prime minister tax would be 100%

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. But abolish them all. Make more state schools, so class sizes are still small, and put lots of fnding towards good facilities.

If I was prime minister tax would be 100%
    This tax thing, so 100% of my wages would go on other people?

Sog that, I still want to buy a waterbed, you know.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a generalisation but all the people in my sixth form who went previously to a private school seem to have this idea that the world owes them a favour. However, now with the attitude and not having done any work are having to face the realisation that their parents money isnt going to get them into uni. I've had this debate with my friends about whether or not i would send my future children to private school. and the answer would be no. Cause i don't believe it generally means a better education and i think it's wrong to have children "mixing with their own kind". I want my children to achieve things by their own merits, e.g. going to a grammar school = passing 11+. I know it's a generalisation but it judging by the people i know.

ReputationRep:
    I think inequality is unacceptable, each to his own I suppose.
    well, life is full of inequalities, but how far are people going to go? i think it's unfair some of my friends will get cars for their 18th and i wont - but stopping them would not magically solve my problem of no car would it? now, apply this to education and you'll catch my drift.

(Original post by ant87)
    well, life is full of inequalities, but how far are people going to go? i think it's unfair some of my friends will get cars for their 18th and i wont - but stopping them would not magically solve my problem of no car would it? now, apply this to education and you'll catch my drift.
    Yes, but I'm not taking cars away from your friends, I'm not believing in public schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    I know this is a generalisation but all the people in my sixth form who went previously to a private school seem to have this idea that the world owes them a favour. However, now with the attitude and not having done any work are having to face the realisation that their parents money isnt going to get them into uni. I've had this debate with my friends about whether or not i would send my future children to private school. and the answer would be no. Cause i don't believe it generally means a better education and i think it's wrong to have children "mixing with their own kind". I want my children to achieve things by their own merits, e.g. going to a grammar school = passing 11+. I know it's a generalisation but it judging by the people i know.
    why not send them to a selective private school? some of those schools are so competitive, it doesn't matter how much money you have. your child would still be there on their own merits.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I'm not taking cars away from your friends, I'm not believing in public schools.
    whether i go to a private school or not doesnt really matter, because the taxes my dad pays still go to the government, regardless of where i go.

(Original post by ant87)
    whether i go to a private school or not doesnt really matter, because the taxes my dad pays still go to the government, regardless of where i go.
    He obviously isn't being taxed enough, then.

Do you think it's right that you get thousands spent on your education whilst others go to schools that can hardly afford computers?

I went to a private school, and then asked to leave.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt send them to a private school because i am against the conception of "mixing with your own kind". It doesnt matter how poor or rich, i think children should be given the same opportunities. Just because one child parent who hasnt got a lot of money, that shouldnt reflect on the childs education.

ReputationRep:
    yea of course whats the problem I know many of my friends go to a private school

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.