A*? Watch

020sophiekay
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hey
random but im in yr 12 right now and they've introduced the whole A* thing for A levels. I already know of some unis that are putting them in there offers...cambridge, UCL ...etc
so just wonderin what everyone though
happy...pissed off....dont care???
thanks
;-)
raceforthefishman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
don't think its right that I can get an A* in 3 of my subjects but not maths because the syllabus hasn't changed (for example)
so how can they compare anyone!!

seems a bit silly to me!
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by raceforthefishman)
don't think its right that I can get an A* in 3 of my subjects but not maths because the syllabus hasn't changed (for example)

seems a bit silly to me!
You can get an A* in maths.
utare
Report 9 years ago
you can get a A* in maths it doesn't matter about syllabus changes as their is strict criteria to judge the best of the best over a long period rather then boosting in AS, you need to be good at the harder A2 stuff as well. So i think its a good idea.
jayshah31
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

seems a bit silly to me!
You can get A*, despite the syllabus not changing for a year or two. It would be a bit ridiculous if you couldn't.
c0nfus3d
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good Idea- Motivation!
MalcomNewMoney84
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

seems a bit silly to me!
Isn't it a bit futile to claim that you can get 3A*s when you don't even know the results from your ASs which would be initial indicators of potential, let alone your A2s, which are a massive step up in terms of difficulty and need to be achieved with 90% plus marks :confused:
neomilan
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
Isn't it a bit futile to claim that you can get 3A*s without even doing january modules as an initial indicator of potential, let alone your ASs :confused:
either they mean 'in theory'
or they're quite confident of themselves!
MalcomNewMoney84
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by neomilan)
either they mean 'in theory'
or they're quite confident of themselves!
Exactly my friend!
Abdulla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've heard that it's not going to be bad if you don't have an A* but because the applications to the top unis is so fierce getting an A* or two will help your application.
*Lola_Stars*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm so glad I'm in Year 13 this year.
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was pretty frustrated. Even higher of an aim.
Now, it's just a matter of accepting it and trying to attain it.
raceforthefishman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
*cough* I did mean theoretically....
in reality...ill be lucky to get an A at the rate im going
Good jan results...downhill from there

nvm im sure we were told we couldn't
not to worry
I shall remove myself and my ignorance :awesome:
dale_cooper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A* is the beginning of several thousand neurotic messes shutting themselves inside in order to attain grade perfection.

I'm in year 13 and I was asked to do 'trial' A* Media Studies. Would have been pretty cool to get a grade that didn't really exist yet, but I politely declined as I have no interest in the subject.
georgia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *Lola_Stars*)
And likewise, I'm so glad I'm done with the whole A Level palaver.
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From what I've heard, Cambridge'll ask for A*AA because their statistics show that that's what most of their candidates would have got anyway if there had been an A* grade. So I suppose it shouldn't make much difference.

They say they won't take predicted grades for A* into account (how can you predict for a grade that's never existed before?) and they won't specify which subject you need A* in, so... I guess it won't change much in terms of Uni applications.
prospective student
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *Lola_Stars*)
ha ha. me too. can really do without that extra pressure!!
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A* rocks!

You don't really have to know any more, just be better at your existing knowledge ... if that makes sense ...
The only counter to that is the so-called "stretch and challenge" which is approximately equal to a damp squib, because all they're doing differently is changing the starts of questions, instead of using "Describe" for every one!
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Although I have to say I find it amusing that I can sit the same maths modules as Y13 this June, and overall I can get an A* for maths and they can't! Hehe...
rachxl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm indifferent to the whole thing really, I would always try to get the best possible I can- if that hits A* standard, great, if not, I obviously don't deserve to get one... and an A's good. (obviously if I had an offer with an A* in that would be a slightly different matter)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads