The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
rachxl
Anyone doing this exam? If so how's the preparation going? Which topics are you finding the hardest?

:smile:

I am.
Hate the module!
Especially the trig general solutions, although i am starting to get used to them. I can't do matrix transformations either.

Is it true that 'Linear Laws' were removed from the spec this year (2009), my further maths teacher seems to think they are but it seems random.
Reply 2
pcfailure
I am.
Hate the module!
Especially the trig general solutions, although i am starting to get used to them. I can't do matrix transformations either.

Is it true that 'Linear Laws' were removed from the spec this year (2009), my further maths teacher seems to think they are but it seems random.

I love the general solutions. easy marks if you ask me :p:

Matrix transformations are by far the most difficult topic. It gets annoying when they start putting reflections and rotations together :s-smilie:

& no they wasn't - they just didn't feature on the Jan 09 exam. There are no syllabus changes to maths this year.
Reply 3
pcfailure
I am.
Hate the module!

I used to think the trig was horrible but now I quite like it :p:

I find quite allot of it a bit boring, like Euler's method and the other repetitive number crunching stuff :/ And I can't be bothered to practice the linear stuff as it takes too much effort to draw graphs :o: Hope I'm not being too lazy about this module!

If I'm going to slip up majorly somewhere, it'll either be on the matrices stuff or on a big graph drawing question...
Reply 4
rachxl
I used to think the trig was horrible but now I quite like it :p:

I find quite allot of it a bit boring, like Euler's method and the other repetitive number crunching stuff :/ And I can't be bothered to practice the linear stuff as it takes too much effort to draw graphs :o: Hope I'm not being too lazy about this module!

If I'm going to slip up majorly somewhere, it'll either be on the matrices stuff or on a big graph drawing question...

The ironic thing is drawing graphs is pre-gcse stuff..
Reply 5
Adam92
The ironic thing is drawing graphs is pre-gcse stuff..

Yeah I know! :rolleyes:

At GCSE I used to get the really simple questions wrong :frown: and then find the "hard" stuff easy...
Reply 6
I disliked AQA FP1. I found it was too much numerical methods / linear laws etc... Too much dirty maths. FP2 is much cooler, you have that to look forward too!
i find FP1 ok, its just that its not as predictable as C1 and C2, so its not as easy to revise for. Im not really finding anything difficult but i still have to learn 1 chapter fromn sratch, linear laws, and i really havent got the time too.
Reply 8
I don't think it's that bad really... but I think I should start revising today.
I quite trig and Euler's method because they're both 2 simple things to do for a lot of marks (if you know what you're doing though obviously)
Yeah I agree, matrix transformations is probably the hardest part on there - they aren't that bad though it's just because I've seen some strangely worded questions that you really have to think about...
Reply 9
I am doing it.

Also can anyone help me with this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=921560
Reply 10
Anyone fancy predicting whats going to come up on monday?
pcfailure

I was told to learn the proof of Newton-Raphson because the January paper asked you to prove the linear interpolation formula..
Also, linear laws will most probably come up as it didnt come up on the january paper..
Reply 12
pcfailure

Probably linear laws as they didn't turn up in Jan.
Reply 13
.x.alexa.x.
I was told to learn the proof of Newton-Raphson because the January paper asked you to prove the linear interpolation formula..
Also, linear laws will most probably come up as it didnt come up on the january paper..

That was a ridiculous question. You could of just found the equation of the line in the form y = mx + c.
Adam92
That was a ridiculous question. You could of just found the equation of the line in the form y = mx + c.

Haha. Thats FP1 for you
Arghh at matrices... :s-smilie:
Yeah I'm also doing this exam, can't do improper intergrals at all, I mean WTF is that about! :tongue:

Can't find any leaked papers no where niether, suxk.
Reply 16
I do not understand the matrix reflections and rotations =[
Reply 17
It seems most people here dislike matrix transformations, I thought I was the only one.

At least there in the formula book! I can never remember them :rolleyes:
Reply 18
.x.alexa.x.

I agree about the linear laws coming up, they are usualyl OK though so I'm too worried about this. In that case I will probably makes sure I know where newton raphson comes from too, but even that isn't tooo bad. Anyway, I think this paper will be easier than the one in January.??
Reply 19
Adam92

At least there in the formula book! I can never remember them :rolleyes:

Yeah that makes them relatively simple... you usually just end up plugging in the numbers to cos-1 or whatever after some multiplications/addition :dontknow:

However, sometimes they have nasty trick question type things which actually require you to think :eek3:

Latest

Trending

Trending