The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got full marks in all the questions except 5 and 7.. I think I dropped 3 marks on question 7 and around 6 on question 5 :/
Reply 381
TheEd
I didn't get this in the exam but my teacher said today that you put the imaginary part = 0 so 4x -4 = 0 => 4x = 4 => x=1 which is the only value. Makes sense.

I didn't get it either... I just made the real part equal to zero and got some number that surely isn't right...
I also combine the real and imaginary part together and tried that but pretty sure that's not right either.
Reply 382
Lilliesha
I didn't get it either... I just made the real part equal to zero and got some number that surely isn't right...
I also combine the real and imaginary part together and tried that but pretty sure that's not right either.

Funny that I went through those two processes as well which were both doomed to failure! :frown:
Reply 383
TheEd
Funny that I went through those two processes as well which were both doomed to failure! :frown:

Failure on that part of the question yes...
I just want someone who knows that is the definite answer (4x-4=0) or anything else that could please explain because in all the other questions that I've lost marks on I realise why except this one.
Lilliesha
Failure on that part of the question yes...
I just want someone who knows that is the definite answer (4x-4=0) or anything else that could please explain because in all the other questions that I've lost marks on I realise why except this one.

well it was 4ix - 4i = 0 you took out both i gives 4x -4 =0
Reply 385
abcxyz6666
well it was 4ix - 4i = 0 you took out both i gives 4x -4 =0

Hmm I suppose...
Is it not in your text book, it should be
Reply 387
abcxyz6666
Is it not in your text book, it should be

Probably.
Reply 388
TheEd
I've scanned in the paper. See Attachments for images of the pages. :smile:

Thanks for uploading :smile:
Reply 389
Anyones teacher given them any sort of mark scheme or anything like that for all or parts of the exam cos i would really love to know the answer from a teacher for that complex numbers one
Reply 390
josh5702
Anyones teacher given them any sort of mark scheme or anything like that for all or parts of the exam cos i would really love to know the answer from a teacher for that complex numbers one

Part b)?

Just set the imaginary part to 0.
Reply 391
Adam92
Part b)?

Just set the imaginary part to 0.

well what did you get for z(squared) -2z
Reply 392
josh5702
well what did you get for z(squared) -2z

z^2 + 2z* you mean?

It's x^2 + 2x - 4 + 4xi - 4i.

Set the imaginary part to 0, so 4x - 4 = 0, hence x = 1 :smile:
That complex numbers question confused me at first as well :O At first I tried to set the real part to 0, d'oh! Then I realised it was the imaginary part I had to set to 0.
Reply 394
Adam92
z^2 + 2z* you mean?

It's x^2 + 2x - 4 + 4xi - 4i.

Set the imaginary part to 0, so 4x - 4 = 0, hence x = 1 :smile:

ah right didnt get that at all
i just had a quadratic liike i put x^2 + (4i+2)x +(-4-4i)=0
so when it said there was one solution i thought that meant work out the discriminant and it should equal 0 but it just didnt so never got anywhere, only 2 marks lost
How did the results go then?
Reply 396
Robbie10538
How did the results go then?

94/100. Not bad considering I self taught it in a month lol. You?
Adam92
94/100. Not bad considering I self taught it in a month lol. You?

97. Really pleased with it considering I know for certain I dropped at least 3 marks.
Reply 398
Robbie10538
97. Really pleased with it considering I know for certain I dropped at least 3 marks.

Well done, that's the best I've seen (in this exam).
I got 96, messed the matrix question (or part of it) up.

Latest

Trending

Trending