The Student Room Group

Can you get a job at 14??????

hey i was jus wonderin if any1 knows places dat take on from 14 since id like to get bit of experience and make a little bit of money. I know not many places do take on but ive recently seen a few young people in some places.

Any help would be muchly apreciated
Paper Round
I started work on a paper round at 13, and then worked in a shop when i was 14. It was a small, local sort of shop though, so I don't know if I was supposed to be older..
You could try babysitting
Reply 4
i worked in an animal kennel/cattery when i was 14. kinda crap but the money was alright!
You can definitely get a paper round, and you might be able to find work in a shop or cafe, but they're not supposed to hire anyone under 15, so you'd have more luck in small, little-known places.
Reply 6
As other people said, delivering papers and advertisements is the best way to earn money. They pay is quite decent too, however it depends on the company you go to get the job.

Adding to kelly's point, you can work in restaurants and those kinds of places as you will be not allowed to and most importantly you are not insured.
dog walking. not only go you get the company of dogs, but you get all exercise you could possible ask for. but i suppose the pay will depend on the people whos dog you are walking.-or- get a paper round!!! and .. wait for it... do dog walking at the same time. it will be a handfull, but a great challenge nonetheless. :s i get to excited much to quickly.
Reply 8
What the others said is right...either a paper round or work in a small business. At 14 I got a job in a shop my friends parents own. But you won't get into any of the larger companies because they usually pay through the books, and so can't take anyone younger than I think it's 16.

Babysitting's also a good way to make money....but you'd be lucky if you can get a steady job doing that.
Reply 9
You wont be able to work in supermarkets until you are 16.

Get in grocery (cereals, tincans, soft drinks, etc), its the biggest and best department in all superstores. Dont believe the bull about working on tills. You have to constantly be nice to people and cant escape to the warehouse and take the piss.
Reply 10
im 15 and have worked in a bakery for nearly 2 years now...only in the shop part but its quite well paid
Reply 11
Bah I've had jobs since i was 13 and i've worked different jobs till now. Started on delivering a local free paper, then making sure the free paper got delivered (mwhahaha the power), then a car wash, then for 2 years a newsagent and now a glass collecter in manchester :smile:
Reply 12
I worked in a hair salon at about 14 i think. You just need to ask around really x

Latest