good A levels for engineering Watch

double_m_786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
are these subjects a good choice for engienering at a top university providing i get all A's:

maths
further maths
physics
chemistry
neomilan
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
those are perfect
win2kpro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good choice, possibly the only 4 subjects that could be asked for if you wanted to do engineering? and Chemistry as in the case to do chemical engineering.
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Perfect!
Mr Nonsense
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
further maths is a really useful addition
and it is a whole load a fun too!
double_m_786
Rep:
?
if i wanted to do a fifth one are there any other suggestions
calvinuk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Design technology?
impervious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depending on your preference of engineering design and technology might have helped you. But in the eyes of universitys you will have no problems getting into most courses if you get A-B's.
double_m_786
Rep:
?
what about gcse grades
impervious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by double_m_786)
what about gcse grades
Where are you considering going and what course? Is it a popular course? Generally they don't really consider GCSEs. Its possibly they might want a high GCSE maths or a pass in English but I know mine didn't. If you check you the website for any unis you are interested in all the information should be there.
Mangaartist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Really good combination, I think.
heeheehee_ha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its a good choice but i'd also go for a humanities subject, just to show you're an all-rounder

if you go either french, german or geography, they'd still be useful in an engineering degree
maybe just do it for AS
double_m_786
Rep:
?
i was thinking maybe imperial or bristol. and my english and maths are A/A*
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i was thinking maybe imperial or bristol. and my english and maths are A/A*
if your gonna get A's in all of them, why not oxbridge? or are you one of these people that wants to live in a massive city with a big nightlife
mipegg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldnt bother with doing 5 if i were you. It seems to just be alot of extra work for not alot of benifit.

Those A-Levels seem pretty perfect for engineering, unless your after chemical engineering drop chemistry Id say
Grapevine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, those A-levels are fine. The fact that you needed to make a thread asking that question is, however, slightly worrying.
SiaSiaSia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
perfect!

if you wanted to do an extra it doesn't really matter what you do. My friend (who's now at Camb for civ engineering) did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Self-Taught Biology, Critical Thinking and General Studies.
fishpie57
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
are these subjects a good choice for engienering at a top university providing i get all A's:

maths
further maths
physics
chemistry
Snap! The only thing I'd add to everyone else's advice is that when you're doing Further Maths, you (may, depending on the school/college) get a choice as to which 'optional' modules you do: mechanics, statistics or decision. For engineering I'd suggest doing as many mechanics as possible - not only because they're more interesting (in my opinion, hehe!) but, as the name suggests, they're more physicsy/engineeringy and about solving problems you might encounter in engineering. And as you're doing A-Level Physics, you should find the Mechanics modules relatively straight-forward.

As for a fifth subject, I chose History (though I'm not aiming for engineering!) because it's analytical, it's different and it keeps up your essay-writing skills that you clearly demonstrated in GCSE English. But only do a fifth subject if it's something you really enjoy, and only to AS I'd suggest - it's a lot of hard work. A lot of hard work!

Good luck!! :woo:
gee:bee
Report 9 years ago
do you mean "A levels" or A's in your subjects?
If you mean "A levels" then good luck as that will be hella difficult to do 3/4 subjects.

I have also been told that "A level" Maths w/ mechanics is basically the 1st year course at uni!
double_m_786
Rep:
?
but ill only be able to get 5/6 A/A* when i hear people get rejected with 10 or more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.22%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise