Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing an article on study drugs and i'm alarmed at how popular they are in colleges in the US. There seems to be this kind of knee-jerk response to them. On one hand, there are all these medical studies about how bad they are, and on the other is a moral argument about how wrong it is. Is taking a drug such as Ritalin cheating in the same way that an athlete taking steroids is?

I'm really interested in any stories people have about study drugs. Not just the prescribed ones: maybe other stuff like caffine, energy drinks (V, Red Bull): the side effects, the positives, why and how (e.g. i've heard of some people snorting the crushed up pills: now that's hardcore!) caffine addictions, horror stories, urban myths etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the most I ever 'take' when I have a final deadline looming is caffeine...though I have to mix the coffee with hot chocolate because I don't like it on its own... :cool: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    Well, the most I ever 'take' when I have a final deadline looming is caffeine...though I have to mix the coffee with hot chocolate because I don't like it on its own... :cool: :p:
    Mocha!

ReputationRep:
    i occassionaly take GUARANA pills - to keep me awake...but i know they're addictive so i try avoid taking them

ReputationRep:
    red bull is my friend when working close to deadlines- had to do 3 nights without sleep last term to get the main project of this year in

ritalin, hmm. Would help me I suppose as I find it VERY hard to sit down and revise.

ReputationRep:
    pro plus? That usually works quite well

ReputationRep:
    It isn't cheating as they won't make a stupid person clever. They are, however, an unecessarily risky measure that you wouldn't have to take if you could be arsed organising your time.

ReputationRep:
    Mountain Dew, cant get enough of it, literally as they dont sell it over here. Every time I come back from america my bag is just full of Mt Dew.

ReputationRep:
    Cybercandy sell mountain dew mountain dew code red is damn nice stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    red bull is my friend when working close to deadlines- had to do 3 nights without sleep last term to get the main project of this year in

ritalin, hmm. Would help me I suppose as I find it VERY hard to sit down and revise.
    Can I just say, without being personal, it really makes me a bit confused when people say stuff like this. When you say you "had to" go without sleep for 3 nights what do you mean? Were you given this main project thee days before the deadline? I doubt it...

I think there's some sort of attitude which makes drinking black coffee/Red Bull and staying awake all night to work seem cool. At the end of the day it just messes up your body and you're less likely to work efficiently. In my opinion it's far from clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Can I just say, without being personal, it really makes me a bit confused when people say stuff like this. When you say you "had to" go without sleep for 3 nights what do you mean? Were you given this main project thee days before the deadline? I doubt it...

I think there's some sort of attitude which makes drinking black coffee/Red Bull and staying awake all night to work seem cool. At the end of the day it just messes up your body and you're less likely to work efficiently. In my opinion it's far from clever.
    Sometimes I have to stay awake three nights in a row because I have to work a job at the same time as studying at uni. I'm sure as hell not doing it for fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)

Has it occurred to you that some people find it so hard to get fully motivated, that it is to a great extent literally impossible for them to start work properly on a piece of work until a few days before the deadline? Or that the knowledge that you only have so many days/hours left can act as an efficient spur to get the work done?

It's not a question of thinking it's 'cool'! Some people just happen to work better that way. Having said that, I do think staying up all night three nights in a row is taking things a bit too far...

ReputationRep:
    The most I've ever done is two nights in a row - and I sure as hell wasn't doing that for fun, or to somehow look 'cool'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    Has it occurred to you that some people find it so hard to get fully motivated, that it is to a great extent literally impossible for them to start work properly on a piece of work until a few days before the deadline? Or that the knowledge that you only have so many days/hours left can act as an efficient spur to get the work done?
    That's how I used to work at uni. I never had to waste time or money on any of the junk being described in this thread, though.

ReputationRep:
    Until you've done an all-nighter trying to get a project finished for the next day, I don't think you've lived. It is a unique experience. But I haven't done that for a while, since I'm either being more organised or doing less work. I wouldn't take anything stronger than caffeine to keep me concentrating though.

ReputationRep:
    sure you are ... would you have me recommend where to get them?

ReputationRep:
    pro plus and diet coke binges are about as hardcore as i get... i've heard that those drugs can seriously increase your study efficiency... but since they're script-only, you'd have to acquire them by dodgy means... caffeine works fine for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    i occassionaly take GUARANA pills - to keep me awake...but i know they're addictive so i try avoid taking them
    i had a choc bar with guarana in it once. I became hyperaware for like 6 hours and couldnt sleep for ages. Maybe im just really sensitiv to it because other stuff isnt so effective for me

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.