The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
has anyone learnt these:

sin(2x) = 2(sinx)(cosx)

Cos(2x) = 2cos^2(x) - 1

They just ranomly cropped up on page 75, in the matrix bit, and then a couple of exercises later on needed them... but I've never seen these identities before. (In my limited experience ie C1 & C2 :p:)
Robbie10538
Oh the Newton Raphson method- that's in the formula book though.

No i do mean linear interpolation are you sure we have the same book?

Aqa FP1 2nd edition.
Reply 122
Katermerang
I just use the equating the gradient method, i find it so easy.

Could you possibly briefly explain this to me? Not quite sure what you mean :/
rachxl
has anyone learnt these:

sin(2x) = 2(sinx)(cosx)

Cos(2x) = 2cos^2(x) - 1

They just ranomly cropped up on page 75, in the matrix bit, and then a couple of exercises later on needed them... but I've never seen these identities before. (In my limited experience ie C1 & C2 :p:)

I have never seen these??
Katermerang
Yeah i think its

[af(b) -bf(a)]/[f(b)-f(a)] Where X=a and X=b as approximations.

Its not in the formula book.

what text book is that? cuz mine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Maths-AQA-Further-Pure/dp/0199149852/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243796072&sr=8-10

doent have that formula
Katermerang
No i do mean linear interpolation are you sure we have the same book?

Aqa FP1 2nd edition.

I dont see second edition though

Its all quite common sense to be honest though (linear interpolation). Just draw out a good diagram and work from there.
Katermerang
I have never seen these??

me neither, do we need to know those 2 formula???
I've just noticed on page 5 of the formula booklet lots of conic equations- those might come in useful!
Reply 128
rachxl
has anyone learnt these:

sin(2x) = 2(sinx)(cosx)

Cos(2x) = 2cos^2(x) - 1

Never seen them before.
Reply 129
abcxyz6666
me neither, do we need to know those 2 formula???

Lol, sorry to cause panic :rolleyes: don't think we actually do, just wondering if anyone had seen them before
rachxl
Could you possibly briefly explain this to me? Not quite sure what you mean :/

Yeah ok, i dont actualy think this method is in the book, i think my f-maths taecher invented it, (really cleaver guy went to oxford and loves maths).

Bear with me as i dont know how to use that latex thing...

First find two points on your line above and below the x axis (you would have probably already done this in part i of a question any way)

Use these to find the gradeint of the line.

Now equate the gradient to (y1-y2)/(x1-x2)
(you dont need to write this)

Use one of your original co-ordiantes as (x1,y1)

And uese the point (x.0) (the approx root value) as the point (x2,y2)

It should be an easy equation to now solve.
Reply 131
sin(2x) = 2(sinx)(cosx)

Cos(2x) = 2cos^2(x) - 1

These are double angle identities and pop up in core 4.
I guess i'm the only person in year 13? =P
Robbie10538

I dont see second edition though

Its all quite common sense to be honest though (linear interpolation). Just draw out a good diagram and work from there.

Yeah i think you have the old one, that would make sense.

Edit: no i realise now its actualy a differnt publisher.
Wouldn't mind a linear laws q they seem relatively straight forward. Hopefully no wildcards thrown in like Q7 of Jan 09...
I hope they do a 'year' thing again- e.g. show that this is divisible by 2009 etc- they make me laugh!
Robbie10538
I hope they do a 'year' thing again- e.g. show that this is divisible by 2009 etc- they make me laugh!

There's a few "year" questions, there's the 06 matrix and the 08 multiple also.
Reply 137
Robbie10538

Lmao, I noticed that. Nothing wrong with a bit of humour in a maths exam :p:
Robbie10538

That 2008 question was soo annoying, i created a really strange and akward way to prove it which took up two pages, solved it feeling good.

Then i realised it was two marks and all you had to do was show n had a multiple of 1004, lol.
Reply 139
What are the different equations you have to remember??

Like the equation for a circle, and linear interpolation, anyone wanna list them for me?? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending