dresses for quite broad shoulders? Watch

je-ne-regrette-rien
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi

I love wearing dresses, but I think I have quite broad shoulders in comparison to my waist, hips etc, so should i avoid halter necks or strapless dresses? what types should i go for?
I'm 5ft2, shoulders 32 inches, waist 24, hips 27.

Thanks!
Daya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You should go for dresses which are fitted at the waist and then flare out at the hips to balance it out. I think you could wear strapless, I don't know about halter necks. Avoid dresses with really thin spaghetti straps though.
je-ne-regrette-rien
Rep:
?
OK . Why should I avoid spaghetti straps tho? What does it do?
RedKitty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have rather broad shoulders and love halter neck dresses...I am 5ft 10 if that makes any difference :/
KayleeLand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your hair is important in this one! Is it long? Long hair (coming down by the boobies) helps to make shoulders look smaller.
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by je-ne-regrette-rien)
OK . Why should I avoid spaghetti straps tho? What does it do?
Avoid spaghetti straps (including the halter variety) as the very thin line only serves to emphasise the width of your shoulders. A broad halter style would work, or tapered halter (where the strap starts broad at the top of the bodice and narrows as it goes behind your neck.

Dresses with wider shoulder straps work, also dresses with a V type neck as this draws the eye in.

Avoid 'off the shoulder' at all costs...especially with a sweetheart neckline - they'll make you look huge.
rmanoj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know nothing about dresses but how can you have 32 inch shoulders? Did you double the measurement or something? 16" would make more sense measured from shoulder to shoulder across the back.
je-ne-regrette-rien
Rep:
?
Yeah, I doubled it lol, like you measure your waist, chest etc! Yeah, I have long hair, half-way down my back.

So, like this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise