Turn on thread page Beta

Birmingham Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have just had a letter from Birmingham uni say they are writing to let me know that they are 'likely to be making me an offer' for Psychology and I should hear from UCAS soon. The letter also invites me to an open day for applicants. I just checked and there's nothing on the UCAW website yet. Should I take this to mean I'm definatly getting an offer or not?? I don't want to get to complacent and then let down lol.

Also, is anyone at Birmingham uni or has been to visit there/lives near there and could tell me a bit about what it is like, particularily in terms of Psychology?

Has anyone got an offer from them for Psychology yet and if so is it ABB or BBB?

Thanks.....Riz x

ReputationRep:
    *UCAS website i meant to say sorry........

ReputationRep:
    If people don't have anything useful to say... please don't.

Getting on to the university, i've been there twice but i may not be as informative as other people such as mr. Nylex. The university is a traditional one but there are some parts of the university that are modern. the layout of the university is nice...there are trees and grass and benches. In the middle of the campus they have some big clock about 120ft maybe more.

I don't really know much about psychology. When i applied Birmingham were the last to make me an offer, so i don't know if that means that they're slow on the admin side. Do they usually have interviews for psychology? it could just be a simple invite to look at the uni whilst they're considering your application. Not sure to be honest.

Hope this helped in some way.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,
    No they don't normally interview for Psychology....grr i wish i knew what they meant by 'likely to make you an offer'.......
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I sent my ucas application off about 3 weeks ago i havent heard ne fink from birmingham uni yet not even an acknowledgment. Startin to get kinda worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naz_y)
    I sent my ucas application off about 3 weeks ago i havent heard ne fink from birmingham uni yet not even an acknowledgment. Startin to get kinda worried.
    don't worry, i sent my application on the 13th October and i havent heard anything either

ReputationRep:
    I found Birmingham were very slow, didn't hear for about 3 months, so i wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999)
    don't worry, i sent my application on the 13th October and i havent heard anything either
    I applied to bham last year for chemistry and they were the last of my 6 to reply. I had an interview with them in the january. I personally thought Birmingham was too big for my liking, acomodation was quite away from the campus - though i thought the buildings were nice (well better than the concrete jungle that is UEA) and it was very spacious and green.

ReputationRep:
    I got my first offer from Birmingham. I applied by the Oxbridge deadline and heard from them near the end of November. I don't know about Psychology, as I'm doing Physics, but if you've got specific questions, then I (hopefully!) can answer them .

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter like that too...I declined the open day thingy, cos I'd already been (different subject tho) n just waited. After about 2 weeks the offer came onto UCAS...so don't worry! The uni n UCAS communication is a bit slowww...

ReputationRep:
    I've also received a very similar letter, saying the admssions tutor has made me an offer for Medieval English and History, and I also have yet to see the offer appear on the ucas website. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one in this situation, as I was getting rather worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I found Birmingham were very slow, didn't hear for about 3 months, so i wouldn't worry.
    I got an offer within a few weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    I got an offer within a few weeks
    i applied on the 3rd october for english and havent heard anything...in fact i havent heard anything from any of my six... should i be worried? what do u guys think? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    *UCAS website i meant to say sorry........
    No, you were right to say UCAW. They're the Universities and Colleges Admission ******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    I have just had a letter from Birmingham uni say they are writing to let me know that they are 'likely to be making me an offer' for Psychology and I should hear from UCAS soon. The letter also invites me to an open day for applicants. I just checked and there's nothing on the UCAW website yet. Should I take this to mean I'm definatly getting an offer or not?? I don't want to get to complacent and then let down lol.

Also, is anyone at Birmingham uni or has been to visit there/lives near there and could tell me a bit about what it is like, particularily in terms of Psychology?

Has anyone got an offer from them for Psychology yet and if so is it ABB or BBB?

Thanks.....Riz x
    I got an offer from Birmingham for psychology too! I also got that letter, but it came a week after they made me an offer (???). I'm sure they wouldn't send it if it wasn't official though!
    My offer was ABB, which means that I'll either choose the university for my first choice or turn it down... It's too high for insurance. Are you going to the open day on the 26th (next Wednesday) or have they invited you to a different one?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just checked the UCAS website and the Birmingham offer came through -ABB. I'm in the same position of you - it's too high for my insurance, if they had offered BBB it might have been different. Looks like I'm going to have a few unis with ABB that I'm going to have to try and choose between for my first choice....

So....I will be going to the Psychology open day on 3rd December, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'm going next Wednesday...

I haven't seen Birmingham yet, but I hope it's as nice as people say it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Ah, I'm going next Wednesday...

I haven't seen Birmingham yet, but I hope it's as nice as people say it is!
    Oh it is, IMO anyway.

ReputationRep:
    me too Leaby, let me know what you think of it please!! Have you read the sheet about how to get there? I will have to go by train as my parents are both working on the day and cannot get time off and I can't drive yet. Looks like there making a big fuss of the whole parents thing though! Anyway it sounds quite easy to get so and I was impressed by the fact that it has practically its own train station which would make it easy to get into the town centre - only 10 mins!!

Do you think we have to dress smart to these things or just causal, are you getting a nice buffet lunch too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    me too Leaby, let me know what you think of it please!! Have you read the sheet about how to get there? I will have to go by train as my parents are both working on the day and cannot get time off and I can't drive yet. Looks like there making a big fuss of the whole parents thing though! Anyway it sounds quite easy to get so and I was impressed by the fact that it has practically its own train station which would make it easy to get into the town centre - only 10 mins!!

Do you think we have to dress smart to these things or just causal, are you getting a nice buffet lunch too?
    Hehe yep! Seeing as I'll be meeting people who could potentially be on my course I kind've want to dress 'me' (I want to make a suitable group of friends at university! Tell me if I'm thinking too deeply into this!)

I live very close to Birmingham anyway, although I don't know it that well. My boyfriend knows the university and he's got an open day on the same day as me so I'm going to go guided by him...!

I'll let you know if it's nice or not!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.